Football club files appeal to amend promotion playoff result in 2016

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
User avatar
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 11605
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:57 pm
Contact:

Football club files appeal to amend promotion playoff result in 2016

Postby Holyjoe » Thu May 04, 2017 7:26 pm

Nice try, but fuck you Seongnam. :smt109

Football club files appeal to amend promotion playoff result in 2016
2017-05-04

SEOUL, May 4 (Yonhap) -- South Korean football club Seongnam FC said on Wednesday they have filed an appeal with the K League, the operator of the country's professional football leagues, over their opponents' fielding of an ineligible player in a playoff match last year.

Seongnam said they recently sent a formal document to the K League demanding that the second leg of the promotion playoffs on Nov. 20, 2016, be forfeited due to Gangwon FC's use of an ineligible player. Seongnam added they should have been awarded a 3-0 win as a result.




Seongnam, which finished 11th in the top-flight K League Classic in 2016, had to face then-second tier club Gangwon in the two-leg playoff series to remain in the first division for the 2017 season. However, Seongnam failed to clear the mission as they lost to Gangwon on the away goals rule.

Seongnam played to a scoreless draw in the first leg on the road before picking up a 1-1 stalemate at home in the second leg. The result dropped Seongnam to the second division for the first time in their club history, a real shocker for the seven-time first-division winners.

"We've requested the K League to take proper measures for our losses stemming from not playing in the 2017 K League Classic," Seongnam said. "If the K League doesn't take notable action, we will take legal steps."



In this file photo taken on Nov. 20, 2016, Seongnam FC players react after being relegated to the second division K League Challenge after losing the promotion playoff rounds to Gangwon FC. (Yonhap)


Seongnam claimed that then-Gangwon midfielder Sergio Paulo Nascimento Filho, better known as Serginho, was ineligible to play in the second leg because he was under investigation by South Korea police over using a fake passport.

Serginho had dual citizenship in Brazil and Syria when he joined Gangwon last June through the league's Asian player quota. However, it turned out his Syrian passport had been doctored and the 29-year-old footballer eventually had to be kicked out of South Korea.

According to the K League code, a club needs to file a complaint against an opponent's fielding of an ineligible player within 48 hours after their match. Seongnam said they had filed the complaint less two days after the second leg.

The K League said it's difficult to accept Seongnam's request, saying Serginho was not considered ineligible when he played against Seongnam.

"Serginho wasn't confirmed as an ineligible player then," a K League official said. "So, it's difficult to overturn the match result. We're still examining reasons why Seongnam has filed an appeal."

Seongnam are currently the bottom dwellers in the 10-team K League Challenge, while Gangwon sit in 10th place in the 12-team K League Classic.

User avatar
eujin
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 5046
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:04 pm
Location: Hanover, Germany

Re: Football club files appeal to amend promotion playoff result in 2016

Postby eujin » Fri May 05, 2017 7:14 am

I've said it before. Leagues and FAs need to approve player squad lists before they start playing football.

User avatar
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 11605
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Football club files appeal to amend promotion playoff result in 2016

Postby Holyjoe » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:35 am

If Gangwon were a blue and white football club from Scotland then they'd have nothing to worry about as the national footballing governing body would see no merit in retrospectively amending match results when it's been proven players were improperly registered...

K League appeals court order to revise 2016 playoff results
Sept 15,2017

Korea’s pro football league said Thursday that it has filed an appeal against a mediation order from a local court that recommended amending last year’s promotion playoff result.

The K League said it filed an appeal with the Seoul Central District Court to challenge its mediation committee’s order that the second leg of the promotion playoff match between Seongnam FC and Gangwon FC on Nov. 20, 2016, should be forfeited. The mediators said Seongnam should have been awarded a 3-0 win since Gangwon used an ineligible player.

Under the Judicial Conciliation of Civil Disputes Act, a trial begins when one party files an appeal within two weeks following court-supervised mediations.

“If we award a 3-0 victory to Seongnam, it will bring chaos to the league system because the promotion result will change,” an official from the K League said. “In order to stably operate the league, we had no choice but to appeal.”

Seongnam, which finished 11th in the top-flight K League Classic in 2016, had to face then-second-tier club Gangwon in the two-leg playoff series to remain in the first division for the 2017 season. However, Seongnam failed to clear the mission as they lost to Gangwon on the away goals rule.

Seongnam played to a scoreless draw in the first leg on the road before picking up a 1-1 stalemate at home in the second leg. The result dropped Seongnam to the second division for the first time in their club history, a real shocker for the seven-time first-division winners.

Seongnam claimed that then-Gangwon midfielder Sergio Paulo Nascimento Filho, better known as Serginho, was ineligible to play in the second leg because he was under investigation by Korean police over using a fake passport. The club claimed that thus, it should be given a 3-0 win by forfeit.

Serginho had dual citizenship in Brazil and Syria when he joined Gangwon last June through the league’s Asian player quota.

However, it turned out his Syrian passport had been doctored, and the 29-year-old footballer eventually had to be kicked out of Korea.

Seongnam then tried to appeal to the K League office about the playoff result and Gangwon’s use of an ineligible player. But after their effort was rejected, the club decided to take a legal step and filed a court-supervised civil mediation.

User avatar
eujin
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 5046
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:04 pm
Location: Hanover, Germany

Re: Football club files appeal to amend promotion playoff result in 2016

Postby eujin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:10 am

Surely the easiest thing for the league to do is amend the playoff result, give Seongnam a 3-0 walkover....and then do nothing.

If Seongnam take that to court then they could stick them in the K-League Classic this year starting with zero points since they haven't played any matches yet. They have more chance of being in the K-League Classic next year if they turn that down and stay in th K-League Challenge. But if they then manage to get a court to agree that the 30-odd matches they've already missed this season need to be made up....yeah, well, then I don't know what they do. The courts should also insist that all 74 paying spectators turn up to those make-up matches too, just to make sure Seongnam don't miss out on any gate money and any player that transfered to another club come back and play for their original club if they would have played against Seongnam.

Unfortunately, none of these exciting legal possibilities will come to pass and the league will manage to sweep it all away with a brush of common sense.


Return to “K League”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest