K-League in the IFFHS

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: K-League in the IFFHS

Postby eujin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:28 pm

mustoe02 wrote:Ha ha ha! :smt081

Suwon managed to come twenty-third despite only playing for four years of the century!

What does that say about the rest of the continent? :smt109

Not a lot. Suwon came two places below the stallions of 4.25, who don't even have a goalkeeper.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:55 am

mustoe02 wrote:What does that say about the rest of the continent? :smt109

Not sure, but it means that your club is worse than the lowly I'Park. :lol:

mustoe02
National League champion
National League champion

Postby mustoe02 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:09 pm

Not sure, but it means that your club is worse than the lowly I'Park.

No shame in that!

Having thought about it, they changed the Suwon club badge to saying we were formed in 1995 (December) last year, which certainly help to legitimize the list, having been in existance for a whopping 5% of the century (well, four years and one month).

Why have they done this list now? Surely lists like these were all the rage about a decade ago and it's all a bit passe now? Does this give me the chance to say what does that say about the rest of the continent? :smt102 again?

I prefer such lists when they say something like 'Asian Football Club of the Millenium'- much more gravitas.

But why stop at just a millenium? How about 'World Asian Football Club of All time and Forever in the Universe...Ever!'

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:39 am

The current Club World Ranking list has Pohang at joint 70th with ACL final opponents Al Ittihad at 83rd, level with Rangers. Winning the ACL will be a piece of piss then.

As several rather proud Korean media outlets point out, Pohang are the first Korean club to break into the top 100 in this ranking since Seongnam were ranked 82nd in January 2005.

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:52 am

This post is almost a year old, but I found it quite profound.

mustoe02 wrote:I've just realised the reason why I at least am always so suckered into this (kind of) thread, and why I find it so humourous.

It seems we spend a decent amount of time complaining about the K-League, it's organization, the standard etc. but as soon as someone else comes on and slags it off we all get pissed off with them. Kind of like it being okay to make disparaging comments about your own girlfriend's weight (not that I necassarily make a habit of this), but if some other bugger steps even a little out of line...

This said, the idea that more than 30 leagues in the world have become better than Korea's in just a single year (no matter what tangents, coefficients or space-time continuums they may be using) suggests that it was way out of line last year, this year or, let's face it truthfully, more than likely both years.

But if you're happy with your own girlfriend's weight, then who gives a shit what some fellows in Brussels or Zurich (probably) think?
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:25 am

Thanks to Pohang's exploits in the ACL the K-League has gone battering up the IFFHS rankings, from 85th this time last year to 31st.

28. Japan
31. South Korea
32. Saudi Arabia
33. Uzbekistan
50. Iran
56. Libya
57. Syria
62. Thailand
67. Singapore
70. UAE
72. China
76. Vietnam
77. Malaysia
80. Lebanon
81. Yemen
84. Australia
87. Indonesia
88. Kuwait
89. Jordan
90. Qatar
91. Hong Kong
93. Bahrain
98. Oman

The K-League's clearly the best it's ever been :smt109

2003: 39 (1st in Asia)
2004: 43 (1st)
2005: 53 (4th)
2006: 57 (2nd)
2007: 54 (7th)
2008: 85 (15th)
2009: 31 (2nd)

mustoe02
National League champion
National League champion

Postby mustoe02 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:34 pm

The K-League's clearly the best it's ever been

Yay! Do you think stadiums up and down the peninsula will be crammed full come the new season, watching officially the 31st best league in the world?

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:28 am

Annoyingly this years list seems fairly sensible. Hopefully it is just a statistical anomaly and they get back to being insane next year. :smt117
Bring back King Cha.

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:51 am

Rothesay Saint wrote:Annoyingly this years list seems fairly sensible.

Oh I don't know, Lebanon is still outperforming Australia, plucky Qatar get a team into the semis of the ACL but that doesn't put them above Yemen who couldn't get a team into the knockout stages of the AFC Cup; and Libya have somehow found their way into the AFC, but perhaps that's just Holyjoe.

Looking at the full list, Sudan is stronger than Finland (still!), Moldova better than Sweden and Scotland better than Oman. Who's to say, who's to say? DR Congo don't appear to have a league, which is a shame because their team won the CAF Champions League. And those pesky New Zealanders don't deserve a rating either.

I suppose Estonia (and Angola) has to be higher than Poland because Levadia Tallinn beat Wisla Krakow in the Champions League. Is that how it works?

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:59 am

eujin wrote:
Rothesay Saint wrote:Annoyingly this years list seems fairly sensible.

Oh I don't know, Lebanon is still outperforming Australia, plucky Qatar get a team into the semis of the ACL but that doesn't put them above Yemen who couldn't get a team into the knockout stages of the AFC Cup; and Libya have somehow found their way into the AFC, but perhaps that's just Holyjoe.

Looking at the full list, Sudan is stronger than Finland (still!), Moldova better than Sweden and Scotland better than Oman. Who's to say, who's to say? DR Congo don't appear to have a league, which is a shame because their team won the CAF Champions League. And those pesky New Zealanders don't deserve a rating either.

I suppose Estonia (and Angola) has to be higher than Poland because Levadia Tallinn beat Wisla Krakow in the Champions League. Is that how it works?

Right enough, I should have looked closer. Apologies to anyone at the IFFHS for any offence caused by questioning the fact that they are quite clearly insane.
Bring back King Cha.

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:59 pm

By the way, if one were to give the Kiwis a rating, they'd obviously have to be above UAE, which would put them at least 70th and well above the West Island's regional league. Clearly Shane Smeltz is the best player in the A-League anyway, so that shouldn't surprise. Perhaps he should be looking for a move to the NZFC.

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:53 pm

Wait a minute. Auckland City are ranked as the 280th best club team in the world but clearly they are the 5th best team in the world which was evident at the FIFA WC championships.

And they are the best team in Africa as well.

And coached by a fulltime dentist and players who work 40 hour weeks.

Seriously why do clubs waste hundreds of millions of dollars to put themselves hundreds of millions of dollars more in debt when a team like Auckland City will make more of a profit (a few hundred thousand) than hundreds of European clubs?

This is the 5th best football team in the worlds home ground.

Waitakere City (my team who are currently on top of the NZFC - making them the 4th best club team in the world) play here at Waitakere Stadium (I live about 5 minutes drive to the north of this photo):Image
Incidentally this is where the All Blacks train when they are playing a test in Auckland or about to fly out of the country on tour.
Anyang Fo' Life

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:19 am

Nam Ik-kyung is an interesting case for comparisons. He never did much in the K-League, scoring 6 times in 81 games for Pohang and Gwangju, but he had a very decent season last year for Finnish top flight side JJK of Jyväskylä, scoring 8 goals in 23 games, including two in the relegation playoffs in a not very good team. He was the team top scorer last year and has certainly done better than other Koreans that have shown up there.

But does anyone know what has happened to Nam Ik-kyung? His name isn't on the team list on the club's webpage for their 2010 squad.

http://www.fcjjk.com/fi/joukkueet/edustusjoukkue/?id=301

Read into this what you will, but according to transfermarkt.de (more Germans :wink: ) he has the same valuation as another Pohang native, Ee Dong-guk.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:40 pm

eujin wrote:Read into this what you will, but according to transfermarkt.de (more Germans :wink: ) he has the same valuation as another Pohang native, Ee Dong-guk.

well, at least he is scoring goals in Europe.

but I can forgive that website (transfermarkt.de). They deal with a huge amount of data and many diferent players.

Reading IFFHS publications on the other hand is like following a two year old with a bunch of crayons. They think they are communicating something important but they don't know how.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:50 am

Steelers Ranked Asia’s No. 1
04-06-2010

Korean Football League side Pohang Steelers has been ranked No. 46 in the world. The team secured Asia's No. 1 spot, climbing 16 places from No. 62 last month, according to the International Federation Football History and Statistics (IFFHS) Tuesday.

The Steelers outperformed Asia's No. 2, Saudi Arabian club Al-Hilal, which ranked 83rd.

Spanish club, FC Barcelona has held onto the first spot for the past two months followed by Club Estudiantes de la Plata of Argentina which climbed up five places.

Three English Premier League teams fell slightly.

Chelsea dropped to fourth from second; Manchester United was fifth; while another big EPL club Arsenal was named eighth. Roma in ninth is the lone Italian club in the top 10.

IFFC issues the monthly world football club rankings based on continental club matches and the FIFA Club World Cup rankings for the past year.

Seongnam are 170th and Suwon 171st best team in the world ( :lol: ). Jeonbuk are 243rd and FC Seoul are a pitiful 299th...

Rather bizarrely Celtic are 72nd and Rangers are 81st :?

Return to “K League”