K-League in the IFFHS

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

K-League in the IFFHS

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:54 am

This has been discussed at length (far too long, really) on other threads, and it's hardly an accurate assessment of league strength anyway, but it gets the Korean media in a bit of a tizz each and every time they come out with rankings so might as well stick a wee thread together with the stats from older ones.

The IFFHS have released their 2008 league rankings, and the K-League has now fallen to a new low of 85th:

27. Japan
35. Uzbekistan
38. Singapore
46. Lebanon
57. Iran
58. Bahrain
60. Australia
61. Syria
63. Libya
65. Saudi Arabia
68. China
71. Yemen
79. Qatar
84. Malaysia
85. South Korea

Perhaps Ilija Petkovic was misquoted about the "100 goals in one season" thing and he actually meant the K-League should target being the 100th best this year?

Previous rankings:

28. Japan
34. Jordan
39. Singapore
42. Iran
46. Uzbekistan
52. Lebanon
54. South Korea

49. Uzbekistan
57. South Korea
58. Japan
59. Syria
63. Oman
64. Jordan
65. China

36. UAE
41. Saudi Arabia
46. China
53. South Korea
56. Japan
57. Qatar
63. Iran
67. Kuwait
69. Jordan

43. South Korea
47. Japan
53. Saudi Arabia
57. Uzbekistan
64. Iran
65. China
70. UAE
72. India
73. Oman, Syria

39. South Korea
34. Uzbekistan
50. Saudi Arabia

International Federation of Football History & Statistics

The classification of the best leagues of the world is made objectively without any outside influence of any sort. We follow the criteria that the level of performance of a league is reflected by the best classified teams of that league who in turn usually represent their country in international club competitions. If one looks at the football power-houses of the world, one notices that regularly 4 or 5 clubs of their leagues are always competing in continental competitions. By adding the points won in all competitions by the five best placed clubs of each league, we have the points for the country which in turn helps to establish a fair classification. It is important to note that only the yearly classification is representative, since all competitions move along the whole season and over twelve months, we have an objective view of the best. This system has been used since 1991, and it is recognized today as the most precise in rating the leagues of the world.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Re: K-League in the IFFHS

Postby Rothesay Saint » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:05 am

Clearly the rankings are based on how much you can wind up the country's media. :lol:
Bring back King Cha.

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:15 pm

Interesting to compare the IFFHS rankings with my own ranking system that I've been working on, also "made objectively without any outside influence of any sort". The K-League comes out third behind the Guatemalan First Division and the Seychelles Premier League. Hooray for the K-League!

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:36 pm

Their classification system is a load if I'm understanding it correctly. It rewards competitions which are given more places in regional compeititions for starters which is based on that leagues strength but they may have a crap year but still retain the same number of places the next year.

It also seems to reward competitions which have more games if they are adding up points that those top sides get. Not to mention that you have imbalanced competitions where the top sides run away with them every year which has sod all to do with the overall strength of that league.

I bet the K-League had a good year when they had 44 league games.
Anyang Fo' Life

mustoe02
National League champion
National League champion

Postby mustoe02 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:17 am

I've just realised the reason why I at least am always so suckered into this (kind of) thread, and why I find it so humourous.

It seems we spend a decent amount of time complaining about the K-League, it's organization, the standard etc. but as soon as someone else comes on and slags it off we all get pissed off with them. Kind of like it being okay to make disparaging comments about your own girlfriend's weight (not that I necassarily make a habit of this), but if some other bugger steps even a little out of line...

This said, the idea that more than 30 leagues in the world have become better than Korea's in just a single year (no matter what tangents, coefficients or space-time continuums they may be using) suggests that it was way out of line last year, this year or, let's face it truthfully, more than likely both years.

But if you're happy with your own girlfriend's weight, then who gives a shit what some fellows in Brussels or Zurich (probably) think?

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:51 pm

I'm suddenly interested in following the Sudan League now that I see it's of a higher standard than the K-League.

Of course the system used to work that out is internationally recognised as being flawless, perfect and indisputably precise.

Why doesn't somebody tell these turkeys that ll you would need was three football experts to watch a few games in each of the leagues and they could make a list twice as accurate.
Anyang Fo' Life

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:52 pm

Oh yeah, apparently NZ doesn't have a domestic league.
Anyang Fo' Life

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:50 pm

Too bad about NZ. They had a really good league last year.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1120&p=14460&hilit=gothenburg#p14460

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:00 pm

eujin wrote:Too bad about NZ. They had a really good league last year.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1120&p=14460&hilit=gothenburg#p14460

Yes, I remember the glory days of the NZFC. You've never seen football like that on display between Manawatu and Waikato circa 07.

NZ got a team to qualify for the World Club Competition (cos it's so hard for them to beat club teams from Vanuatu) again this year so that makes us in the top 8 domestic leagues around the world using my complex ranking formula.

A better way to rank competitions would be to look at the monetary value of each of the clubs or to simply add up their operating costs including salaries. Or how much ramyeon the players eat before a game.
Anyang Fo' Life

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:41 pm

Everyone loves the IFFHS again, as they've selected Pohang as the World's Club Team of the Month for June 2009.

What do you think of that, Rivaldo?

:blob2: :blob3: :blob4: :blob5: :blob7:

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:01 pm

There was an article about IFFHS in Der Spiegel a couple of weeks back. I can't help linking to it, just for completeness and the benefit of mustoe. Basically it says that IFFHS is run by this one German guy called Alfredo Pöge, who was forced to flee East Germany shortly after he set the organisation up because the Stasi didn't agree that the Sudanese top flight was better than the Finnish. He's now based out of Abu Dhabi and is convinced that there is a worldwide Stalinist plot to hush up his statistical findings by making fun of them. He has a doctorate if that helps, not unlike Angela Merkel.

mustoe02
National League champion
National League champion

Postby mustoe02 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:27 pm

Abu Dhabi? Ah! It's so obvious now...

Bu seriously, the air must have been red after he made those suggestions about the Sudanese league- laughable.

I'm just glad to finally find out that it's not all just a massive waste of time and that it is as valid as we all knew it was from the outset.

And Eujin, my German isn't great dispite the years of technically studying it at school, but I remember that spiegel means mirror...how do you like that?

I bloody hope it does mean mirror.

Gerd Bibimbapper
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Gerd Bibimbapper » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:45 pm

I'm suddenly interested in following the Sudan League now that I see it's of a higher standard than the K-League.

Higher standard for who, exactly?

And don't anybody say 'the supporters don't count', 'cos I'm not buying it for a second. :albino: :albino: :albino: :albino: :albino:

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:52 pm

The latest nonsense list from Alfie is Asia's Club of the Century, won by Saudi side Al-Hilal by quite a considerable margin. It takes into account results from continental competition, and the Korean clubs are:

5. Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma
7. Pohang Steelers
17. Busan I'Park
23. Suwon Samsung Bluewings
41. Chunnam Dragons
54. Ulsan Hyundai Horang-i
58. Yangzee FC
68. Tungsten Mining

April 25 were the only side from North of the border to make the list, coming in at 21st.

mustoe02
National League champion
National League champion

Postby mustoe02 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:15 pm

Ha ha ha! :smt081

Suwon managed to come twenty-third despite only playing for four years of the century!

What does that say about the rest of the continent? :smt109

Return to “K League”