Round 11 - 2010 K League Season (Children's Day)

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.

Will you be attending a Children's Day match?

Poll ended at Tue May 11, 2010 5:13 pm

Absolutely.
38%
No, I'm busy.
19%
If I was in Korea, I would.
44%

Total votes: 16

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Re: Round 11 - 2010 K League Season (Children's Day)

Postby eujin » Sat May 08, 2010 1:00 am

Don't mind Bluewings. He's just posting to show us all that his avatar comment is "Propping up the K-League".

Evergreen
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Evergreen » Sat May 08, 2010 2:20 am

eujin wrote:Don't mind Bluewings. He's just posting to show us all that his avatar comment is "Propping up the K-League".

수원 꼴찌 as we all sang so merrily on Wednesday 8)

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Sat May 08, 2010 6:47 am

FC Seoul sheds new light on marketing

Korea has four big professional sports leagues: football, basketball, volleyball and the most popular, baseball. Last year, the Korea Baseball Organization (KBO) league saw crowds total more than 5.5 million spectators.

In stark contrast, the numbers for Korea's professional football league (K-League), which has the newest and biggest stadiums thanks to the 2002 World Cup, are way behind.

However, one particular club is an exception. FC Seoul is shining in the struggling league by attracting far more fans than any other K-League outfit.

On Wednesday, a national holiday for Children's Day, it set a new league record by drawing 60,747 fans for its game against Seongnam Chunma at Sangam Stadium.

FC Seoul has played 10 of its 28 regular season games so far, with five played at home. And the average gate for home games is 40,511 which beats all the local baseball teams.

Its performances play a considerable part in attracting spectators, as it is currently first in the K-League standings. But there should be more reasons than just that, considering the margin it has over the other clubs.

Current league Nos. 2 and 3, Ulsan Tigers and Gyeongnam FC, have average home gates of 7,266 and 16,245, respectively. Ulsan's capacity is even lower than the single attendance for FC Seoul on Wednesday.

Football fans are known to be especially loyal to their hometown clubs. But the principal doesn't really go for FC Seoul, the only club based in a city with a population of over 10 million. Consequently, FC Seoul is applying a different approach in marketing.

``Our strategy is to make fans recognize Sangam stadium as a place they can also watch football games, instead of a place to go solely for that purpose,'' FC Seoul marketing team official Cho Yeon-moo told The Korea Times.

For that goal, its marketing staff provides various events and amenities at Samgam to appeal to a wide range of fans who visit the stadium. For older people, they have a food court where they can find traditional and difficult-to-find foodstuffs to remind them of old memories.

Part of the stadium is allocated as the "chicken zone," where younger couples can enjoy watching the matches while munching on fried chicken, as baseball fans often do at the ballparks.

In a longer-term plan, the club plans to foster child fans that will develop into a solid base for the team in the future. At every game, FC Seoul carries out different events targeting children, including the chance to walk onto the pitch with players at the start of the match.

``The bottom line is that we aim to make every visitor to the stadium have a good time, whether they know much about the sport of football or not,'' Cho said.

Almost all of the professional sports outfits in Korea, including FC Seoul, fail to make a profit. FC Seoul's gate receipts totaled some 1.9 billion won ($1.7 million) last season, way below the 6 billion won taken by the Lotte Giants in the KBO league.

Still, prospects are bright for FC Seoul's sustained popularity. It aims to attract 30,000 spectators to each home game this season, from 15,919 last year, and it looks achievable so far, the club says.

Ultimately, they look forward to seeing the figure rise to 50,000 within five years.

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Sat May 08, 2010 7:13 am

Two thoughts. 1. those figures might be a tad bloated. Sure Seoul has a lot of fan, but what if they don't reach that 50,000 goal? They'll make it with ghost.

My second thought is copy cat teams. In the NFL if something is working, all the other teams copy it. This article shows Seoul's success. Will other teams read it and rush to copy it?
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sat May 08, 2010 9:28 am

``Our strategy is to make fans recognize Sangam stadium as a place they can also watch football games, instead of a place to go solely for that purpose,'' FC Seoul marketing team official Cho Yeon-moo told The Korea Times.

Spot on.

This article is another example of Seoul's marketing, they know they will never average 50,000 but the article is basically saying "look, we are the big thing in Korean sports just now, everyone jump on the bandwagon" when the weather gets colder in September the crowds will plummet.

In the summer months though if Seoul really will have 50-55,000 at some games they will have to do something different with the ticketing. Maybe make the West Stand a lot cheaper so it is used more often (currently it is 25,000 won compared to 8,000 for the North Stand).

I don't know about copy cat teams, I think each team in Gyeonggi has its own strength. Suwon have a large, loyal support of fools; Incheon have the moral high ground as (nominally) a citizen team and Seongnam is a good place to go if you like a bit of peace and quiet at your games. There is certainly the thought that another team will move to Seoul to share the world cup stadium though, SK perhaps? :smt006

Incidentally, anyone know where the traditional food court is? as an older fan I'd definitely go there for some hard to find food.
Bring back King Cha.

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Sat May 08, 2010 9:54 am

What's the average attendance for baseball compared to football though?

It's pointless comparing totals when baseball has 133 games for each team versus 30 regular season games in the K-League.

It's like saying that China must be the best run country in the world because 1.3 billion people have decided to live there.

FC Scum are lucky in that the actual stadium has movie theaters, supermarkets, subway etc right underneath it. Plus there's the ten million people on it's doorstep. To not have the biggest crowds in the league by the length of the straight would be ridiculous. Seoul should have 2, 3, 4 teams ultimately in the top flight (at least) and several more in the lower leagues.

I also said I'd support a Seoul team as my '2nd' side since I originally lived there but gee, look how that turned out. Instead of two teams I ended up with none.
Anyang Fo' Life

kingkenny7
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby kingkenny7 » Sat May 08, 2010 11:07 am

Bluewings wrote:The president of the grandbleu has filed a lawsuit against the purple fags for putting up a defaming sign aimed at his personal life. But hey, wouldn't be Daejon if there was any class.

It made all the other Korean football fans are laughing at Grandblue. That's nonsense to make a lawsuit. Prosecutives would not accept that case, they are busy enough with their own corruptions!

GB : "They insulted us.."
Police : "What? what's the problem?"
GB : "See. 밀뚜라스"
Police : "So you are 밀뚜라스? :lol: get some sleep, son"
a Seongnam FC Fan living in Down Under.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sat May 08, 2010 12:27 pm

kingkenny wrote:
Bluewings wrote:The president of the grandbleu has filed a lawsuit against the purple fags for putting up a defaming sign aimed at his personal life. But hey, wouldn't be Daejon if there was any class.

It made all the other Korean football fans are laughing at Grandblue. That's nonsense to make a lawsuit. Prosecutives would not accept that case, they are busy enough with their own corruptions!

Any chance of a quick translation for those of us who learn most of their Korean at church. :-)

Best google can do is "wheat pimps" - which is actually quite good. :smt117
Bring back King Cha.

Sampo
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Sampo » Sat May 08, 2010 1:27 pm

njs wrote:What's the average attendance for baseball compared to football though?

It's pointless comparing totals when baseball has 133 games for each team versus 30 regular season games in the K-League.

Here are the numbers from last season. Counting only the regular season.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat May 08, 2010 1:33 pm

Hmmm... this season so far for the K-League:

Code: Select all

Team                     TotCrowd  HomePlayed  AveCrowd
FC Seoul                  202,573           5    40,514
Suwon Samsung Bluewings   123,966           5    24,793
Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors     86,562           5    17,312
Gyeongnam FC               67,878           5    13,575
Chunnam Dragons            65,497           5    13,099
Daejeon Citizen            60,155           5    12,031
Incheon United             54,623           5    10,924
Pohang Steelers            53,249           5    10,649
Gangwon FC                 58,332           6     9,722
Ulsan Hyundai Horang-i     36,690           5     7,338
Gwangju Sangmu Phoenix     30,903           5     6,180
Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma      23,110           5     4,622
Daegu FC                   21,955           5     4,391
Busan I'Park               21,055           5     4,211
Jeju United                19,680           6     3,280

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat May 08, 2010 1:38 pm

Total crowd so far: just over 926,000
Average attendance so far: just over 12,000

kingkenny7
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby kingkenny7 » Sat May 08, 2010 3:27 pm

Rothesay Saint wrote:
kingkenny wrote:

Any chance of a quick translation for those of us who learn most of their Korean at church. :-)

Mildduras is new word from Korean Fitba Ultras.. Summing word as Kim Il-du, the Suwon Grandblue's head and Ultras. It's some banter name against Grandblue from Highlanders of Suwon. It contains a meaning that Grandblue is just following their leader Il-du and have no intention to support. (Not my opinion)
a Seongnam FC Fan living in Down Under.

Evergreen
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Evergreen » Sat May 08, 2010 4:19 pm

kingkenny wrote:
Rothesay Saint wrote:
kingkenny wrote:

Mildduras is new word from Korean Fitba Ultras.. Summing word as Kim Il-du, the Suwon Grandblue's head and Ultras. It's some banter name against Grandblue from Highlanders of Suwon. It contains a meaning that Grandblue is just following their leader Il-du and have no intention to support. (Not my opinion)

So it was actually invented by Suwon fans? This is hilarious. And he has ran off like a child to the police crying that some Daejeon fans made a banner with a word that Suwon fans themselves use against him? Haha! What a moron.

This brings about an important question.

Is Bluewings a 밀뚜라스?

mustoe02
National League champion
National League champion

Postby mustoe02 » Sat May 08, 2010 5:39 pm

This brings about an important question.

Is Bluewings a 밀뚜라스?

Oh dear oh dear, at least Bluewings never lets us down. Regular as clockwork, once a month, he comes on and insults someone.

As to whether he is a 밀뚜라스, definitely maybe.

Of the people that go most or every week, not really. But without fail he'll turn up most matches himself with a small gaggle of random North Americans who don't know which team is which and why no one is picking up the ball. In that sense, he is a clear 밀뚜라스.

If I say anything too bad about him I need only wait about thirty more days for him to come on here and call me a c-word. :smt116

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:15 pm

Holyjoe wrote:
sjc_three wrote:Right, I've held off so far, but now feel I have to know. What the deal with the chickens?

It's to do with the "Wings" in Suwon's name and of course the 'Big Bird' stadium name, and goes back to the old Suwon-Anyang rivalry... there were some cracking banners from back in the day:

Suwon's 'big bird' sticking it to the Anyang Cheetah:

Anyang's Cheetah getting revenge:

I seem to recall the Anyang fans decapitated a live chicken at one match which caused a fair bit of outrage. All in the name of fun, of course.

Anyone got a working link to these banners?

Return to “K League”