Citizen clubs making profits

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Re: Citizen clubs making profits

Postby daeguowl » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:54 am

Firstly, it's a bit disingenuous to say that you're getting good gates from Suwon's comparativly small population. If so, who's getting all those free buses they (used to) run from Sadang/Gangnam. A fair number of supporters are travlling from Seoul for every game. If you take into account that Seoul also has three baseball teams, suddenly it's a much more even playing field.

Secondly, i've heard that investment in football from Samsung and LG is closely tied into the personal feelings towarda the game by the Chaebol chairman. The LG chairman is a huge football fan, Samsung not so much...and however much you'd like to say that Samsung's financial performance has no impact on its support for the Bingowings, as a listed company it does have some responsibilty to its shareholders and frankly, if I was auditing the company I'd be writing that investment down to zero!

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:33 pm

Suwonesque wrote:So, Suwon board thinks that if they don't get anything from the investment, the best way to run the club is to nurture their own academy players and sign a very decent 1-2 players on the top of that in a season. That was evident when they promoted Seo Jung-won and co to the coaching staff. This year Suwon did utilize the some young players like Min Sang-Gi, Kim Dae Kyung, Cho Ji-hun and do have at least 2-3 academy players in the squad. We will see 2-3 addition in the coming season as well. Releasing and loaning best paid players is a good idea of they are under-performing.

I was hoping for more posts about volleyball. :(

It would be really good for Korean football if the above is what Suwon plan on doing. Bringing through young players in the K-league and giving them a chance early on in their career. It's unlikely to help them win any trophies though and I wonder if the next generation of screaming middle school girls will still want to watch a team that hasn't won a trophy for three years, and hasn't even finished in the top three for the last five seasons. After all, as has already been pointed out, most of them come from a city which has a more successful football team, with as big a support.
Bring back King Cha.

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:42 pm

So Suwon are planning on following the Incheon/Gyeongnam/Seongnam business model of cutting costs and promoting youth to their top squad because their rich backers are no longer willing to front up shedloads of cash. They'll become just like, erm... well, Incheon, Gyeongnam or Seongnam. Mid table obscurity and an erosion of that support base beckons.

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:49 pm

Of course, Chairman's personal interest plays big part when taking a big decision but for a company like samsung, who is among global top 9 brand, will make an ethical and also cautious decision which also meets their business interests after all it is about money.

Daeguowl, you seem like a big guy who has links with CEOs. Good for you, buddy. i used to work for them but quit recently. Glad to see my posts get replies at least from one person. Seems someone cant stand anything about Suwon or Samsung. :lol: Unlike you, i have a very big investment in GS Energy.

Regarding free shuttle buses, it is not new thing in Suwon. Even EPL teams offer such package to the fans. Seoul can do the same if they want. Ah but they cant. They cant even attract their own citizens, how can they attract others? :wink:
Blue is the color!

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:09 pm

Suwonesque wrote:Of course, Chairman's personal interest plays big part when taking a big decision but for a company like samsung, who is among global top 9 brand, will make an ethical and also cautious decision which also meets their business interests after all it is about money.

Daeguowl, you seem like a big guy who has links with CEOs. Good for you, buddy. i used to work for them but quit recently. Glad to see my posts get replies at least from one person. Seems someone cant stand anything about Suwon or Samsung. :lol: Unlike you, i have a very big investment in GS Energy.

Regarding free shuttle buses, it is not new thing in Suwon. Even EPL teams offer such package to the fans. Seoul can do the same if they want. Ah but they cant. They cant even attract their own citizens, how can they attract others? :wink:

Just trying to stand up for Seoul. Anyhow, if you're now working for GS, be sure to come and say hi when you come to Sangam for GS employee day.

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:25 pm

I am not working for GS either. Except for Suwon games and some important international matches, I won't visit Sangam even if they offer me free VIP seat.
My investment in GS energy is in the form of stock.

As for the profit, with the current rate I don't think any citizen club will make any profit, unless something miracle happens.
Only professional league that generates revenue is Korean baseball league.
Blue is the color!

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:48 am

Suwonesque wrote:Regarding free shuttle buses, it is not new thing in Suwon. Even EPL teams offer such package to the fans. Seoul can do the same if they want. Ah but they cant. They cant even attract their own citizens, how can they attract others? :wink:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Seoul had just slightly less in average attendance that Suwon, and these two teams are miles ahead of most of the league. This is done without free buses from other cities, or even from inside the rather wide city.

Speaking of large city, you would expect the attendance to be higher, but isn't baseball Korea's number one sport, and aren't there a crap load of these teams in and around Seoul?

I'd say we are doing pretty damn well on both home and away attendance considering we are not helped by the club.
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:44 pm

Good news for Suwon which will earn them a bit extra cash, the owners of the Suwon World Cup stadium have agreed to reduce the rental figure they have to pay to play at the stadium. According to this article they were previously paying out 25% of all ticket sales to the stadium owners but they've agreed to reduce that figure to 10%. The article says that Suwon were generally spending around 3억5000만원 to play at the stadium but from 2014 that figure could be as low as 1억5000만원 which will definitely help with the reduced operating budget.

The article also names percentages of a few other clubs - Jeonbuk pay 15% of their ticket sales revenue to the stadium owners, FC Seoul pay 10%, Gyeongnam and Jeju 5% and of course Pohang and Incheon don't have to pay anything as they both own/run their stadiums. Suwon were alone in paying more than 15% and they were giving up a quarter of their gate receipts in the past.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:03 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Good news for Suwon which will earn them a bit extra cash, the owners of the Suwon World Cup stadium have agreed to reduce the rental figure they have to pay to play at the stadium. According to this article they were previously paying out 25% of all ticket sales to the stadium owners but they've agreed to reduce that figure to 10%. The article says that Suwon were generally spending around 3억5000만원 to play at the stadium but from 2014 that figure could be as low as 1억5000만원 which will definitely help with the reduced operating budget.

The article also names percentages of a few other clubs - Jeonbuk pay 15% of their ticket sales revenue to the stadium owners, FC Seoul pay 10%, Gyeongnam and Jeju 5% and of course Pohang and Incheon don't have to pay anything as they both own/run their stadiums. Suwon were alone in paying more than 15% and they were giving up a quarter of their gate receipts in the past.

I wonder how this tied in with the inflated crowds we've seen in the past. Good luck trying to reconcile a reported attendance of 30k to a few million in ticket receipts from the 5k that actually attended.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:41 pm

Read a few rumours that Incheon United club officials have had meetings with "a consortium of businesses" with a view to selling off ownership because the city are finding it harder and harder to finance the club to the levels that are required to make it competitive. Don't think things have gone much further than the whole "let's go to the room salon to discuss things" stage but we'll see what happens. Perhaps RothesaySaint and SaintsCanada would like to reprise their 'corporate whores' debate from this thread? ;)

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:23 pm

LOL.

Holyjoe wrote:Read a few rumours that Incheon United club officials have had meetings with "a consortium of businesses" with a view to selling off ownership because the city are finding it harder and harder to finance the club to the levels that are required to make it competitive. Don't think things have gone much further than the whole "let's go to the room salon to discuss things" stage but we'll see what happens. Perhaps RothesaySaint and SaintsCanada would like to reprise their 'corporate whores' debate from this thread? ;)
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:27 pm

I imagine Seongnam with rich Bundang and YongIn with all its golf courses and Everland can pay for KLeague teams, but of course financially, they should NOT do such things. I would love another crazy man like the Moon to buy Seongnam and burn money on the team sadly to never see any return on investment.
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:30 pm

A group of businesses should hold a press conference on KLeague finances and the doomed future of the National Team. Hit home to people why they have to support the KLeague.
AnAmerican

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:09 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Read a few rumours that Incheon United club officials have had meetings with "a consortium of businesses" with a view to selling off ownership because the city are finding it harder and harder to finance the club to the levels that are required to make it competitive. Don't think things have gone much further than the whole "let's go to the room salon to discuss things" stage but we'll see what happens. Perhaps RothesaySaint and SaintsCanada would like to reprise their 'corporate whores' debate from this thread? ;)

Surely nothing to do with the fact that the douche-bag Saenuri-dang candidate won an election upset for Incheon mayor a couple months ago. ;)
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

Crane
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Crane » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:28 am

Didn't even think of that connection but I think you've hit the nail on the head...

Return to “K League”