Playoffs: First Round

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
Hootsmon
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi

Re: Playoffs: First Round

Postby Hootsmon » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:02 am

So, Ulsan versus Jeonbuk in the next round?

I'll be heading to Sangam to watch Seoul FC versus the winner of that round on November 30th, if anyone else is around and wants to play spot-the-Scotsman (just look for the drunk one...or, most drunk one...). Hope Ulsan win...they played the best fitba I've seen all season.

Then, I think the final between Suwon and the winner of that would be on December 7th, yas? Does anyone know where it will be played? Suwon's stadium? I'd like to go to that too.

Woo, watching K-League games that don't involve Incheon United...it could almost be entertaining...

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:04 am

The final will be double-legged.

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:30 am

Could Jeonbuk be this year's Pohang? They certainly came onto a run of form at the right time, and that win will be a hell of a confidence boost. Ulsan did win both matches 2-1 this season but Jeonbuk could well sneak it.

Interesting to see that K-League have brought in foreign referees again to officiate the important games - "Marcus" was in charge of the Ulsan game and "Torsten" did the Seongnam match.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:13 am

Wonder if it has anything to do with the match-fixing business in the K3...

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:00 pm

Does Marcus speak Korean? He seemed to spend quite a lot of time talking to the players explaining some point. The Pohang fans thought it was pretty funny.

Hootsmon

Postby Hootsmon » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:57 pm

MipoFanatic wrote:The final will be double-legged.

Ah-ha, of course it will be. Might be a bit far to Ulsan or Jeonbuk as a neutral but I'll probably check out the game at Suwon. Never been there before.

Holyjoe wrote:Could Jeonbuk be this year's Pohang? They certainly came onto a run of form at the right time, and that win will be a hell of a confidence boost. Ulsan did win both matches 2-1 this season but Jeonbuk could well sneak it.

Interesting to see that K-League have brought in foreign referees again to officiate the important games - "Marcus" was in charge of the Ulsan game and "Torsten" did the Seongnam match.

I don't see Jeonbuk making it past FC Seoul and Suwon but they could take Ulsan.

I find that weird that they've brought in foreign referees for these important matches - I had no idea they did that. Whatever reason it's for, it doesn't send out a good message. It basically says, for one reason or another, "We don't trust our own referees to do the job properly."

Sampo
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Sampo » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:09 pm

Here's an English article about the foreign refs.

K-League to Use Non-Korean Judges for Playoff Matches

By Kang Seung-woo
Staff Reporter

The K-League playoffs are to be officiated by non-Korean referees.

The league said Tuesday that the board of directors has decided to use foreign judges for the postseason, which kicks off on Nov. 22, due to local arbitrators being discredited.

The six-team playoffs feature six matches, including two-leg finals.

The Korean football league has brought in foreign arbitrators since 2002 after teams got unsatisfied with controversial decisions by local referees, and last year, the league handed over the whistle to non-Korean judges for the four playoff matches, minus the first two between No. 3-No.6 and No. 4-No. 5.

``We cannot reveal where they are from, but they will be convincible,'' said K-League secretary general Kim Won-dong, who was appointed president of newly-founded Kangwon FC.

``I hope the playoffs will be judged by internationals as it did last season,'' Pohang Steelers Brazilian manager Sergio Farias said before an FA Cup quarterfinal match on Nov. 5.

According to the league, referees will be drafted in from Japan, China, Germany and Australia.

Inviting foreign match officials is set to swallow up significantly more of the league budget than if Koreans were used.

The K-League will pay about 2 million won ($1,500) for a single match, while it usually hands over 650,000 won to its top-rated officials from Korea.

In addition to the payment, international referees are provided with plane tickets and lodging, further increasing the cost.

``It is not a big problem for domestic referees to officiate the postseason matches. But deep distrust to them by teams has brought non-Koreans into the field,'' a league official said.

Since 2005, the league has operated a three-step project to produce competitive referees, eventually hoping to send to send them to the Asian professional leagues, and then the European leagues.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2008/11/207_34314.html

The Korea Times doesn't have very in depth analysis but is it correct that Korean refs are not employed outside of Korea?

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:34 pm

``We cannot reveal where they are from, but they will be convincible,'' said K-League secretary general Kim Won-dong, who was appointed president of newly-founded Kangwon FC.

I hope that is a mis-transaltion and it does not mean they are convincible in the same way the Seoul Pabal team were. :cry:
Bring back King Cha.

Evergreen
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Evergreen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:37 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Interesting to see that K-League have brought in foreign referees again to officiate the important games - "Marcus" was in charge of the Ulsan game and "Torsten" did the Seongnam match.

Wish they'd have done that last year for the Ulsan-Daejeon playoff game. That refereeing display was the most one sided and biased I have ever seen.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:02 pm

Sampo wrote:...said K-League secretary general Kim Won-dong, who was appointed president of newly-founded Kangwon FC.

Uhhh, I hope he's resigning from the former position before next year, otherwise that's a whopping-great conflict of interest. :?

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:01 pm

Last time I saw what looked like an Australian referee was in the ROK vs UAE game. He was playing a kind of "advantage" rule when a player was offside, not blowing the whistle until the offside player touched the ball. This looked odd to me because I'm used to people being offside when the ball is played, I didn't think you had to touch the ball in order to be offside - interfering with play sure, but not necessarily touching the ball. Maybe it's a new interpretation that the buggers at FIFA have come up with (and that hasn't been uniformly implemented.)

In New Zealand we often had referees play advantage for five to ten seconds and then, seeing there was no advantage, would blow for the original foul :smt118. That rule was always one of the things that pissed me off about rugby, especially if you had to run after a guy, tackle him to end the advantage and then run back for the original foul.

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:08 pm

Sampo wrote:
[b]Since 2005, the league has operated a three-step project to produce competitive referees, eventually hoping to send to send them to the Asian professional leagues, and then the European leagues.

If they keep up the good work I'm sure one day we'll see Korean referees in at least one Asian professional league.

Gerd Bibimbapper
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Gerd Bibimbapper » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:20 pm

What time's kick-off at Sangnam on Nov 30?
Cheers

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:49 pm

It says 2pm on the FC Seoul website.
Bring back King Cha.

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:59 am

Strange game at Munsu. Not a good crowd for a Hauzen Cup game let alone a K-League, local-derby, playoff rematch. The official attendance was 9,000, I reckon it was more like 5,000. Allegedly there were 31,000 for last year's playoff game. Must've been played on Children's Day. There were almost twice as many Pohang fans as Ulsan fans.

Both teams disappointed. Maybe the good people of Ulsan had more sense than me. Pohang started very defensively. Their fullbacks were getting pushed right back into a 5-3-2. Almir started well for Ulsan but he slowly drifted backwards until he was basically playing at centre-back. Stebo got taken off in the second half, which just about killed off any chances Pohang had. I didn't notice if he picked up a knock - perhaps just one of Pariahs' inexplicable tactical substitutions. Ulsan had a chance to win just before full time with a shot that just missed the post but I would say that Pohang had the better share of the attacking possibilities.

Ulsan brought on some 18 year-old keeper for the penalties. It paid off as he saved the first two. On the second one he was pointing to one side of the goal daring the guy to put it there. I think everyone in the stadium realised he was going to dive the other way and that's where the guy put it. Pretty cocky for an 18 year old. Should look up his name. I think he plays for the U-19 national team, might be one to watch.

Return to “K League”