The 'Guess The Stadium' Thread

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
wolfman
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Re: The 'Guess The Stadium' Thread

Postby wolfman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:29 am

Well done. One of my favourite Bangkok grounds to visit. Reminds me of the parks I played on as a kid (there's even a canal behind one stand for overhit clearances) SPCU have simplified their name to Customs United now, and like a number of the government/corporate clubs, they've dropped down the leagues in recent times.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Are they really the customs guys from the airport?

wolfman

Postby wolfman » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:52 pm

eujin wrote:Are they really the customs guys from the airport?

Probably originally. But now, the players are all professionals. Same goes for the Army, Navy, Air Force, Port Authority of Thailand, Police, etc. All of these had to set up the clubs as separate business entities to meet AFC regulations, but the same old stuffed shirts are in the boardrooms.
Some of the older players were 'employed' by these bodies, back before the boom 4-5 years ago, when salaries weren't that good. Army & Navy tried to demand that any player holding rank be returned to them last season. For the most part they were unsuccessful, though a couple of Navy guys did eventually transfer back to the club.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Some of you may remember the Withdean Stadium, which Brighton & Hove Albion played in for a dozen-ish years until 2011:

But what stadium is "even more Withdean than the Withdean", in terms of having numerous stands?

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:40 pm

MipoFanatic wrote:But what stadium is "even more Withdean than the Withdean", in terms of having numerous stands?

I think I've seen this one on another forum, I remember it because it was one I was going to use on this thread but never got round to. Is it the Mmabatho Stadium in South Africa? It has dozens of sections of terracing that go all the way round the pitch in a diamond shape:

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:38 am

Holyjoe wrote:I think I've seen this one on another forum, I remember it because it was one I was going to use on this thread but never got round to. Is it the Mmabatho Stadium in South Africa? It has dozens of sections of terracing that go all the way round the pitch in a diamond shape:

It looks like somewhere in Italy or Southern France to me. Is it the one in Siena?

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:17 am

eujin wrote:
Holyjoe wrote:I think I've seen this one on another forum, I remember it because it was one I was going to use on this thread but never got round to. Is it the Mmabatho Stadium in South Africa? It has dozens of sections of terracing that go all the way round the pitch in a diamond shape:

It looks like somewhere in Italy or Southern France to me. Is it the one in Siena?

Your knowledge is truly impressive. Either that or alarming.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:20 am

Well spotted eujin, I cheated a wee bit by checking straight away to see if Mipo had left the stadium name in the file name of the last photo and as it was "withdean2.jpg" I assumed that was an overhead shot of the Withdean and it was just an open question without a photo. Should have looked more closely as I've now wasted a perfectly good stadium :oops:

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:59 am

Holyjoe wrote:Well spotted eujin, I cheated a wee bit by checking straight away to see if Mipo had left the stadium name in the file name of the last photo...

I'm not that daft - I even went to the trouble of Photoshopping the club's nickname off of the large stand! :smt004

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:58 pm

paquebot wrote:Did you see much Assyrian-related paraphernalia while you were there? Interesting to see that the national team is banned from playing in Syria.

I was at a Syrianska match, who are currently in the top Swedish league. Quite what the difference is between Assyriska and Syrianska I can't really tell, even after trying to read the wikipedia pages, which I expect have been heavily edited by helpful nationalists. There was quite a lot of paraphernalia while I was there. A big, slightly faded flag unfurled at the beginning, which I didn't really get a good shot of as I was underneath it, and a lot of people holding little flags. The one I got a photo of looks like it had just arrived in the mail though.

Image Image

The match programme had a story about the team's summer tour to Germany and how they're the only side in the Allsvenskan who could get 10,000 turning out for a friendly in Osnabrück. The programme was entirely in Swedish as were the PA announcements and most of the chants, but it's something reasonably cool when most of your fans can speak the original mother tongue of Jesus. They also had kebabs as the main staple at half-time, which I think is the first time I've seen that, at least the first time I've dared to have a half-time kebab. There were a number of blond-haired people in the home end, but the thing that really struck me was what a family orientated crowd it was. Entire families had obviously turned out straight from church, and there was a collection of buggies, prams and push-chairs like I've never seen at a professional football match before.

All in all a great little club, shame about the council-owned carpet pitch, but good for Sweden for having a promotion system that allows community based teams, even ethnic teams, to rise up through the levels to the top. The Aussies really should send a delegation on a fact-finding mission.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:03 am

Bump... see who can be specific enough about this one:

(it's the same building, despite the missing chimney stacks in the first photo)

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:03 pm

Some shit Scottish club, no doubt... :smt117

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:41 pm

MipoFanatic wrote:Some shit Scottish club, no doubt... :smt117

If it is in Scotland it certainly isn't Hampden. Some sort of Lesser Hampden with delusions of grandeur perhaps and it could certainly do with a refurbishment, as that looks like the oldest football stand in the world. :wink:

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:22 pm

Nice one, eujin. Came across the history of the old pavilion there on another forum:

So Queen's Park FC were now settled in the 3rd (and final) Hampden Park but in 1923 they wanted to expand their operation as they had several teams playing.

To the immediate west of Hampden Park was Clincart Farm. A farmhouse with an adjoining byre and outhouses.

Queen's Park bought the farm (so to speak!) and converted the field into the ground that is still there today, Lesser Hampden. But Queen's decided against building a new pavilion, there was no need. The farmhouse would serve perfectly!

So Clincart Farm has the distinction, as it is a 19th century building, of being the world's oldest football building still in use today

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:23 pm

I noticed they'd installed a plastic pitch, which must be quite a combination with the world's oldest stand and reminds me of a point I was making earlier viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2617&p=43466&hilit=astroturf#p43466

Are there a lot of clubs in Scotland these days investing in plastic pitches for their youth teams etc?

Return to “K League”