Rooney’s perfect striking partner?

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Rooney’s perfect striking partner?

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:46 pm

Interesting article in the Sunday Guardian newspaper today. Nice to see Korean football getting some more international exposure.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/sport/

If you’re old enough, You’re good enough

It’s one of the oldest cliches in modern football, the goal scoring grandmother. Messi scoring 91 goals in a season? My grandmother could score in that team. England’s latest shoot-out misery? Even my grandmother can hit the target from 12 yards. It’s just been another tired old cliche. But now, thanks to Korean club Daejeon Citizen, we’ll get the chance to find out if it’s true.

Thanks to a partnership with Daejeon Government, designed to raise awareness of the lack of workplace opportunities for the over 55s, the club have unveiled 73 year old local pensioner Chang Na-ra as their latest signing. And they’ve not stopped there. She’ll be starting up front for the team in next weeks league game against Gwangju FC.

The club admit it’s a gimmick, and that she’ll only play the first few minutes, but first team coach, Ko Jong-soo, seems pretty relaxed about the situation that has been forced on him. 'We’ve had her in training the last couple of weeks, and she can actually pass the ball pretty well’ says Ko. ‘and while she’s not the fastest, she’s probably not any slower than our other new signing, Shohruh Gadoev.’ He looks pensive for a minute ‘I’m not even joking', he then adds with a sigh.

Mrs. Chang herself is also fairly relaxed about her big debut this weekend. “I’ve had a lot of support’ she says ‘and I’ve had a lot of good advice. Kazuyoshi Miura (a Japanese footballer still playing at 51) contacted me to wish me well and gave me some tips on how to quickly recover after training’ He’s not been the only footballer to offer advice it turns out. ‘I was a bit worried about my hair, but it turns out that I share a hairdresser with (former Korean internationalist) Ahn Jung-hwan, and he’s told me how to take care of my perm during the game.

While the project is being seen as quite light hearted, it does highlight what is a fairly serious issue in Korea. Many companies focus on hiring young office workers who are seen as being better educated, having higher levels of productivity and being more flexible in work practices. The local Daejeon government is keen to turn this around, and see using the local team as an ideal platform to raise the issue.

However some Citizen fans are not so keen. ’The K2 league is already a mountain for us to climb’ complained one local fan, who was a season ticket holder until advised to give it up by his doctor. ‘Mind you, she can’t be any worse than Pedro I suppose.’

As for Mrs. Chang herself, what does she think the future holds for her in her football career? “Well, physically I’m well past my peak now’ she admits ’So I could well get an opportunity at Suwon Bluewings’. She’s not wanting to stop there either ‘I also attended the same college as current Korean National Team coach Shin Tae-yong, so who knows, maybe a trip to Russia this summer as well?’.

In a season where Gyeongnam and Gangwon sit joint top of the league, it seems anything is possible.
Bring back King Cha.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Re: Rooney’s perfect striking partner?

Postby paquebot » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:11 pm

Nice 'article' and I appreciate the effort put into getting all the little details accurate. I suppose I shouldn't expect anything less from The Guardian, eh?

Still have fond memories of Seoul Martyrs' goalkeeper experiment from a couple seasons ago; definitely another great addition to the forum.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:39 am

Thank you, I'm looking forward to seeing what the Guardian has in store for us next year. Hopefully some tales from Cabbage Country. :0)
Bring back King Cha.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:53 am

This must not be genuine, as Jang Nara is 75.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:48 am

75 in Korean age, but 73 in Western age. The Guardian is never wrong.
Bring back King Cha.

Return to “K League”