2015 K-League Challenge Play-offs

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
User avatar
SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender
Posts: 3595
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:52 am
Location: Eunpyeong-gu, Seoul

2015 K-League Challenge Play-offs

Postby SteveW » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:57 am

Almost hadn't twigged these start on Wednesday night so thought I'd start a new thread.

First up is Suwon v Seoul E-Land. Smart money should be on a comfortable home win so I'm going for E-Land to sneak it. Some of those international players have to put in a performance at some point so now is as good a time as any.

Winner goes on to take on Daegu on Saturday. Good news for E-Land of course is that Gwangju have shown them how it's done last season.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

User avatar
changwonmatty
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: K-League Challenge Play-offs

Postby changwonmatty » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:30 am

I think any of these teams can beat Busan. I wont be surprised to see Busan adding to the Gyeongnam component in the challenge next season.
Kleague Classic (9) - 서울WC, 수원WC, 인천숭의, 성남탄천, 전주WC, 포항스틸야드, 울산문수, 광주WC,상주종합
Kleague Challenge (9) - 창원축구센터, 창원종합, 마산종합, 진주종합, 양산종합, 대구종합, 함안종합, 부산아시아드, 대전WC
National League (3) - 창원축구센터, 부산구덕, 울산장합

User avatar
Evergreen
National League champion
National League champion
Posts: 1750
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: Sejong City
Contact:

Re: K-League Challenge Play-offs

Postby Evergreen » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:37 pm

Yes Busan are p**s poor. I'd wager any of the three sides to beat them. I suppose it depends how much Hyundai want them in the top flight will determine if they go down though.
Image

User avatar
Sampo
National League champion
National League champion
Posts: 1817
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:49 am

Re: K-League Challenge Play-offs

Postby Sampo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:00 pm

So Suwon and Seoul tied 3-3 in Suwon tonight and Suwon are moving on to play Daegu on Saturday? I am not understanding how they determined it, but that's how its working out.

User avatar
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 11625
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:57 pm
Contact:

Re: K-League Challenge Play-offs

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:12 pm

Yeah the home team in the one legged K2 playoffs only need a draw to progress, the away team needs to win in 90 minutes to go through. Really don't know what the point of that rule was, playing at home should be enough of an advantage without pretty much redefining the aim of the game of football as well.

User avatar
MrRyanWalters
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:42 am
Location: Gwangyang
Contact:

Re: K-League Challenge Play-offs

Postby MrRyanWalters » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:09 pm

The winning team has another match on Saturday, so maybe it's an attempt to save some legs? But... 30 extra minutes for a chance at promotion doesn't seem like too much. I suppose you could also say it puts more emphasis on winning during the regular season to ensure home field... but I really don't like the rule. Especially after tonight's match. That game deserved extra time.

User avatar
SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender
Posts: 3595
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:52 am
Location: Eunpyeong-gu, Seoul

Re: K-League Challenge Play-offs

Postby SteveW » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:17 am

Not a fan of the rule but I guess it encourages teams to go out and try to win rather than be cagey and hope for a draw and ET/penalties.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

User avatar
daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:28 pm
Location: Seoul
Contact:

Re: K-League Challenge Play-offs

Postby daeguowl » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:22 am

Went to the game with Korea Racing and it was a very entertaining game but absolutely appalling conditions for the 1,200 fans in attendance. All in all, i think Suwon probably deserved it. Another ground ticked off!

User avatar
changwonmatty
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: K-League Challenge Play-offs

Postby changwonmatty » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:01 am

I just saw the second half but it looked entertaining. End to end action.
I am going for Suwon to beat Daegu for two reasons...
1. A Suwon derby would be great
2. I want Daegu to stay down so I can finally tick the Daegu WC off the list.
Kleague Classic (9) - 서울WC, 수원WC, 인천숭의, 성남탄천, 전주WC, 포항스틸야드, 울산문수, 광주WC,상주종합
Kleague Challenge (9) - 창원축구센터, 창원종합, 마산종합, 진주종합, 양산종합, 대구종합, 함안종합, 부산아시아드, 대전WC
National League (3) - 창원축구센터, 부산구덕, 울산장합

User avatar
Alex43
National League champion
National League champion
Posts: 1897
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:17 am

Re: K-League Challenge Play-offs

Postby Alex43 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:19 am

changwonmatty wrote:I just saw the second half but it looked entertaining. End to end action.
I am going for Suwon to beat Daegu for two reasons...
1. A Suwon derby would be great
2. I want Daegu to stay down so I can finally tick the Daegu WC off the list.


daegu isnt a very fun city from what i have seen, but i havent been out at night so i guess i dont get a say in that. it's just big and massive and everything is spread out. i'd probably say the same about daejeon if i hadn't had so much fun evergreen left me on a picnic table to go have another beer with charlie (forgot his tag name)

anyways their tadium isn't bad for a place with a track as it is steep and you can get a decent view from the stands on the sides. behind the goals is horrible! just horrible... i wonder if koreans would go to baseball games is they had tracks around their stadiums as well....

(in the off season, let's have a stadium playoff... random draw and place 32 stadiums in a 'tournament bracket'... thoughts for the off season entertainment?)
well well well

User avatar
Sampo
National League champion
National League champion
Posts: 1817
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:49 am

Re: K-League Challenge Play-offs

Postby Sampo » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:35 am

Only 32 stadiums?!

User avatar
changwonmatty
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: K-League Challenge Play-offs

Postby changwonmatty » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:07 am

Alex43 wrote:
changwonmatty wrote:I just saw the second half but it looked entertaining. End to end action.
I am going for Suwon to beat Daegu for two reasons...
1. A Suwon derby would be great
2. I want Daegu to stay down so I can finally tick the Daegu WC off the list.


daegu isnt a very fun city from what i have seen, but i havent been out at night so i guess i dont get a say in that. it's just big and massive and everything is spread out. i'd probably say the same about daejeon if i hadn't had so much fun evergreen left me on a picnic table to go have another beer with charlie (forgot his tag name)


Have done about 5-6 big nights in Daegu over the years and always had a great laugh. I like it so much I even had my 10th year anniversary in Korea and farewell to Korea pissups there. Downtown at night is quite compact for such a large city and a few good bars strewn about because of the military base in the city.....highly recommend it.
Kleague Classic (9) - 서울WC, 수원WC, 인천숭의, 성남탄천, 전주WC, 포항스틸야드, 울산문수, 광주WC,상주종합
Kleague Challenge (9) - 창원축구센터, 창원종합, 마산종합, 진주종합, 양산종합, 대구종합, 함안종합, 부산아시아드, 대전WC
National League (3) - 창원축구센터, 부산구덕, 울산장합

User avatar
Gyongmaman
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:08 pm

Re: K-League Challenge Play-offs

Postby Gyongmaman » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:07 pm

Before the game I thought it was a stupid rule but after sitting there in the freezing cold and the wet and the wind for 90 minutes (Suwon giving everybody a heatpack and a plastic raincoat on the way in mitigated it only enough to allow fingers to thaw in order to open beer cans) I decided that rule was the best thing the K-League had ever done! Absolutely tremendous game - which may even have been helped by Eland especially knowing that playing for extra-time and penalties wasn't an option. It does beg the question though that if you think the team finishing higher deserves home advantage and additionally only needs a draw, then why should they have to go through a playoff at all?

Wasn't impressed with Eland and the silent crowd nursing its craft beer and churros when I went to Jamsil earlier in the season but they had a decent turnout of around 100 who didn't get a raincoat but still made a bit of noise all evening. Interesting to see if they can push on next season.

Plus on a nice day, that stadium (or maybe the practice pitch outside, they'll not need many seats) won't be a bad home for the Bluewings next year. :wink:

User avatar
Alex43
National League champion
National League champion
Posts: 1897
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:17 am

Re: K-League Challenge Play-offs

Postby Alex43 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:51 pm

Sampo wrote:Only 32 stadiums?!


64?
well well well

User avatar
Alex43
National League champion
National League champion
Posts: 1897
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:17 am

Re: K-League Challenge Play-offs

Postby Alex43 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:51 pm

changwonmatty wrote:
Alex43 wrote:
changwonmatty wrote:I just saw the second half but it looked entertaining. End to end action.
I am going for Suwon to beat Daegu for two reasons...
1. A Suwon derby would be great
2. I want Daegu to stay down so I can finally tick the Daegu WC off the list.


daegu isnt a very fun city from what i have seen, but i havent been out at night so i guess i dont get a say in that. it's just big and massive and everything is spread out. i'd probably say the same about daejeon if i hadn't had so much fun evergreen left me on a picnic table to go have another beer with charlie (forgot his tag name)


Have done about 5-6 big nights in Daegu over the years and always had a great laugh. I like it so much I even had my 10th year anniversary in Korea and farewell to Korea pissups there. Downtown at night is quite compact for such a large city and a few good bars strewn about because of the military base in the city.....highly recommend it.


noted and will not pass it up next time!
well well well


Return to “K League”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests