The "Does he like kimchi?" thread

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
wolfman
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Re: The "Does he like kimchi?" thread

Postby wolfman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:10 am

Gone back three pages to find an appropriate thread, but this will have to do. Interview with Matt Simon, who's returned to Australia for surgery, but is looking forward to playing for Chunnam after the split.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/247404,m ... agony.aspx?

FCSeoul
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby FCSeoul » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:22 pm

hahaha from Brendan Hamill's twitter

Brendan Hamill ‏@bjhamill
Mastered the chop stix #officiallyalocal

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:16 am

So in a hard-hitting interview with the chap just crowned K-League MVP for 2012 we find out that Dejan Damjanovic likes 된장 but doesn't like eel...

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:54 am

Holyjoe wrote:So in a hard-hitting interview with the chap just crowned K-League MVP for 2012 we find out that Dejan Damjanovic likes 된장 but doesn't like eel...

Hot hairclip. :smt079

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Tue May 14, 2013 3:11 pm

Gyeongnam's foreign types went out for a meal with the club, had 짬뽕, found it too hot & spicy, so the restaurant owner prepared a "foreign player only 짬뽕" which was less likely to burn their delicate wee tongues... exciting times in Changwon.

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue May 14, 2013 9:03 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Gyeongnam's foreign types went out for a meal with the club, had 짬뽕, found it too hot & spicy, so the restaurant owner prepared a "foreign player only 짬뽕" which was less likely to burn their delicate wee tongues... exciting times in Changwon.

Initially I thought "Gyeongnam's foreign types" meant our James and JB. Do these guys (the players) have fixers for them who speak the language and know where things are etc? If you invest a lot of money in foreign players it is often well worth investing in some support structures for them when they get here. Business plan for someone on here? Wasn't someone already doing this?
Last edited by eujin on Tue May 14, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Tue May 14, 2013 9:06 pm

eujin wrote:
Holyjoe wrote:Gyeongnam's foreign types went out for a meal with the club, had 짬뽕, found it too hot & spicy, so the restaurant owner prepared a "foreign player only 짬뽕" which was less likely to burn their delicate wee tongues... exciting times in Changwon.

Do these guys have fixers for them who speak the language and know where things are etc? If you invest a lot of money in foreign players it is often well worth investing in some support structures for them when they get here. Business plan for someone on here?

I read somewhere (might have been one of those Footynomics books) that quite a few progressive clubs do have these kinds of things on tap for their signings and surprisingly many don't. Seems odd that you would blow millions on some guy and pay him shedloads every week and not have someone to help them assimilate for the sake of a few grand.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue May 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Yeah, I thought maybe someone on this forum had already tried something like this. I guess you could do it part-time for a single club or cover a whole region and make a full-time job out of it.

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Tue May 14, 2013 9:30 pm

I think what a lot of the cheapo clubs do is try to sign all 3 of their non-Asians from the same country whenever possible. This has certainly been Incheon's approach. I don't know if they have a Portuguese-speaking employee as well, given this pattern in the transfer-market. But then again, maybe there's a reason they all leave after 0.5-1 season.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

Evergreen
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Evergreen » Wed May 15, 2013 12:08 am

SteveW wrote:
eujin wrote:

Do these guys have fixers for them who speak the language and know where things are etc? If you invest a lot of money in foreign players it is often well worth investing in some support structures for them when they get here. Business plan for someone on here?

I read somewhere (might have been one of those Footynomics books) that quite a few progressive clubs do have these kinds of things on tap for their signings and surprisingly many don't. Seems odd that you would blow millions on some guy and pay him shedloads every week and not have someone to help them assimilate for the sake of a few grand.

Daejeon have a guy yeah. The players ring him up whenever they want to go out for dinner, go to the supermarket or that sort of thing. He's basically just a slave to them, the poor chap.

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:55 am

jeonbuk as well. until it becomes a market where players are looking to go to the k-league as a first choice, rather than a good league with a good paycheck, it won't be essential for someone to be a 'scout' for someone's life. as well known by all, the workforce in korea is strong, hardworking, and usually better skilled in languages than most outsiders. if they get someone to set this up, it'll be that new guy who speaks a language or two, or some guy close to the club.
well well well

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Wed May 15, 2013 10:36 am

eujin wrote:Yeah, I thought maybe someone on this forum had already tried something like this. I guess you could do it part-time for a single club or cover a whole region and make a full-time job out of it.

I guess you'd need to be fluent in Korean and Portuguese or a Slavic Language.

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Wed May 15, 2013 11:31 am

Ah, I just remembered, Incheon have a Brazilian fitness-coach. I don't know if he speaks Korean. Maybe he does double-duty as translator for the Brazilian corps.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed May 15, 2013 6:37 pm

daeguowl wrote:
eujin wrote:Yeah, I thought maybe someone on this forum had already tried something like this. I guess you could do it part-time for a single club or cover a whole region and make a full-time job out of it.

I guess you'd need to be fluent in Korean and Portuguese or a Slavic Language.

or Strine

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:20 pm

Gimhae's on-loan Gyeongnam forward Ivan Markovic is the latest foreign import to enjoy Korean food, his boss Kim Kwi-hwa telling the world that the youngster "eats kimchi jjigae and samgyeopsal well". That's nice.

Return to “K League”