Round 11 - 2010 K League Season (Children's Day)

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.

Will you be attending a Children's Day match?

Poll ended at Tue May 11, 2010 5:13 pm

Absolutely.
38%
No, I'm busy.
19%
If I was in Korea, I would.
44%

Total votes: 16

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Re: Round 11 - 2010 K League Season (Children's Day)

Postby sjc_three » Wed May 05, 2010 5:17 pm

That's a pretty decent link, Mipo. They're showing the Seoul game now. Does it always show Korean games?

nzfooty
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion

Postby nzfooty » Wed May 05, 2010 5:31 pm

60,747 at Sangnam... it does look quite full.

Hootsmon
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi

Postby Hootsmon » Wed May 05, 2010 6:16 pm

According to the K-League official website, Incheon United beat Gangwon 2-1...with Yoo Byung Soo scoring both goals for Incheon again! :smt007

It really is only a matter of time until he ends up somewhere bigger and better...the last player we had who was as exciting as Yoo was Dejan, who, of course, just scored a hattrick for Seoul. If only we could hold on to our good players!

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Wed May 05, 2010 8:40 pm

I was expecting a very different day. Instead I was able to run off with my two sons and actually got through the crowd just in time for Seoul's kickoff against Seongnam. It was an interesting environment. I kind of like the quite Tancheon better where parking is 8 times cheaper. 4-0 stinks, but then again Seongnam hasn't won there since 2005. The years of defeat have to end soon. Seongnam is a pretty good team. May 26th Seongnam will have another chance to extend or end the dismal record in Sangam.
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Wed May 05, 2010 9:22 pm

Wow....that was bad. I kind of wish the wife didn't agree to go to the game now.

Gyeongnam stunk basically. It was like deja vu from the first half of last season. One half hearted shot on goal from Dong-Chan in all of the first half from the boys. Busan weren't much better but were the better team going in with their number 9 missing a sitter early on in the first half. That was basically the extent of the entertainment with a lot of niggly fouls resulting in players falling over seemingly every minute.

My wife (and jamesedrupts) actually left at half time to make it 3 out of 3 times that my wifey hasn't made it through a K-league game yet. I couldn't blame her. I love football but that was terrible. A woman commented behind us to her husband "you actually enjoy this?". I have a feeling almost every woman in the stadium (and a good percentage of the men) were thinking what am I doing here on my day off?

Second half wasn't much different playing wise but Busan got the deserved goal on the counter-attack with a shot getting defended by goalie Byeong-Ji which was deflected straight back into the path of a Busan player for the goal with maybe their only shot of the game. Maybe the first decent attacking run we had seen all game and this point it was about the 64th minute. Lucio finally got subbed off (awful today) at around the 75th minute and the boys seemed to pick up the tempo with some decent runs which got more frantic as the end came. Couple of decent chances went begging with the best coming in injury time where it all it needed was for defended Yong-Gi (38) to put his foot out coming on to a cross at the back post for a certain goal but somehow he screwed it.

Gyeongnam had more shots and more possession but did nothing with it and Busan were deserved winners. Decent crowd on hand, not quite 16000 they have declared but maybe about 10-12 000 would be about right. Pity they got to see the first home defeat of the season.
So off the top now......hope we can pick it up after the break.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Wed May 05, 2010 10:12 pm

Wow....that was good. :)

Where to start? Well Seongnam were terrible which helped enormously. I have seen them a dozen or so times over the years but never seen them as bad as that. Don't know if it was just a tired performance or what, but they were weak at the back and offered very little up front all day. Don't know who was the forward but he was certainly no Chichi. Seoul have been vunerable to wide balls all season yet Seongnam persisted on playing through the middle right to the end.

Wouldn't say Seoul were wonderful but the tactics were spot on and Dejan was excellent, well worth his hat-trick and if he had been a bit greedier he could have had all four today. Bang Seung Hwan (as Hootsman says below) was an odd signing and I felt that he might have been signed as a back up striker (a replacement for Lee Sang-hyeop) but he has played well and even though he looked like the Phantom of the Opera today, he had another decent game.

The crowd was huge, obviously it was inflated slightly (it was after all a K-league game) but I would roughly estimate about 45-50,000 there. So many in fact that they opened up the south stand to home fans too (if you half closed your eyes it looked like Seongnam actually had supporters).

If I can have one slight moan, I have a season ticket for the East Stand, but had to go to the West stand as the East was full when I arrived at 2.40pm. Seems a little unfair when I already have a ticket but it is hardly a major problem and has been well documented on here before Seoul are all about expanding to new fans, instead of looking after a hard core following and they are doing that very, very well at the moment.

I sent KingKenny a couple of texts but he is not answering at the moment, can't think why. :smt117
Bring back King Cha.

Evergreen
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Evergreen » Wed May 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Thought we played very well today and deserved at least the point we got. It really was a very good game, end to end stuff. Congrats to rookie keeper 양동원 who saved a penalty too.

Will write a more detailed analysis tomorrow.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Wed May 05, 2010 11:16 pm

Tsk, no-one has put up the results yet.

Pohang Steelers 1 - 1 Ulsan Hyundai
Jeju United 1 - 0 Daegu FC
Gyeongnam FC 0 - 1 Busan I\'Park
FC Seoul 4 - 0 Seongnam Ilhwa
Gangwon FC 1 - 2 Incheon United
Suwon C.W. 0 - 0 Daejeon Citizen
Chunnam Dragons 3 - 2 Jeonbuk FC
Bring back King Cha.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Thu May 06, 2010 12:19 am

ACL teams not doing too well in the league. Wonder if that will change any time soon.

Busan in the playoff spots :smt103 . Quick, someone write a book about them while they're doing so well.

kingkenny7
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby kingkenny7 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:39 am

Rothesay Saint wrote:I sent KingKenny a couple of texts but he is not answering at the moment, can't think why. :smt117

Haha sorry mate. I was stunned then by so many crowd.. even S stand were full of people! Hm..

Yeah we were quite bad and especially 4th goal as from the worst player Seongnam have now, Go Jae-sung in right back. Seoul apparently send all the balls to that space.

Ahhgghh anyway it was more painful that so many people were gathered.. like 2004 ACL final 2nd leg. When we were beaten by Al-Ittihad 5-0 then. In post-match interview, gaffer said "Maybe players were astonished by so many crowds" what an excuse!
a Seongnam FC Fan living in Down Under.

mustoe02
National League champion
National League champion

Postby mustoe02 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:05 am

Thought we played very well today and deserved at least the point we got. It really was a very good game, end to end stuff. Congrats to rookie keeper 양동원 who saved a penalty too.

Sorry to disagree, I thought that it wasn’t a particularly great game today, probably because I was supporting the other team. The game flowed from end to end nicely, but there was a distinct lack of decent chances.

Juninho missed a penalty for us, and clear as day Kwak Hee-Ju should have been given one late on (but got booked instead), but had we won it would have been a bit of a travesty. Daejeon were by far the better side for a decent chunk of the game. There were big parts of the first half especially when me and my pal were looking at each other and saying that Daejeon were looking like the home side and we only had a chance on the counter.

Just a bit shit really. Lee Kwan-Woo started, his first game in at least 18 months, as memory serves, and to be fair, he looked okay for the sixty minutes he played. We are just todge though, so little desire and confidence. Too many shitty haircuts and coloured boots and not enough Cho Won-Hee’s and Li Weifeng’s getting stuck in and giving a monkeys.

Oh yeah, the attendance was 38,352, and there were more folk there than I’ve seen since at least the FC Seoul home game last summer. Having said that, 38,000-odd is only 5,000 off the capacity, yet there were only three sections anywhere near full (N lower, E upper and lower) plus a smattering in the N upper, Daejeon end and W lower. I’m not sure if anyone’s ever mentioned this before, but K-League attendances are a joke.
:wink:
Last edited by mustoe02 on Thu May 06, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Thu May 06, 2010 2:29 am

eujin wrote:Busan in the playoff spots :smt103 . Quick, someone write a book about them while they're doing so well.

I'm happy to oblige!

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Thu May 06, 2010 2:48 am

Rothesay Saint wrote:Tsk, no-one has put up the results yet.

Chunnam Dragons 3 - 2 Jeonbuk FC

Well, this edition of the Jeolla derby isn't really something that I want to be reminded about. :smt090
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

kingkenny7
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby kingkenny7 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:10 am

MipoFanatic wrote:
eujin wrote:Busan in the playoff spots :smt103 . Quick, someone write a book about them while they're doing so well.

I'm happy to oblige!

ohh I'm really looking forward to it!!
a Seongnam FC Fan living in Down Under.

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Thu May 06, 2010 7:46 am

eujin wrote:ACL teams not doing too well in the league. Wonder if that will change any time soon.

Out of 10 games, winning five and tying three is "not doing too well". Seongnam is doing JUST FINE. But there is a good bit of concern solely because Seongnam's second half schedule has quite a few more away games.
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “K League”