The 'Guess The Stadium' Thread

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Re: The 'Guess The Stadium' Thread

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:51 pm

eujin wrote:Are there a lot of clubs in Scotland these days investing in plastic pitches for their youth teams etc?

Not that I'm aware of.. If anything there seems to be more of a leaning towards doing away with plastic pitches.. a few of the lower-league sides have very good plastic pitches (Alloa do, Annan also have one and Ally McCoist doesn't like it), and Junior club Largs Thistle have a fantastic £750,000 one paid for by the local Euromillions winners, but it doesn't seem like the bigger clubs use them much even in training. The McCoist article above reckons he's "banned his players from working on the two synthetic surfaces installed at Rangers’ training ground" and going by playground football rules they're clearly the best club in Scotland having just toppled SPL leaders Motherwell. Or maybe that's Queen of the South?

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:28 pm

eujin wrote:
paquebot wrote:Did you see much Assyrian-related paraphernalia while you were there? Interesting to see that the national team is banned from playing in Syria.

I was at a Syrianska match, who are currently in the top Swedish league. Quite what the difference is between Assyriska and Syrianska I can't really tell, even after trying to read the wikipedia pages, which I expect have been heavily edited by helpful nationalists. There was quite a lot of paraphernalia while I was there. A big, slightly faded flag unfurled at the beginning, which I didn't really get a good shot of as I was underneath it, and a lot of people holding little flags. The one I got a photo of looks like it had just arrived in the mail though.

The match programme had a story about the team's summer tour to Germany and how they're the only side in the Allsvenskan who could get 10,000 turning out for a friendly in Osnabrück. The programme was entirely in Swedish as were the PA announcements and most of the chants, but it's something reasonably cool when most of your fans can speak the original mother tongue of Jesus. They also had kebabs as the main staple at half-time, which I think is the first time I've seen that, at least the first time I've dared to have a half-time kebab. There were a number of blond-haired people in the home end, but the thing that really struck me was what a family orientated crowd it was. Entire families had obviously turned out straight from church, and there was a collection of buggies, prams and push-chairs like I've never seen at a professional football match before.

All in all a great little club, shame about the council-owned carpet pitch, but good for Sweden for having a promotion system that allows community based teams, even ethnic teams, to rise up through the levels to the top.

Certain people like to ask what's the point of twenty-two grown men chasing a ball. To them it seems completely pointless in a world with so much more important things going on.

These same people are surprised to learn that there are already large numbers of Syrians living in Sweden and Germany and that most of them are Christians. They don't realise that one of the main reasons why so many Syrian refugees are currently trying to get to Germany and Sweden is because they already have friends and family there. A lot of the particularly pompous ones, "serious" journalists amongst them, have no idea that these same communities are so well established that they've already had a team in the top Swedish football league. Funny that.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:04 am

I was keeping this one for when it got a bit quiet around here. Which famous ground is this?
And more importantly, why is it known for English teachers and a brawl?

andyc24_uk
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby andyc24_uk » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:51 am

Wow, this thread makes a welcome return from the dead!

Is it Dongdaemun Stadium (Or rather, the park now built on top of it)?
This season I will be mostly supporting :
KLClassic - Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors / KLChallenge & National League - Anyone & Everyone / K3 League - Jeonju Citizen

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:16 pm

andyc24_uk wrote:Wow, this thread makes a welcome return from the dead!

Is it Dongdaemun Stadium (Or rather, the park now built on top of it)?

No it isn't, but you're thinking along the right lines.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:58 am

Is it the car park behind my old Hagwon in Songpa? We used to have a kick around there sometimes and one English teacher did get his head kicked in after stealing someone's girlfriend. Looks nice now with all the trees in it.
Bring back King Cha.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:22 pm

Rothesay Saint wrote:Is it the car park behind my old Hagwon in Songpa? We used to have a kick around there sometimes and one English teacher did get his head kicked in after stealing someone's girlfriend. Looks nice now with all the trees in it.

No, it's not your hagwon in Songpa. This is a place of such high renown, it's even on wikipedia.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:02 pm

Time for another hint.

Both Rothesay Saint and andyc24_uk have the right city, but we're looking for somewhere more central than either of their guesses.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:36 am

Nowon likes that ground...

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:37 pm

MipoFanatic wrote:Nowon likes that ground...

It's not Nowon. It's in central Seoul, as in the easiest way to get there from Seoul City Hall is to walk.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:16 am

I've twigged where this is, and I've been there because of the historical associations. I think someone else if they really tried could do a bit of digging from these clues and get the answer, think old school Korean football (with the emphasis on old school)...

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:50 am

In the interests of getting this question home in time for Christmas, here's another hint.

The matches played at this venue were a forerunner of the tournament won this year by Suwon. :smt114

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:18 pm

The Korean World Cup To Determine The Best Team In Korea Both North And South?!
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:03 pm

OttoSilver wrote:The Korean World Cup To Determine The Best Team In Korea Both North And South?!

We're getting closer.

Gyongmaman
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby Gyongmaman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:18 am

Holyjoe wrote:I've twigged where this is, and I've been there because of the historical associations. I think someone else if they really tried could do a bit of digging from these clues and get the answer, think old school Korean football (with the emphasis on old school)...

Ok going on the clues. The games played there were a forerunner of a tournament Suwon won this year. Obviously they won the FA Cup but following that back to its former days would lead us to the National Football Championship and in turn to stadiums such as Dongdaemun (which has already been ruled out) and Hyochang (which is still standing). However, Suwon also won - or more specifically their official high school, Maetan High School, won - the High School League this year.

Holyjoe's clue "Old School" also suggests we should be looking for schools with a strong connection to football and ideally ones which don't exist anymore and couple that with Eujin's clue that it should be closer to City Hall than either Dongdaemun or Hyochang.

The school that fits these criteria is Dongbuk High School which these days is down south in Gangdong-gu but from its founding in 1953, until it moved in 1980 (apparently their old fans still call the new school "Franchise School" and have been talking about getting a phoenix school up and running for over three decades), was in Jangchung-dong, across the road from where the current Chungmu Primary is located and just down the street from the Sofitel and Jangchung Gymnasium. Dongbuk, in articles on this very forum, were described as being "the country's top football school" and possibly still are among the top ones with none other than Son Heung Min among recent former pupils.

The "The Korean World Cup To Determine The Best Team In Korea Both North And South?!" could also have a connection in that - again, going on this very forum, Dongbuk has a connection with "Yangzee FC" the team set up by the KCIA in response to North Korea's performance at the 1966 World Cup with old boy Lee Hoi Taik turning out for them http://forum.rokfootball.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=940

So I'll go for the former site of Dongbuk High School's pitch which is slightly closer to City Hall than Dongdaemun. However, looking on daum maps I may well be wrong as I can't find that little park anywhere, and nor do I have any clue about brawls or English teachers (got to go to the 'buk for those).

Return to “K League”