The "Does he like kimchi?" thread

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: The "Does he like kimchi?" thread

Postby eujin » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:22 am

MipoFanatic wrote:Why don't they ever wear cheonmin costume?

That is an excellent idea.

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:15 am

wilkinsons son attended a preschool during his last year. he would eat korean food for lunch, then come home and not eat an aussie dinner. turned out that the family had to cook white rice for him. we'd go to restaurants and everyone would be enjoying themselves, the little on would eat rice (actually, that happened once i think). maybe leo's girls have korean food and get used to it and demand it for dinner?
well well well

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:12 am

Robert Cornthwaite almost definitely liked kimchi... and, if he didn't, he certainly thinks that other players should if they hope to be successful in Korea:

2: ADAPT TO LOCAL CUSTOMS AND CULTURE

The players who have the most success in Asian are the ones who adapt the best. Many foreigners tend to stick together from the various countries they're from, and as such can isolate themselves from the local players.

Be friends with the locals, go for dinner, lunch, coffee or even a night out and try their local food and drinks. Food is a great way to bridge cultural differences.

In other words: make an effort!

During my time at Jeonnam Dragons I had some Brazilians who refused to eat local food, which sometimes was frowned upon - at least give it a try.

Some even refused to use chopsticks. I know some locals thought of this as an insult and lack of respect.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:04 pm

Hah, thanks for that.

The comment about learning the players' names definitely applied to Porterfield...

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:33 am

Not sure if former Hyundai Horang-i forward George Alhassan liked kimchi or not but he definitely didn't like samgyeopsal...

I couldn’t play in Korea due to pork meat- Ex-Ghana top scorer
George Alhassan has revealed why he couldn’t have a successful career in Korea.
03-08-2017

Two times Ghana top scorer has disclosed that his inability to play football for longer seasons in the Korean league was due to pork meat.
Alhassan, 62 is one of the finest target men Ghana has ever produced. He won the Ghanaian topflight league’s top scorer for two seasons while playing for Gt. Olympics and also emerged as the top scorer of the 1982 African Cup of Nations.

George Alhassan, however spent just a season in the Korean league and failed to make an impact.
The former Black Stars striker has revealed that he struggled to excel in the Asian country because he didn’t like their food and also, he was home sick.

“I didn’t like their food. The major delicacy was pork meat and I don’t eat so I couldn’t cope. That was why I spent just a season in the league," he told Happy FM.
“Also, they had a very tight league schedule which made it difficult. It was very difficult for you to go home. We were always travelling from one place to the other.
"I was also supposed to go to the place with Kofi Abbrey, but because Eleven Wise then managed by Ackah Blah Miezah didn't permit him to leave, so I felt lonely in Korea."

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:35 am

Niall McGinn is doing it all wrong...

“I’m getting used to the culture. When I first arrived the team used to eat together at the training centre, breakfast, lunch and dinner, but things have changed since the new coach came in and we don’t have to do that all the time,” explained McGinn, who lives in an apartment close to the impressive training facilities.

“I have tried Korean food, but I mostly eat the food I would have eaten at home.

“What’s been really good is they cook my food which is different to what the rest of the players eat.

“They have also brought in an English interpreter which is useful and there is a Brazilian coach who speaks some English. Most of the Korean lads don’t really know English, but they do try with me which is really nice. It can be funny as well."

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:12 pm

Like Ian Rush, he's not going to last long if he takes this "it's like living in a foreign land" attitude.

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2008/04/ia ... italy.html

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:11 pm

Ali Abbas saw things "no footballer should see" during his recent spell at Pohang Steelers, not sure if he's referring to kimchi on pizza or chocolate-covered French fries but he's certainly unhappy about something though it's not necessarily food related...

At a time the 31-year-old deserved to be enjoying the fruits of his labour - years of hard work and success in the face of adversity - he had to call upon all of those life lessons to get through dastardly treatment in his short lived K-League career.

Now, back in the A-League with Wellington Phoenix, Abbas is just looking forward to leaving “everything behind and to start from the beginning”.

“The things that I saw at my previous club, no footballer should see,” he told foxsports.com.au about his experiences at Pohang Steelers, where he fell victim of coach Choi Jin-cheul’s departure.

His replacement, Choi Soon-ho, was not interested in Abbas, and from there, the midfielder was subjected to deception, tricks and a nasty plot to try break his resolve after they tried to end his contract at the end of the season, giving him a three month pay-out, when his deal still had a season to run.

“The staff wasn’t respectful to their players” he explained. “The way they treated me wasn’t great and I didn’t like it.

“One month they went to Thailand and left me in Korea by myself.

“If you don’t want a player, pay them (so) they can go.

“You can’t do stupid stuff to try and make them go.

“I was really disappointed but there is nothing you can do.”

He continued: “The way they treated me was very bad and never should any player go through this period of time.

“But I was mentally tough, they did a lot of things to break me and at the end of the day I came out on top.”

Abbas resolved to train every day by himself, but decided to record everything he did as “evidence of what they were doing to their players”, having heard stories of things clubs had done to try and break their players’ resolve.

Not only was he excluded, or made to do excessive running on his own, but some of the tricks included not being advised when training times were changed – so that it looked like he was deliberately missing, or running late, for sessions.

“The last two weeks I was there I had training in the afternoon but (the club) changed it to morning, and no one told me.

“So when I got back they told me I should have asked and I said ‘how am I supposed to know that I must ask’?

“Anyway, they fined me $US 20,000 because I did not attend training due to the fact they didn’t tell me when training was.

“It was all a stitch up to make me do something stupid so they could use it against me.

“And at the end of the day I felt ‘enough is enough’.

“I was treated really bad, which is really disappointing, but I have to leave everything behind me and start from zero.”

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:26 am

Erik Paartalu has entered the "who endured the worst stint at a K-League club" competition with quite a tale of his own...

In fact, Paartalu describes his time in South Korea as “eight months of hell”, where “I got f****d over by the best club in Asia”.

After snaring a promising move to Jeonbuk Motors in South Korea in February 2016, Paartalu got a cold firsthand view of the pitfalls that can be suffered in Asian football.

He fell out of favour three months later, was “just left in the dark and cold” and got to the point where his partner came to trainings to start filming what his coach was making him do as he became frozen out from what was meant to be a dream step-up to one of the powerhouses in Asia.

“I’ve tried to move on, but it’s so personal,” he explained to foxsports.com.au.

“Unfortunately it was the best contract I’d ever been offered. I’d signed for four years at Melbourne City: it was a good challenge, I was enjoying it, it’s a fantastic club.

“But (along came) the best club in Asia, they’d won the ACL: I wanted to be a part of that.

“The South Korean coach lost interest in me and decided six weeks before the transfer window opened - but he didn’t even tell me. It just goes down the pecking order: coach doesn’t want you anymore, you’re going to be training alone.”

That’s when things started to get weird.

Fellow A-League graduate Ali Abbas detailed his experience of K-League club Pohang Steelers trying to “break” him; Paartalu had to be similarly defiant and resilient – particularly when the club started to tinker with training times to thrown him off, without telling him.

Paartalu recalls arriving early for a 9 or 9.30am training kick-off, waiting around, then, when finally giving up over an hour later, a coach would come out and tell him he’d have to do a brutal session on his own instead.

It usually involved running, unrealistic time frames for damaging periods of time, and all in heat in excess of 35 degrees.

“I took the piss, the first time: I was trying to push the buttons. We then met a happy medium and I had to do shuttle runs. They were lung busters.

“In the afternoon, the boys would be training.

“Some days I got to go with the second team, but (there were times), halfway through, the team manager would say the coach doesn’t want you anywhere near, go train near the gym, or other days it would be train inside.

“I had five months turning up twice a day - just to earn my paycheque.”

Paartalu explains that he enlisted FIFA, and got lawyers to send letters to the club weekly, particularly when the club also tried to pressure him to leave during the transfer window, and punished him with further exiled sessions when he stood his ground.

All he wanted to do was play, or at least train; to do his job.

But every time he thought they’d let him train, he was merely left on the outside of the session running alone.

When the FIFA letters came to a head, one of the coaches hauled Paartalu in.

“He sat me down and said: you kick people, you’re racist, you miss training.

“I started laughing.

“I said mate ‘you know that’s a made up lie’. I couldn’t believe what was coming out of their mouths.”

That’s when he got his wife to film what was going on as proof, on a stifling day, when he was being put through another torturous running session.

“I decided enough is enough,” he recalls.

“I got the Mrs to message the manger to say Erik has fainted on the side of the road and we need to go to hospital. I was feeling light headed, was dehydrated, they put me on an IV drip.

“The club said take a few days off and come back when you’re feeling better.

“He was like ‘is this guy going to give up’ - so it suited the coach (to get rid of me for a few days).

“The Korean boys were pushing me to keep going. They kept saying you’ll get your money.”

In the end, they offered him a payout of less than half the amount of time he had left on his deal, but the alternative – the prospect of slogging it out in the winter in Korea, was not something Paartalu could comprehend.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:22 am

Ack, legendary Mipo manager Choi Soon-ho was allegedly behind the Pohang nonsense? Certainly tarnishes his reputation in my books, if true.

Seems especially petty behaviour for a mega-bucks club like Jeonbuk. Just buy the poor guy out of his contract. Is it worth the reputational risk to the club of foreign players becoming leery? Ditto for the K-League in general.

Return to “K League”