2015 Awards

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
MrRyanWalters
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

2015 Awards

Postby MrRyanWalters » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:36 pm

Hey gents,

We're currently compiling a list of players for 2015 season awards and would love to hear your two cents. It's pretty basic stuff like MVP, Golden Glove, Offensive/Defensive Player of the Year, etc. You can find the form here: http://bit.ly/1R2QdlK. There will be a full write up on all of it soon and a mention to anything you'd like linked and certainly the ROK forum.

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Re: 2015 Awards

Postby OttoSilver » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:20 pm

I nominate 유상훈 for the "Dick Between the Sticks" award. :smt115
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:45 pm

OttoSilver wrote:I nominate 유상훈 for the "Dick Between the Sticks" award. :smt115

As of this weekend he has the best minutes played per goal conceded in the K-League... Not bad for someone that looks really shaky most of the time

MrRyanWalters
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby MrRyanWalters » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:26 pm

Went for a slightly different name, but 유상훈's counterpart 유현 is up for the Golden Glove. That and a bunch of other good shit is down to a multiple choice vote if you'd like to throw in your two cents. If nothing else, the YouTube clips for Goal of the Year are worth a few minutes. You gents suggested some damn fine gems. Vote here: http://www.kleagueunited.com/2015/10/vo ... wards.html

changwonmatty
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby changwonmatty » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:58 am

Would vote but I have not watched one single kleague classic game this season so no idea... goal of the season I might have a crack at.

I think the problem with foreigner kleague support, in the past, present, and future which gives a great site like yours little coverage is due to two main factors:
1. If foreigners do follow a kleague team then they often have very little knowledge of the rest of the league outside perhaps a rough ranking of teams and a couple of key players.
2. There is very little media for them to follow and often with a lot only here for the short-term and are just following the team for the experience this means that don't either search out info about the league and/or don't care.
Kleague Classic (9) - 서울WC, 수원WC, 인천숭의, 성남탄천, 전주WC, 포항스틸야드, 울산문수, 광주WC,상주종합
Kleague Challenge (9) - 창원축구센터, 창원종합, 마산종합, 진주종합, 양산종합, 대구종합, 함안종합, 부산아시아드, 대전WC
National League (3) - 창원축구센터, 부산구덕, 울산장합

MrRyanWalters
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby MrRyanWalters » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:54 am

Cheers for calling it a great site! I don't think it'll ever get huge numbers, but we're seeing a decent amount of traffic from foreign players home countries and a surprising amount of English speaking Koreans are following the blog. It'd be great to get more, but really it's just for a bit of fun. The main idea has always been to create a single hub, so if/when people do come and go their content (and the team's coverage) lives on for future writers to pick up the torch as opposed to some of the great individual blogs disappearing into the interwebs void after they're done.

If nothing else, I'm hoping people will at least take a look at the YouTube clips for Goal of the Year and have some fun voting for that. Maybe in future versions of the awards I'll be able to hunt down some highlight videos for each player... who knows.

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Postby eujin » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:38 pm

MrRyanWalters wrote:The main idea has always been to create a single hub, so if/when people do come and go their content (and the team's coverage) lives on for future writers to pick up the torch as opposed to some of the great individual blogs disappearing into the interwebs void after they're done.

Just out of curiosity, what was it about this site that's being going for over ten years now, that made you feel the need for a single hub where stuff can live on after people leave? I'm genuinely curious. There's something about the internet and its need to be forever new that doesn't really lend itself to permanence.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:48 am

eujin wrote:
MrRyanWalters wrote:The main idea has always been to create a single hub, so if/when people do come and go their content (and the team's coverage) lives on for future writers to pick up the torch as opposed to some of the great individual blogs disappearing into the interwebs void after they're done.

Just out of curiosity, what was it about this site that's being going for over ten years now, that made you feel the need for a single hub where stuff can live on after people leave? I'm genuinely curious. There's something about the internet and its need to be forever new that doesn't really lend itself to permanence.

"The main idea has always been to create a single hub ... with my name associated with it." :D
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:02 am

My trolling of Steve's 2015 award for best stadium didn't show up on the kleagueunited site (or was it deleted :smt108 ) so I might as well post it here, a kind of "hub" for commentary that doesn't disappear if you will.

"The twelve" A Groundhoppers Guide to the K-League Classic Stadia
6. Steelyard
I think this one suffered from raised expectations as everyone had told me that this is the best place to watch football in Korea. You can't beat the view at least - it's a proper football-specific stadium and small enough at 25,000 seats that you almost feel you could stick out a leg and trip the opposition winger. It's 25 years old now though and starting to feel a little bit dated and tired in some places. The atmosphere was a little disappointing as well. Maybe another one that suffered from the team on the park being a little off the pace this season.

A little off the pace this season? The team that's second in the league? Are you sure you didn't get lost somewhere around Gyeongju and mix Pohang up with Ulsan, which was amazingly "just edged" for first place by Jeonju?

Complain the entire article about stadia that are too big with no fans and a shit team and then rank Ulsan second? :smt102

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:00 am

They might be 2nd now but they've been down in 5th or so most of the year. And been shite.

When I went to see them they were on a run of 3 wins in 10.

And the 4500 at Ulsan made more atmosphere than the claimed 14000 at Pohang.

Why?

Cheerleaders. :P
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

MrRyanWalters
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby MrRyanWalters » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:02 am

Hey eujin,

As I've stated on here many many times, starting K-League United was in no way a snub to this site. I often reference ROK Football and obviously appreciate the longevity of this site and the banter on here. However, it doesn't offer the ability for long form commentary/analysis/whatever-you-want-to-call-it in the same way as blogging. That's it. There's an ocean of difference between forums and articles and that's the main idea behind starting KLU. This forum serves as a single hub for people to have discussions and talk about the league and it's great. KLU is a similar idea in a different format. The insinuation that all aspects of sport can (or should) be covered by a forum would suggest Reddit should be the only source for news and information on all of our favorite teams.

As far as work living on when people leave, it again comes down to the difference between forums and blogs. I'm currently living in Gwangyang and covering the Dragons. When researching the team a bit before landing here I found several sites (on the 10th page of google results) that now sit dormant. There was a lot of work that went into those sites and the hope w/ KLU is that people's previous work won't be so hard to find when someone searches "K League" or "K League English" on google (or Naver or whatever). Instead of some well written and well worked articles kind of disappearing into the interwebs, they'll keep a home on a site other writers will reference and link to in the future. Yes this forum does a fantastic job of maintaining people's words over time, but again there's a vast difference between long form blogging and forum conversations. And again, I'm not implying one's better than the other. Just different.

As for your comments on Steve's stadium article, I assure you they weren't deleted. "Troll" comments are still comments and something that would drive debate. That's good for the site and certainly not anything I would remove. If you'd really like to have your opinion on the stadiums included, please feel free to leave a comment on the post: http://www.kleagueunited.com/2015/09/th ... -to-k.html. If not, just have the debate on here.

If it were more about vanity (as paquebot suggests), then my actual name as opposed to the site's name would be all over the place. Honestly, KLU isn't something that's going to bring fame, acclaim, or money. I simply like blogging more than I like participating in forums and I know there are several people here in Korea (or following the league) that feel the same way. This isn't a slight against forums, and certainly not one that's as well done and durable as this one, it's just a difference in preference.

To more directly answer your question of why I started the site, I really like designing sites, making graphics, and blogging. It's a hobby. I'm also a homebrewer and started a blog about that even though there are hundreds of amazing homebrew forums that have been around for well over a decade. Blogging is just something I like to do. Getting more bloggers involved has made the hobby more fun and covers the league better than I would be able to on my own.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:04 pm

MrRyanWalters wrote:If it were more about vanity (as paquebot suggests), then my actual name as opposed to the site's name would be all over the place. Honestly, KLU isn't something that's going to bring fame, acclaim, or money. I simply like blogging more than I like participating in forums and I know there are several people here in Korea (or following the league) that feel the same way. This isn't a slight against forums, and certainly not one that's as well done and durable as this one, it's just a difference in preference.

Sorry mate, was just pulling your leg with that comment. For what it's worth I don't even follow the K-League; my interest lies with the K3 League.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:10 pm

daeguowl wrote:
OttoSilver wrote:I nominate 유상훈 for the "Dick Between the Sticks" award. :smt115

As of this weekend he has the best minutes played per goal conceded in the K-League... Not bad for someone that looks really shaky most of the time

Don't think he is a bad keeper, just a penis. He love to dive, put on an act and has gotten himself into a few unnecessary scuffles a few times this year.
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:12 pm

SteveW wrote:They might be 2nd now but they've been down in 5th or so most of the year. And been shite.

When I went to see them they were on a run of 3 wins in 10.

And the 4500 at Ulsan made more atmosphere than the claimed 14000 at Pohang.

Why?

Cheerleaders. :P

They've been down in fifth because the top places behind Jeonbuk and maybe Suwon have been tight all season. But what you're really saying is that everything else in the stadium pales in comparison to four young ladies in short skirts. If Gwangju's Guss't Hiddingk did the same just without the short skirts you would've picked that one as your favourite, even if there wasn't a match on. I understand. Next you'll be judging stadia by who has more Bora at halftime.

For my part, the stadium in Ulsan is the worst of the trackless World Cup stadiums. Apart from the lake outside it's a featureless Euroborg in Korea. It's miles from town, a lot of the steps are loose, the conveniences are shit and there's never anyone there. Happy memories of the Uruguay match but even that one was half full.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:17 pm

Even cheerleaders couldn't save Busan though.

To be honest I think the thing with the Steelyard was high expectations werent met. It's looking tired and dated.

Not sure whether by conveniences you meant the toilets or the shops but again the Munsu wins on both counts as far as I could see. Only thing missing was a club shop but let's face it the one at Pohang is a cupboard.

I'm not quite sure on the middle of nowhere thing with Ulsan either. It's a bus ride. So is Pohang. Which is in the middle of steelworks county let's remember.

Plus Ulsan shits on Pohang as a city. Plus some fanny in Pohang hit me with his bike. And cheerleaders.

Ulsan skoosh it 5-0.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Return to “K League”