Korean Football Trivia Thread

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Re: Korean Football Trivia Thread

Postby paquebot » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:52 pm

eujin wrote:I'm with Rothesay, this must happen all the time. I'll go 20 times in 34 seasons.

Thirty four seasons of play? I'll go with a more conservative 8 times.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:49 am

I'm with you guys in that I would have thought there'd been a reasonably large number of matches, however I'm going by information in a Sports Khan article published on Saturday after the game was called off and it's claiming that a same day postponement has only happened twice before in the history of the K-League - August 22nd 1999 when the Gangneung stadium floodlights failed before an Ilhwa-Pohang match and then July 15th 2006 before a Pohang-Jeju match when striking steelworkers had occupied the Posco headquarters adjacent to the Pohang Steelyard and police had sealed off the surrounding area that morning ahead of storming the building to get them out and so no access was available to the stadium.

If the answer is just three then paquebot is clearly the closest, though even with daeguowl's fourth for that Gyeongnam game then paquebot still wins the question.

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:16 am

Holyjoe wrote:I'm with you guys in that I would have thought there'd been a reasonably large number of matches, however I'm going by information in a Sports Khan article

Players all fall asleep after drinking a Macau rum and coke special, night-time match scheduled at a stadium without floodlights, bus driver gets lost on the Gyeongbu highway, no referee in Jeonju because the KFA sends two referees to Busan, away team turns up to the wrong stadium after the council forgets about the annual firefly relay rally...there are so many possible reasons this could happen other than the weather and the weather is a pretty good reason in Korea. Aren't they by rule supposed to check that the ball bounces without getting stuck in a puddle? Three times in the entire history of the K-League?

But who am I to doubt the journalism of Sports Khan?

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:52 am

Come on Le 'bot, where is the next question?
Bring back King Cha.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:27 am

Alright, here you go:

Which Korea-born footballer has played in the top division of five Asian countries but was never signed with a Korean club?
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:36 am

paquebot wrote:Alright, here you go:

Which Korea-born footballer has played in the top division of five Asian countries but was never signed with a Korean club?

Would you classify a Korean university as a "Korean club?"

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:30 am

MipoFanatic wrote:

Would you classify a Korean university as a "Korean club?"

Wasn't thinking of that, so no.

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:23 pm

Kwon Jun? Born in Pyeontaek, has played in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore and Iran. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwon_Jun

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:22 pm

eujin wrote:

Kwon Jun? Born in Pyeontaek, has played in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore and Iran. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwon_Jun

That's the one.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:37 pm

I was in Greece recently and for some reason they have K-2 matches on the Greek pools. So who are these teams?

1. ΓΚΑΝΓΚΓΟΥΟΝ
2. ΝΤΑΕΓΚΟΥ
3. ΚΟΡΙΑΝ ΠΟΛΙΣ
4. ΓΚΙΕΟΝΓΚΝΑΜ
5. ΜΠΟΥΣΑΝ ΠΑΡΚ
6. ΝΤΑΕΖΕΟΝ ΣΙΤΙΖΕΝ
7. ΤΣΟΥΝΓΚΓΚΙΟΥ
8. ΜΠΟΥΧΕΟΝ
9. ΓΚΟΓΙΑΝΓΚ ΧΑΙ
10. SEOUL E-LAND

The last one's reasonably obvious, but that is how they appear in the paper.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:16 am

Oh, a riddle? I'll take a stab at these and see if the one week we spent covering the Greek alphabet in sixth grade can be of any use ...

1. ΓΚΑΝΓΚΓΟΥΟΝ

ΓΚΑΝΓΚΓΟΥΟΝ = GKANKGKO'EE'ON. Take out all those extraneous hard velar plosives and treat upsilon as the Classical Greek U instead of the Modern Greek EE and you get a more manageable GANGOUON, which is going to be Gangwon.
2. ΝΤΑΕΓΚΟΥ

ΝΤΑΕΓΚΟΥ = NTAEGKO'EE'. Drop the initial N and convert 'EE' to 'U' and we get Taegou/Daegu
3. ΚΟΡΙΑΝ ΠΟΛΙΣ

ΚΟΡΙΑΝ = KORIAN and ΠΟΛΙΣ = POLIS. Pretty clear this one is Korean Police/Ansan Mugunghwa
4. ΓΚΙΕΟΝΓΚΝΑΜ

ΓΚΙΕΟΝΓΚΝΑΜ = GKIEONGKNAM. Well, Gyeongnam FC comes to mind.
5. ΜΠΟΥΣΑΝ ΠΑΡΚ

ΜΠΟΥΣΑΝ = MPO'EE'SAN and ΠΑΡΚ = PARK. Ignore the initial M, combine with Classical Greek upsilon, and POUSAN is the result. Surely this one is Busan I'Park
6. ΝΤΑΕΖΕΟΝ ΣΙΤΙΖΕΝ

ΝΤΑΕΖΕΟΝ = NTAEJEON and ΣΙΤΙΖΕΝ is obviously CITIZEN. Taejeon/Daejeon Citizen
7. ΤΣΟΥΝΓΚΓΚΙΟΥ

ΤΣΟΥΝΓΚΓΚΙΟΥ = TSO'EE'NGKGKIO'EE'. Or maybe TSOUNGKGKIOU. Ummm ... this one I honestly can't figure out just based on the given letters. I cheated and did a Google images search, which brings up several rowing pictures as the initial result. I know that Chungju hosted the 2013 World Rowing Championships so I guess it's Chungju Hummel.
8. ΜΠΟΥΧΕΟΝ

ΜΠΟΥΧΕΟΝ = MPO'EE''CH'EON. As above, drop the initial M and use Classical Greek upsilons and we're left with POUCHEON, which is likely Bucheon.
9. ΓΚΟΓΙΑΝΓΚ ΧΑΙ

ΓΚΟΓΙΑΝΓΚ = GKOGIANKGK and ΧΑΙ = 'CH'AI. Again, let's strip out some hard velar plosives to get down to GOGIANG, which is probably going to be Goyang. 'CH'AI - with the 'CH' sounding like a German or Scottish 'ch' - should be an abbreviated form of Zaicro, to give Goyang Zaicro
10. SEOUL E-LAND

Not exactly difficult to figure out.

FC Anyang seems to be missing from the list, but otherwise that should be all the K-League Challenge sides.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:16 pm

Do you perform circus tricks for an encore?

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:00 pm

paquebot wrote:ΜΠΟΥΣΑΝ = MPO'EE'SAN and ΠΑΡΚ = PARK. Ignore the initial M, combine with Classical Greek upsilon, and POUSAN is the result. Surely this one is Busan I'Park

Good job. Unlike some, the Greeks know full well the difference between B and P. It's the M that turns the Π into a B, for example Mπύρα is the Greek for Beer (useful to know as that and Mπαρ is how a lot of the pubs are signed). Clearly no one has told them that Busan is actually spelled with a P, but that is another problem for another day. I still don't know why they had SEOUL E-LAND written out in Latin letters, along with SKOVSHOVED, DARLINGTON and SEVENOAKS TOWN.

I hope you've got another question lined up. I'm going to stay well away until I can think of a new one.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:07 pm

eujin wrote:
paquebot wrote:ΜΠΟΥΣΑΝ = MPO'EE'SAN and ΠΑΡΚ = PARK. Ignore the initial M, combine with Classical Greek upsilon, and POUSAN is the result. Surely this one is Busan I'Park

Good job. Unlike some, the Greeks know full well the difference between B and P. It's the M that turns the Π into a B, for example Mπύρα is the Greek for Beer (useful to know as that and Mπαρ is how a lot of the pubs are signed).

I didn't know that, but it's quite interesting. Thanks for the info!

eujin wrote:I hope you've got another question lined up. I'm going to stay well away until I can think of a new one.

Sure, why not? Which currently-active player in the K-League has played for not one but two clubs in Finland?

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:51 pm

Thought it might be Gangwon's Matty Alves but think he only played for FC Lahti.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Return to “K League”