Korean Football Trivia Thread

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Re: Korean Football Trivia Thread

Postby Rothesay Saint » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:56 am

SteveW wrote:Thought it might be Gangwon's Matty Alves but think he only played for FC Lahti.

Yeah, I thought he was at FC Cappuccino too, but apparently not.

I've no idea what the answer is, although I did find an article from a few years ago about Korea taking over a Finnish 2nd division Ice Hockey team.

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/new ... id=2985480

Sounds like the Kimchi Mighty Ducks.
Bring back King Cha.

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:48 am

I think I know this one, and it's one our Changwon-based contributors should be able to help with...

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:05 pm

I see we don't have many K-League Challenge fans in here ... HolyJoe is right, this is a perfect question for the Changwon-based forum members.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:07 pm

Rothesay Saint wrote:...although I did find an article from a few years ago about Korea taking over a Finnish 2nd division Ice Hockey team.

Not Korea, just Halla (Hyundai)

The team is nothing to write home about. I think it's more a case of an owner who likes hockey enough to own two teams, and is also looking for a way to give Korean players some experience. If you look at their roster you will notice they usually have two or three Koreans, or more specifically, former and soon to be again, Anyang Halla players.
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:37 pm

OttoSilver wrote:
Rothesay Saint wrote:...although I did find an article from a few years ago about Korea taking over a Finnish 2nd division Ice Hockey team.

Not Korea, just Halla (Hyundai)

The team is nothing to write home about. I think it's more a case of an owner who likes hockey enough to own two teams, and is also looking for a way to give Korean players some experience. If you look at their roster you will notice they usually have two or three Koreans, or more specifically, former and soon to be again, Anyang Halla players.

I didn't know Halla was Hyundai, but then the world of Korean chaebols is so murky who knows who owns what.
Bring back King Cha.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:42 pm

paquebot wrote:Which currently-active player in the K-League has played for not one but two clubs in Finland?

Kwon Jung-hyuk.

And now, a tricky one: what was the first K-League club to include its home community in its name, and which current club is its successor?

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:36 pm

MipoFanatic wrote:
paquebot wrote:Which currently-active player in the K-League has played for not one but two clubs in Finland?

Kwon Jung-hyuk.
And now, a tricky one: what was the first K-League club to include its home community in its name, and which current club is its successor?

Wansan Puma FC, currently known as Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors FC, according to the team's Wikipedia page:

Jeonbuk Hyundai Motor's predecessor was founded in January 1993 under the original name of Wansan Puma FC. Oh Hyung-Kun was the founder of the team, which was the first team to be named after a home location in the history of the K-League.

However, they were not able to raise enough funds and Wansan Puma FC went into bankruptcy before they could take their place in the K-League. Many people were eager to keep their club and Bobae Ltd., a local alcohol manufacturer, fortunately offered financial support to the club. The club joined the K-League in 1994 after changing its name to Jeonbuk Buffalo. The team began losing money and the team was dissolved after final match in 1994 season. In 1994, Korea was under 2002 World Cup bid campaign, So Hyundai Motors took over Jeonbuk Buffalo's players and launched new club as Jeonbuk Dinos on December 12, 1994.

K-League officially stated that Jeonbuk Buffalo and Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors are different club. Therefore, Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors's history and statistics and records are from December 12, 1994.

Looks like provincial rivals Chunnam Dragons/Jeonnam Dragons are the second?

Jeonnam was established on 16 December 1994. Chunnam appointed Jung Byung-Tak, former South Korean international left winger, as their first manager.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:52 am

paquebot wrote:Wansan Puma FC, currently known as Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors FC, according to the team's Wikipedia page

Indeed. Were you (or any others) aware of Wansan Puma prior to me posing the question?

It's an interesting story that I discovered yesterday. Wansan Puma were due to start play in the 1993 K-League, but even in 1992 there were concerns the club would go bust. Some of the top college players facing the prospect of being drafted by a potentially-bankrupt team did what they could to avoid being selected: Noh Jung-yoon went to Japan for the inaugural J. League season (at a time when anti-Japanese sentiment in South Korea was quite high), while others joined work teams (e.g. Kookmin Bank) instead.

Current GS manager Hwang Sun-hong was drafted by Wansan Puma, but was subsequently traded to POSCO Atoms (now Pohang Steelers) for eight players.

That English-language wiki page you quoted actually leaves something out. After the bankruptcy of Wansan Puma, but before its relaunch as Chonbuk Buffalo, the club was picked up by computer company Jewoo in August 1993, and the team was re-branded as Jewoo Exeter (sometimes stylised as "Xter"). The intent was to start play in the 1994 K-League season.

But just months later, Jewoo also decided to pull out for financial reasons, again before a ball had ever been kicked. The club was then picked up by Bobae Soju and Jeonbuk Ilbo, and did play the 1994 K-League season... but then financially collapsed again.

So before Hyundai came along to clean up the mess, no less than three ownership groups had given up on this club after only one season of play. :lol:

There's a very detailed page on Wansan Puma FC on FootballK Wiki (in Korean).

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:46 pm

MipoFanatic wrote:
paquebot wrote:Wansan Puma FC, currently known as Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors FC, according to the team's Wikipedia page

Indeed. Were you (or any others) aware of Wansan Puma prior to me posing the question?

I did a lot of Googling when I first grew interested in Korean football and remember names like Chonbuk Buffalo, Jeonbuk Dinos, Daewoo Royals, POSCO Atoms, etc. The name sounded familiar after I looked it up but it wasn't one that immediately sprang to mind when I read your question.

New question:

Which member of the Royal Thai Air Force was a former top scorer in Korea?

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:19 pm

paquebot wrote:
Which member of the Royal Thai Air Force was a former top scorer in Korea?

That's got to be either Dejan or Piyapong Pue-on. I'm going to take a wild punt and say it's Piyapong.

According to wikipedia he "played one of the leading roles to crown FC Seoul in 1985 K-League Championship"

Something I'm sure we can all agree on.

Assuming I'm right and while I'm in that kind of mood, I'm going to trust you not to cheat on the next trivia question...

I've a pretty extensive bucket list and pretty near the top of it is to read a book on a season following the Busan I'cons. Some of the research for a book of this type is being done on this forum in the thread "Help me finally write my Korean footie book".

My question is how many months has that thread been running? :smt117
Bring back King Cha.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:33 pm

This is a trick question. That thread started before the internet was invented.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:32 am

Rothesay Saint wrote:I've a pretty extensive bucket list and pretty near the top of it is to read a book on a season following the Busan I'cons. Some of the research for a book of this type is being done on this forum in the thread "Help me finally write my Korean footie book".

Please don't let me win, but I'll start us off with a nice round 60 months.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:49 am

Cheek.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:05 am

If the literary world thought that Harper Lee was going some by taking 55 years to publish Go Set A Watchman then they're in for a bit of a shock when Mipo's book finally hits the shelves. Of course by the time it hits the shelves then we'll all be consuming literature in book-in-a-pill fashion similar to how the fertile minds of science fiction writers have continually predicted that three course meals will be condensed into capsule format. Jamie Cureton will still be playing somewhere in the English seventh tier, and RothesaySaint will still be claiming he's getting cheated out of ROKfootball Prediction League glory...

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:19 pm

eujin wrote:
Rothesay Saint wrote:I've a pretty extensive bucket list and pretty near the top of it is to read a book on a season following the Busan I'cons. Some of the research for a book of this type is being done on this forum in the thread "Help me finally write my Korean footie book".

Please don't let me win, but I'll start us off with a nice round 60 months.

Bad luck, I think 60 months is as close as we are going to get, although the thread has been running since 2005. It will be worth the wait. :0)
Bring back King Cha.

Return to “K League”