The 'Guess The Stadium' Thread

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
andyc24_uk
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Re: The 'Guess The Stadium' Thread

Postby andyc24_uk » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:39 am

Slight digression here but I just found this on another forum - for all that we complain about running tracks making for soulless grounds, this 1910's era photo from the UK suggest that isn't necessarily a foregone conclusion if you can actually fill the bloody stands up...
stadium1.jpg
This season I will be mostly supporting :
KLClassic - Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors / KLChallenge & National League - Anyone & Everyone / K3 League - Jeonju Citizen

andyc24_uk

Postby andyc24_uk » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:45 am

Also, much as I hate to congratulate anyone with an Ipswich donkey for a profile picture - That's some impressive deductions there Gyeongmaman, the pieces seem to fit together... Still struggling to find that park though.
This season I will be mostly supporting :
KLClassic - Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors / KLChallenge & National League - Anyone & Everyone / K3 League - Jeonju Citizen

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:11 am

That is some impressive logic from Gyeongmaman but it's still not right. I'm fast running out of clues, and we're getting close to Christmas, but before I basically post the answer from Wikipedia, here's one last effort.

The old school in question was named by none other than King Gojong. And the site of the pitch is now occupied, apart from the little park in the picture, by the Seoul offices of one of the most famous banks in the world.

Gyongmaman
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby Gyongmaman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:02 pm

eujin wrote:The old school in question was named by none other than King Gojong. And the site of the pitch is now occupied, apart from the little park in the picture, by the Seoul offices of one of the most famous banks in the world.

Oh...I actually used to work almost right next to that little park. The bank in question is J.P. Morgan and that red-brick building is part of Jeongdong Church. I'm guessing there was once an English language school there (there still is one three buildings away:)) but...ok, now I know the location but not the reason...

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:56 pm

Gyongmaman wrote:Oh...I actually used to work almost right next to that little park. The bank in question is J.P. Morgan and that red-brick building is part of Jeongdong Church. I'm guessing there was once an English language school there (there still is one three buildings away:)) but...ok, now I know the location but not the reason...

Gyongmaman has the location. Now here is Wikipedia's list of Korean FA Cup winners. If you have the name of the park, maybe start at the top and work your way down...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Korean_FA_Cup_winners

Gyongmaman
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby Gyongmaman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:23 pm

So it was the site of the Paichai Hakdang Sports Ground which hosted the first final of the All Joseon Football Competition which many years later became the FA Cup. The matches were abandoned due to brawling. I want to hear some more about the "Smoking Gisaeng"!

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:38 am

Gyongmaman wrote:So it was the site of the Paichai Hakdang Sports Ground which hosted the first final of the All Joseon Football Competition which many years later became the FA Cup. The matches were abandoned due to brawling. I want to hear some more about the "Smoking Gisaeng"!

Yes, this is the correct answer. Holyjoe was probably at the match so he can fill us in on the details but according to Korean Wikipedia during the second half of the first semi-final there was a disputed offside decision that led to a fight and the tournament was stopped. The match in question was between Paichai and Soongsil, a team from Pyongyang, so the tournament was basically the first ever "Korean World Cup To Determine The Best Team In Korea Both North And South". This was back in the day during the Japanese occupation, at a time when you needed three players instead of two between you and the goaline to be onside.

The school itself was named by King Gojong and founded by Henry Appenzeller in the19th Century. He was one of the first people ever admitted to Korea for the purpose of teaching English. The forefather of every E2 visa holder is very closely connected to the forefather of every organised (or disorganised) Korean football tournament. I haven't been able to find an old picture of people playing football on what is now a gym park and bank building, but this view shows the ground, probably taken from the school on top of the hill with the Methodist Church and Bukhansan in the background. Deoksugung Palace would be just out of shot on the right.

On the subject of schools and football, a similar thing happened in Germany with football being introduced by an English teacher, Konrad Koch, rather than sailors or railway workers. They made a film about him a few years ago.

Imagine a sports movie version of Dead Poets Society, but in German and with football instead of bloody poetry. At the time people were supposedly horrified by the thought of their kids being corrupted by the moral decay of this English disease. Fair play, team work and giving your all away to Porto even after you've already won the group, versus the German values of discipline, obedience and gymnastics. Remember that next time you're at a parent-teachers meeting.

Merry Christmas everyone. :smt114 :smt111 :smt114

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:38 am

To add to eujin's post, this photo shows another angle of the Paichai football ground with what is either a game of youth football or a bunch of kids running around. The building that is now part of the National Museum of Contemporary Art in Deoksugung is clearly visible.
Pai-Chai-no08.jpg

I'm also pretty sure that this photo of the famous "black goalposts" was taken at the Paichai football ground as well. It shows the Korea Youth Buddhist Association football side that triumphed in the youth section of the 3rd All Joseon Football Championship in November 1922.
1922 Joseon Winners.jpg

Return to “K League”