Some Statistics of AFC professional leagues

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
Greenlion
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Some Statistics of AFC professional leagues

Postby Greenlion » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:46 pm

Asian professional Soccer statistics thread

Source: http://www.the-afc.com/en/resources/reg ... guidelines

AFC CL Official Assessment Ranking by AFC, Feb 27, 2011

Code: Select all

Rank Country          Points (Full Mark 800 pts)
1     Japan           731.5
2     South Korea     652.4
3     Saudi Arabia    626.5
4     Qatar           618.2
5     IR Iran         598.0
6     China           579.4
7     UAE             543.4
8     Australia       513.2
9     Uzbekistan      512.3
10    Thailand        499.8
11    Indonesia       499.7

Revenue of Domestic League entity as of season 2010

Note: SPL (Saudi Arabia) and A-League (Australia) was excluded because they don't have a separate entity from the FA.

(USD million)

Country              revenue       Major revenue
Japan                130.8         Media rights (41%); Sponsorship (36%)
Qatar                 75.8
UAE                   32.0
South Korea           12.8         Media rights (47%); Sponsorship (36%)
Iran                  11.2         Merchandising (36%);Media rights (35%)
China                 10.0         Sponsorship (53%); Media rights (39%);
Indonesia              5.2         Media rights (45%);
Uzbekistan             0.9
Thailand               0.3         Sponsorship (89%)

Revenue of Top Division League clubs in total as of season 2010

(USD Million)

Country      revenue      Number of clubs    Average
J-League      607           18                33.72
K-League      214           15                14.27       
UFL           135           12                11.25
IPL           112           18                 6.22
CSL           109           16                 6.81
QSL           100           12                 8.33
SPL            98           14                 7
A-League       26           11                 2.36
PFL            21           14                 1.5
Liga Indonesia 23           18                 1.28
TPL             6           16                 0.38

Average League attendeance

League             2009     09/10   2010  10/11
J-League         19,126            18,161
CSL              16,482            14,664
K-League         11,427            11,259
Liga Indonesia             11,295
A-League                    9,797         8,759
IPL                         8,048
PFL               6,842
SPL                         5,555
TPL               5,170
QSL                         4,211
UFL                         2,616

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: Some Statistics of AFC professional leagues

Postby anamerican » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:08 pm

If the 11000 avg fans at K League matches is fabricated, could they fabricate other details? Consider the revenue "books" must be rigged. You can't comfortably announce 2800 fans yet, show an "income" from 1000 fans. The league has an average of 11000 fans, so revenue from ticket sales should match that figure.

I'm wondering what the AFC would do if after this season, I provided images, and attendance estimates for each Seongnam home game.....ummmm....I wonder if they know HOW bad it really is! I'm guessing the AFC knows and just ignores it or maybe they use it against the K League in some way. Pay us off or we'll announce our "investigation" into rigging of blah blah blah, attendance blah blah blah.....ummmm

Bluewings
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi

Postby Bluewings » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:07 am

anamerican wrote:If the 11000 avg fans at K League matches is fabricated, could they fabricate other details? Consider the revenue "books" must be rigged. You can't comfortably announce 2800 fans yet, show an "income" from 1000 fans. The league has an average of 11000 fans, so revenue from ticket sales should match that figure.

I'm wondering what the AFC would do if after this season, I provided images, and attendance estimates for each Seongnam home game.....ummmm....I wonder if they know HOW bad it really is! I'm guessing the AFC knows and just ignores it or maybe they use it against the K League in some way. Pay us off or we'll announce our "investigation" into rigging of blah blah blah, attendance blah blah blah.....ummmm

Dude, you need a more relaxing hobby. You seem a bit stressed.
Was it the keepers right or the shooters right???--- Mustoe

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Postby eujin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:30 am

I was asking earlier http://forum.rokfootball.com/viewtopic.php?p=34547#p34547 why Australia was ranked so lowly in the AFC standings. Not sure I got an answer yet, but is it really true that K-League teams get almost 10 times more revenue than A-League clubs just from chaebol support?

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:31 am

eujin wrote:I was asking earlier http://forum.rokfootball.com/viewtopic.php?p=34547#p34547 why Australia was ranked so lowly in the AFC standings. Not sure I got an answer yet, but is it really true that K-League teams get almost 10 times more revenue than A-League clubs just from chaebol support?

In answer to your first question I think it is the fact that only 2 teams represent Australia in the AFC Champs league that might contribute to that.
In answer to your second....I could believe it.

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:22 pm

just because wrote:In answer to your first question I think it is the fact that only 2 teams represent Australia in the AFC Champs league that might contribute to that.

Is that the cause or the effect? My understanding was that the reason why Australia only had two teams in the ACL was because they were ranked so low.

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:51 pm

eujin wrote:
just because wrote:In answer to your first question I think it is the fact that only 2 teams represent Australia in the AFC Champs league that might contribute to that.

Is that the cause or the effect? My understanding was that the reason why Australia only had two teams in the ACL was because they were ranked so low.

My understanding is it was when teh Aleague started there were only 8 teams so only offered them 2 spots.

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:50 pm

just because wrote:My understanding is it was when teh Aleague started there were only 8 teams so only offered them 2 spots.

That's probably how it works, everything based on some assessment from five years ago. They'd tell you things were set in stone but then when someone forgets to send their docs in or someone has too many foreign owned clubs then bingo, Qatar can suddenly get an extra place. For the 2009-2010 season, from which both Sydney and Melbourne qualified for this years ACL, there were already 9+1 teams in the A-League so if the AFC had things up to date the Aussies would be entitled to 3 clubs. Instead they ended up squeezing an extra West Asian team into the East Asia side of the draw after Singapore and Vietnam withdrew/were kicked out. According to wikipedia the A-League only gets 2 clubs in 2012 as well.

I can't help feeling that the Aussies are getting diddled a bit by the AFC. What do you think?

The comments on this are also worth reading http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/200068,afc-rip-into-aleague.aspx Not everyone agrees with me, even in Australia.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:55 am

I'm pretty sure, when the AFC did their big review and revamp in 2009, they decided that what they decreed there and then would stick for 2010, 2011 and 2012. They determined (probably entirely because of the A-League set-up at the time) that no league could have any more than a third of its participants taking part in the ACL at any one time, so even if the Aussies had managed to cram 30 clubs into their top flight then they were never going to have any more than two spots until at least 2013.

I still reckon it's only a matter of time before the AFC Cup develops into a tournament akin to the Europa League, with clubs from the supposed elite leagues that finish immediately outwith the ACL positions in their domestic set-up permitted entry to resume thrashing the 'diddy' teams.

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:08 am

eujin wrote:
just because wrote:My understanding is it was when teh Aleague started there were only 8 teams so only offered them 2 spots.

I can't help feeling that the Aussies are getting diddled a bit by the AFC. What do you think?

My feeling is I think we are pretty lucky to be honest to be even in the AFC in the first place and some of the lobbying that had taken place must have been superb.
So for now I am happy with 2 spots and to be entirely honest, the A-League teams havent been doing too well lately anyway to deserve any more spots.

TokenAussie
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby TokenAussie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:41 pm

My feeling is I think we are pretty lucky to be honest to be even in the AFC in the first place and some of the lobbying that had taken place must have been superb.
So for now I am happy with 2 spots and to be entirely honest, the A-League teams havent been doing too well lately anyway to deserve any more spots.[/quote]

I do agree with this assessment, and it hasn't been fun watching Adelaide United and Melbourne Victory get thrashed by Seongnam over here the past 2 years. Maybe they just don't fabricate their stats in the A-league. :?

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:56 pm

Holyjoe wrote:I'm pretty sure, when the AFC did their big review and revamp in 2009, they decided that what they decreed there and then would stick for 2010, 2011 and 2012. They determined (probably entirely because of the A-League set-up at the time) that no league could have any more than a third of its participants taking part in the ACL at any one time, so even if the Aussies had managed to cram 30 clubs into their top flight then they were never going to have any more than two spots until at least 2013.

That's exaclty what I'm trying to say. They say it's all been decided years ago but then the actual allocations seem to change every year. Syria had two teams one year then one then no teams. Qatar magically get an extra team in the qualifiers this year. Vietnam are excluded for God knows what reason. The whole thing is a murky mess. Despite what our Aussie friends might say, I'd still say the A-League teams, when they're more or less in sync, are amongst the four or five strongest leagues in Asia. We don't really need 4 teams from the UAE if it was judged on sporting merit alone (four last places last year, two last places and an AWOL the year before). We don't need four teams from the UAE if it's judged on any criteria except you know what.

Gerd Bibimbapper
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Gerd Bibimbapper » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:28 pm

just because wrote:
eujin wrote:

So for now I am happy with 2 spots and to be entirely honest, the A-League teams havent been doing too well lately anyway to deserve any more spots.

Entirely agree, jb.
2 teams from even fewer teams next season, too.

Roarchild

Postby Roarchild » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:30 pm

The A league may be one of the better leagues in Asia but the east only has sixteen spots so the competition is fierce. The K league and J league are better competitions. China isn't but it's a huge market so there going to be given 4 spots.

Then of course a spot finally opens up and &$@ Qatar get it!!!

Any way no ones going to punish the K league for attendance fraud because the figures for leagues like Qatars are absolute rubbish too.

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:40 pm

Roarchild wrote:The A league may be one of the better leagues in Asia but the east only has sixteen spots so the competition is fierce. The K league and J league are better competitions. China isn't but it's a huge market so there going to be given 4 spots.

Then of course a spot finally opens up and &$@ Qatar get it!!!

It's obviously not impossible for the AFC to put West teams in the East side of the draw. So you'd have thought it was possible to do the reverse too. At a bare minimum I would've thought Australia deserves an extra place in the Eastern qualification round along with the likes of Thailand, Indonesia and Al Ain of the UAE. If nobody in Australia wants it then that's another story. But apparently the AFC think Qatar is more worthy.

Roarchild wrote:Any way no ones going to punish the K league for attendance fraud because the figures for leagues like Qatars are absolute rubbish too.

The AFC seem more concerned about the "non-pro" army team in the K-League. I haven't checked but I assume this is because all the West Asian top flights are fully professional (and playing in front of Seongnam sized crowds).

Return to “K League”