2015 Awards

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Re: 2015 Awards

Postby daeguowl » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:33 pm

eujin wrote:For my part, the stadium in Ulsan is the worst of the trackless World Cup stadiums. Apart from the lake outside it's a featureless Euroborg in Korea. It's miles from town, a lot of the steps are loose, the conveniences are shit and there's never anyone there. Happy memories of the Uruguay match but even that one was half full.

Jeonbuk is far worse...the concrete is crumbling, it's miles from anywhere, there's nowhere really to eat and there's the pungent odour of pigshit at every game.

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:03 am

daeguowl wrote:
eujin wrote:For my part, the stadium in Ulsan is the worst of the trackless World Cup stadiums. Apart from the lake outside it's a featureless Euroborg in Korea. It's miles from town, a lot of the steps are loose, the conveniences are shit and there's never anyone there. Happy memories of the Uruguay match but even that one was half full.

Jeonbuk is far worse...the concrete is crumbling, it's miles from anywhere, there's nowhere really to eat and there's the pungent odour of pigshit at every game.

one of the reasons i love fc seoul is cause it's convenient. not the soccer, just cause that it is convenient. i mean, it has shit history, but we over look that cause the McDs founder (great org as well!) came to our game, the fans (the smallest fraction of the place it actually represents) are 'true'. traveling to other places that dont have extensive subway systems is just outrageous. i mean, we are seoul. everything revolves around us...
well well well

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:28 am

Didn't see any signs of crumbling at Jeonju but maybe the away end is in bad condition. Or maybe it was just full and you couldn't see it.

Sangam is about 90% fuds, I couldn't handle going to that place on a regular basis. Seems to be getting worse as well the more random whiteys turn up.

There really should be a vetting process for foreigners going to football - if you can't name at least 6 K3 teams then you don't get in. 10 if you have a North American accent.

Jamsil seems to attract the same type so maybe its just a Seoul thing.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Postby eujin » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:42 am

SteveW wrote:Ulsan skoosh it 5-0.

Only if you completely ignore having a stadium more than ten times the size of the average crowd.

It's 5km from Pohang station to the Steelyard. The buses are every ten minutes and you could walk it in an hour. The same hour it would take to get from Ulsan station to Munsu just by bus.

And criticising a place for looking "tired and dated" is a shocking thing for a groudhopper to say. Only daytrippers and town councillors are supposed to think like that.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:05 am

SteveW wrote:Didn't see any signs of crumbling at Jeonju but maybe the away end is in bad condition. Or maybe it was just full and you couldn't see it.

They'd covered it all up with wooden decking last time I went. My point is that Daejeon, Daegu, Sangam, Suwon, Jeju, Ulsan and Jeonju were all built about the same time but Jeonju looks substantially more decrepit.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:06 am

SteveW wrote:There really should be a vetting process for foreigners going to football - if you can't name at least 6 K3 teams then you don't get in. 10 if you have a North American accent.

10 K3 clubs for anyone with a North American accent? Fantastic, I can do that.

Makes me think of The Joy of Six: hipsters' favourite football clubs
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:50 am

Test was designed so you would pass it paquebot.

St Pauli was definitely on my radar as a magnet for fuds. Guam national team seems to be going that way as well.

Others I hadn't particularly noticed yet.

Eland should have been the hipster team for Koreans but they fucked up everything about the marketing from the start.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:58 am

eujin wrote:

Only if you completely ignore having a stadium more than ten times the size of the average crowd.

It's 5km from Pohang station to the Steelyard. The buses are every ten minutes and you could walk it in an hour. The same hour it would take to get from Ulsan station to Munsu just by bus.

And criticising a place for looking "tired and dated" is a shocking thing for a groudhopper to say. Only daytrippers and town councillors are supposed to think like that.

Didn't realise the Munsu could fit 75000 in it. As I've said all along my ranking was based on how I enjoyed my day and Pohang was a disappointment while Ulsan was a pleasant surprise.

If you just go by bricks and mortar then you can't beat Sangam but it takes more than bricks to make a good day out.

Of all the WC grounds I would say Daejeon is in the worst nick but to be honest a lot of it is based on whether they have something else to distract the eyes. When I went to Jeonju there was loads of stuff going on around the ground and it was busy. When I went to Daejeon it was fairly dead and you could see where things needed a coat of paint.

As for the Munsu there seemed to be a bit of life not that far away near the uni. Pohang... still looking for it.

changwonmatty
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby changwonmatty » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:09 am

I have been to all the WC stadiums except for Jeju and I would say the one that is looking the worst for wear is Gwangju.....haven't been there for a few years but the place really needed a paintjob even then. It looked shocking, still had the original Budweiser stickers up from the World Cup ten years later, plus a terrible atmosphere as well.

As for Ulsan, it is showing its age a bit but I don't mind it, especially if you drive, really easy to get to. It is not too far to find a convenience store. I think all the WC stadiums are out of the city so doesn't really matter. Been to Jeonju twice and never saw any concrete crumbling, for the size of the city (only about 600 000) I think its a great stadium.

Pohang is looking old that's for sure but it has its charms. Looks like a sardine can but that keeps the noise inside. I think out of all the stadiums it is worse served by its surrounding area with nothing but factories. However, been there twice and the store has never run out of beer so that is all that really matters. :drunken: :drunken:
Kleague Classic (9) - 서울WC, 수원WC, 인천숭의, 성남탄천, 전주WC, 포항스틸야드, 울산문수, 광주WC,상주종합
Kleague Challenge (9) - 창원축구센터, 창원종합, 마산종합, 진주종합, 양산종합, 대구종합, 함안종합, 부산아시아드, 대전WC
National League (3) - 창원축구센터, 부산구덕, 울산장합

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:45 pm

daeguowl wrote:
SteveW wrote:Didn't see any signs of crumbling at Jeonju but maybe the away end is in bad condition. Or maybe it was just full and you couldn't see it.

They'd covered it all up with wooden decking last time I went. My point is that Daejeon, Daegu, Sangam, Suwon, Jeju, Ulsan and Jeonju were all built about the same time but Jeonju looks substantially more decrepit.

we have more fans = more wear and tear

i wonder how much up keep for the moat around the castle would cost annually cause it would look great. the stadium isn't falling apart structurally however there are some tiles that need replacing. we dont hold kpop events every other weeks as the stadium is really just used for footy so there isnt the funds coming into it like a suwon or sangam. there also isnt a big chain store connected to it, (or a cgv) like gwangju, sangam and jeju. they have redone some work to the stairs but not sure how permanent that will be. the small city of jeonju is operating to footy stadiums with only on being used regularly.
well well well

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:43 pm

SteveW wrote:Didn't realise the Munsu could fit 75000 in it.

That's not a problem as long as you realise that the reported crowd figures aren't the same as the number of actual people at the match.

They've just finished refurbishing St Pauli's ground. One of the first things I think when I see someone wearing St Pauli gear is they probably don't like football, that's how hipster they are. Dulwich is where Korea played their first international.

Is this comment below the article from you paquebot?
Right-wingers can choose Racing Strasbourg.Waving German flags,singing chants against France,Homosexuelles,Immigrants-pretty awful.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:49 am

eujin wrote:Is this comment below the article from you paquebot?
Right-wingers can choose Racing Strasbourg.Waving German flags,singing chants against France,Homosexuelles,Immigrants-pretty awful.

No, it's not. I've always followed RC Strasbourg from afar so don't know much about their various supporter groups. A few SG names, sure, but nothing detailed about their general outlook. The club does seem to have a close relationship with Karlsruher SC, and since Elsässerditsch is the local dialect I can understand some German flags being flown at matches for cultural reasons. Sad to hear that there are anti-homosexual and anti-immigrant feelings expressed at matches though.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

Sampo
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Sampo » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:39 pm

eujin wrote:

Pohang station closed last year. :(

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:11 pm

Oh and Pohang has two bloody bus stations with confusing names so you end up getting the bus to the wrong one and having to walk to the other one with a sore foot after falling in the shower of a Busan love motel the day before. That counts against it as well.

Sampo
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Sampo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:28 am

SteveW wrote:Oh and Pohang has two bloody bus stations with confusing names so you end up getting the bus to the wrong one and having to walk to the other one with a sore foot after falling in the shower of a Busan love motel the day before. That counts against it as well.

Yeah, no other city in Korea does that. :albino:

Return to “K League”