2016 K-League Classic, rounds 19 onwards

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Re: 2016 K-League Classic, rounds 19 onwards

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:40 am

MipoFanatic wrote:Incheon manager Kim Do-hoon has resigned. Assistant manager Lee Ki-hyung will serve as caretaker.

As a player, Kim broke the K-League season goals record back in 2003 with 28. He took some heat on this board's predecessor for making public remarks about not wanting to let a foreign player set the new record. There were also rumours of match-fixing that season (e.g. Seongnam went winless in their last three games, yet Kim scored six goals).

Yes, I'm old.

I'd love for it to come out that the Seongnam side of that era were cheating bastards and they end up having their titles stripped because I really do not like them, but by god were they a good side. I didn't see the all-conquering Suwon side of 1998~2000 who were meant to have been the strongest all-round Korean club team but that Seongnam side would be a strong contender.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:55 pm

After the shame of losing to lowly Suwon Bluewings the Seongnam manager Kim Hak-bum has tendered his resignation. They had a pretty decent start to the year and were looking good but the past few months they've been extremely poor so it's perhaps no surprise he's gone.

At one stage they had a commanding lead in the table over Suwon but that defeat leaves them just four points ahead with four games to go before the split and they've also now dropped out the top six. It's pretty tight from third to tenth really, Ulsan sit third on 42 points and Suwon tenth on 34. Suwon might have left it a bit too late to get into the top six (Sangju and Gwangju in 5th & 6th both in 40 points) but there's still quite a bit to play for before the split.

Suwon are not out of relegation danger either as both clubs below them, Suwon FC and Incheon, won at the weekend as well so that issue is still alive and at the top FC Seoul's title chances hinge on whenever (if ever) the K-League official types get their collective fingers out and hand down an appropriate punishment to Jeonbuk Hyundai Cheatingbastards...

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:55 am

we used to be that other team that was good and people were cool with us... are we the new scum bags? because of that Fking agent who was sojued up? i think that seoul need to be perfect but with the afc and fa cup in their eye sights, it might not be the thing they r chasing. they lost the afc titles and are hungry for it a am sure, like JBFC is.... bluewings and seongnam falling this far is a bit of a surprise.... sangju just lost a bunch of players so their starting line up should change a bit...
well well well

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:49 am

Holyjoe wrote:After the shame of losing to lowly Suwon Bluewings the Seongnam manager Kim Hak-bum has tendered his resignation. They had a pretty decent start to the year and were looking good but the past few months they've been extremely poor so it's perhaps no surprise he's gone.

Remind me again why so many people (including many on this forum) predicted heady results from Seongnam this season?

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:06 pm

MipoFanatic wrote:
Holyjoe wrote:After the shame of losing to lowly Suwon Bluewings the Seongnam manager Kim Hak-bum has tendered his resignation. They had a pretty decent start to the year and were looking good but the past few months they've been extremely poor so it's perhaps no surprise he's gone.

Remind me again why so many people (including many on this forum) predicted heady results from Seongnam this season?

Tiago started well. And then they sold him and it all went wrong.

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:44 am

MipoFanatic wrote:Remind me again why so many people (including many on this forum) predicted heady results from Seongnam this season?

If we're playing that game, there was someone on here tipping Pohang for the title. :smt117

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:59 am

Hah. I thought some people might misinterpret my question as sarcasm.

It was a genuine question, though. Many people expected Seongnam to do well, and they did... for a while. Why the high expectations? Kim Hak-bum (wha-hey!) as the new manager? Building on a fifth-place finish from 2015? What happened during the close season that got the former Cultists so excited?

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:30 am

Get yourselves along to Ulsan this weekend, Byungji fans.. everyone's favourite Korean goalie is putting on a "performance" at half time. If you're a "special fan" then you get on the pitch with him as well apparently which could be fun.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:59 am

Surely not a mullet-cutting session! :shock:

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:34 am

Not 100% sure I follow this logic, but Pohang's official supporters group "토르치다" have stated that because they're so pissed off with the substandard performances so far this season and the fact the team is currently sitting ninth and in danger of finishing in the bottom half of the split for the first time, rather than backing the team in their attempt to overhaul the five point gap between themselves and sixth place they're going to boycott the final four pre-split matches. That'll show them.

weka
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby weka » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:47 pm

Oh, look, Ulsan Hyundai is above Seoul in GA. Guess who is Ulsan's #1 GK?

Kim Yongdae.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:30 pm

Meh, Pohang has them both beat.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:56 pm

weka wrote:Oh, look, Ulsan Hyundai is above Seoul in GA. Guess who is Ulsan's #1 GK?

Kim Yongdae.

Every time I've seen them he's not played!

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:59 pm

Kim Byung-ji is better than everyone, he's not conceded any goals this year!

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:03 pm

Anyway mentioned in the trivia thread but worth putting here, Sangju's home match against Incheon today has been postponed because the pitch is totally unplayable after a ton of rain. They've taken the decision to reschedule the game for tomorrow but they've switched the venue and this will now be a home game for Incheon. Surprised that's been allowed as it perhaps gives Incheon an unexpected advantage in their relegation battle..

The league are to convene their disciplinary committee to look at whether Sangju should be punished for not taking better measures to keep the pitch in shape. Bet they'll sort that one out pretty quickly and hand down a nice little fine by the middle of next week, not like the K-League have any other urgent major breaches of league rules & regulations to be dealing with or anything right now. :roll:

Return to “K League”