2017 K-League Classic

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: 2017 K-League Classic

Postby eujin » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:15 pm

I'd need a fairly detailed plan of who needs to be cleared out and what needs to be changed at grass roots before I wanted my team to miss the World Cup. Same with Scottish fans too I expect. We'll see what happens in the US.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:28 pm

eujin wrote:I'd need a fairly detailed plan of who needs to be cleared out and what needs to be changed at grass roots before I wanted my team to miss the World Cup. Same with Scottish fans too I expect. We'll see what happens in the US.

In the meantime the Investigative newshow "그것이 알고 싶다" is preparing an expose on the KFA. Anyone got any dirt to ship?

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:33 pm

I made my way down to Gwangyang for the POSCO derby. Pohang didn't deserve to win 3-1. Their three Brazilians all play from deep midfield. Muralha looks particularly uncomfortable crossing his own halfway line. Wanderson is technically a full-back but is often ahead of Muralha. Lulinha is a dirty player, diving and moaning all the time. At one point he tried to pull Choi Hyo-jin's hand off and should have been booked more than once. They stepped things up a bit in the second half but the days of Denilson, Suttibo and Okayama are long gone at Pohang.

Pohang dominated possession in the first half, though Jeonnam did exactly the right thing and sat back to allow Pohang's Brazilian midfield-defenders to pass the ball harmlessly around near halfway without ever threatening. The youngster Lee Rae-jun started ahead of top scorer Yang Dong-hyun at centre-forward and was singularly ineffective. He was substituted after only 38 minutes. I understand giving younger players a shot in what is for Pohang a largely meaningless match, but taking them off before half-time is not going to help build their confidence, even if they do look a long way from K-League standard (which isn't much).

In contrast to Pohang's foreign contingent, Jeonnam's overseas players played exactly where you need them, creating urgency going forward and direction towards goal. Particularly the Hungarian Feczesin caught my eye. He deserves a move to a bigger club if he stays in Korea. Pohang should take a very serious look at him.

Jeonnam got a goal from a defensive mix-up between Bae Seul-gi and the Pohang keeper, Kang Hyong-mu. Pohang went ahead in the second half thanks to an own goal. Yang Dong-hyun hit the bar and had another sitter he should have put away, but I still felt Pohang were undeserving of the three points, largely because they looked very pedestrian and had too many simple mistakes.

The official crowd of 1565 looked about right from what I saw. That's a least one thing that has been sorted since my days living in Korea. The Jeonnam crowd did a decent effort of keeping up the atmosphere and the fans present were keen enough. A shame this wasn't really reflected on the pitch, apart from perhaps Jeonnam's Feczesin and Jugovic. Pohang don't look like they're going to be getting much better any time soon. A slow steady decline; they are more likely to be in the second tier before they're challenging in the ACL again.

I was going to go and watch Anyang vs Busan today but the thought of sitting in a largely empty track stadium watching two under-motivated teams play a match whose result had probably already been decided beforehand didn't motivate me enough to haul myself through several hours worth of Seoul traffic. Has Korean football lost its magic? I don't know, I've only been to one match and maybe my memories of the past are too rose-tinted. I did get to go on the team bus, wander down to the Pohang dressing room at half time and out on to the pitch at the end. Things like that would get you into a lot of trouble in Germany. And Germany is not short of people getting themselves into trouble at the football. Everyone in Korea, in Gwangyang at least, was busy enjoying a fun day out.

RoqueJunior
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby RoqueJunior » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:36 pm

It depends...are times and times. Over the summer were some really nice games in the Challenge. Lately not so much...

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:07 am

Jeonnam look like they're doing their best to help Gwangju stay in the top flight.. they've had a run of three consecutive home matches where they've conceded 11 in total - three to Pohang at the weekend, prior to that it was four at home to Gwangju and before that one four at home to Daegu. They're on a horrific run of form and Gwangju have done well to close the gap to just four points, particularly as I was doing my best to relegate Gwangju just a few posts ago.

That said, Gwangju seem to have figured out that not using their star summer signing Niall McGinn is their best route to survival. Could be that new boss Kim Hak-bum just doesn't fancy him though, by my reckoning McGinn has played just 162 minutes out of the last 900 minutes of Gwangju league action. He's had 12 minutes of international action since joining up with Gwangju, from what I can see his last full ninety minutes of competitive football action was back on May 17th when Aberdeen beat Rangers 2-1 at Ibrox.

Gwangju
On at 67' v Ulsan (0-1)
On at 80' v Jeonbuk (1-3)
Subbed at 59' v Jeonnam (2-1)
Not selected v Pohang (2-3)
Not selected v Suwon (0-1)
Subbed at 61' v Daegu (0-1)
On at 52' v Jeonbuk (1-3)
N/A v Jeju (0-1) (International duty)
Unused v Incheon (0-0)
Subbed at HT v Sangju (3-2)
Unused v Seoul (1-4)
Unused v Gangwon (1-1)
Subbed at 79' v Jeju (1-1)
N/A v Ulsan (1-1) (International duty)
Unused v Jeonnam (4-2)
Unused v Sangju (1-0)

Subbed at 57' v Suwon in FA Cup (1-2)

Northern Ireland
On at 78' v San Marino
Unused v Czech Republic
Unused v Germany
Unused v Norway

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:36 pm

Jeonbuk won the title with a 3-0 win over second-placed Jeju. 38 year-old Ee Dong-guk scored his 200th K-League goal to lead the festivities.

Suwon, Ulsan and Seoul are still in the hunt for third place and an ACL spot. Sangju, Incheon and Jeonnam are still trying to avoid the relegation play-off spot.
Last edited by eujin on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:46 pm

Let me fix that for you!

eujin wrote:Jeonbuk won* the title with a 3-0 win over second-placed Jeju.

* During the course of the 2016 season Jeonbuk were deducted 9 poonts for match-fixing. Many people thought this punishment should have been held over to the start of the 2017 season in which case Jeonbuk would not have been champions this weekend.

Suwon, Ulsan and Seoul are still in the hunt for third place and an ACL place. Sangju, Incheon and Jeonnam are still trying to avoid the relegation play-off spot.

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Do many Seoul fans think that this punishment should have been held over to 2017?

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:33 pm

I've no idea to be honest.
eujin wrote:Do many Seoul fans think that this punishment should have been held over to 2017?

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:36 am

Gwangju are relegated after they lost 2-0 to Daegu.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:22 am

eujin wrote:Sangju, Incheon and Jeonnam are still trying to avoid the relegation play-off spot.

That Incheon vs. Sangju fixture is rather tasty.

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:22 am

A piece of top-drawer KFA planning to have the all-important last games of the split-season scheduled a week after a FIFA international break.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:13 am

Surprise surprise McGinn is leaving Gwangju...

Niall McGinn opens door for sensational return to Scotland after terminating his contract in South Korea
16 November 2017

Niall McGinn could be set for a return to Scotland after terminating his contract with South Korean side Gwanju.

The former Aberdeen winger was allowed to leave the club after they were relegated from the K-League.

And that is sure to spark interest from clubs in the Scottish Premiership after his successful spell with the Dons.

McGinn , a target for Hearts when he decided not to renew his deal at Pittodrie last season, is available for free.

He is keen on a return to Britain after an indifferent spell in the Far East and the disappointment of missing out on a World Cup place with Northern Ireland.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:22 am

So it's Sangju Sangmu sucked down into the promotion-relegation playoffs against Busan. POSCO-bankrolled Jeonnam avoid finishing second-bottom thanks only to goals scored.

Sangju will either become the first South Korean club relegated three times (in just six seasons), or the first K-League Classic club to win the promotion-relegation playoff (in five attempts).
Last edited by MipoFanatic on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:03 am

Holyjoe wrote:Surprise surprise McGinn is leaving Gwangju...

Only half a season, eh?

BBC claims he "failed to settle in the country," although no source provided for that claim.

Return to “K League”