National League - Suwon City

Got a question? Find the answer or ask it in here!
sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

National League - Suwon City

Postby sjc_three » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:19 pm

Thought I'd open a thread in the hope that someone might know how to get to Suwon City's ground. Am heading there this Saturday. Fairly sure this is the details for anyone that can speak Korean: http://www.n-league.net/2008/team/sw_map.html

Was just going to print it out and hand it to a cab driver, but always like trying out a bit of public transport if possible, so if anyone's got any pointers, then that would be great.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Re: National League - Suwon City

Postby eujin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:28 pm

They usually play in the main stadium in Suwon don't they? (not the World Cup stadium mind). It's...erm...north of the fortress. There's a red bus from Suwon Station with destination Sadang that goes right past it. But there's bound to be loads of other city buses (green and blue) going that way too.

Will you have the full entourage in tow? I'm pretty sure you can see it from the northern part of the fortress and it's probably a fifteen minute walk from there. Buses in Suwon are a nightmare, especially round the station and especially if you don't read Korean.

This is what the taxi driver needs to see: 수원종합운동장 This is how to say it: Su-won jong-hab un-dong-jang.
Last edited by eujin on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:58 pm

That sounds spot on. Yes, full entourage in tow, but the girls are going shopping, so will have lunch near the fortress and then head to the stadium with the boy. Sorted. Thanks mate.

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:16 pm

The game is definitely at the usual venue (수원 종합운동장) according the the N-League and KFA web sites, 3pm kick off.

It's a well known landmark and all taxi drivers know where it is, from the fortress it should only take you about 5-10 minutes at most by taxi and cost the minumum fare, likewise from the railway station.

I'm considering heading down myself as Bucheon v Seoul Utd doesn't kick off till the evening.

If you're at the fortress earlier in the day try the archery! We had a crack on a school trip a couple of weeks ago and it went down well with the kids, though think there's a minimum age (maybe 6 or 8 Korean age) so don't know if yours are old enough or not. It's sanitised child-friendly stuff, but most of the teachers enjoyed it too. There's also a little 'train' (it doesn't run on rails but it's long with carriages!) that runs from halfway up the hill near the high point of the city walls alongside the walls to the archery place near the fortress. Recommended for kids of all ages.

If you need more precise info on anything post here or PM me. There's also a tourist info centre next to the main train station (in a pagoda style building) if you need help on the day. They normally have English-speaking staff, and they also run buses from there to the folk village I think.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:35 pm

Thanks for the info. Nippers are too young for archery, but that sounds like fun anyway and the boy will love the train. Useful to know about the folk village bus too, as we're going to check that out on Sunday.

If you do decide to drop down and fancy hooking up for a beer, gimme a bell. I'll pm you my number.

mustoe02
National League champion
National League champion

Postby mustoe02 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:50 pm

Hooray for Suwon!

There's a tourist info centre next to the station (you need to go outside to get to it, turn left when you're looking at the big main road). From there you can catch the free shuttle bus which leaves at either 12:00 or 12:30 (I forget). Failing that, the number 36 bus from the same side of the road goes there and is the last stop so you can't miss it. The bus journey takes between 20 and 30 minutes depending on traffic. You can catch the free shuttle bus back again- they'll tell you the times.

Just a note. The couple of times I've been to see Suwon City play there has been no clue that a match was on (not that that is really much news in the lower leagues), so you may need to hop barriers to get in.

nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Postby nzfooty » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:51 pm

Interesting that it was the Suwon Civil Stadium (where Suwon City pay) and not the Big Bird Stadium (where Bluewings play and where 2002 WC matches were played) that was used for the 2007 u17 World Cup.

Same deal in Ulsan.

Wiki link to an article about the Suwon Civil Stadium.

Link to the World Stadiums page.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:54 am

It's been about 18 months since I was last at that stadium so things might have changed, but you can also play 'Spot The Bluewings Stuff' at the stadium with signs and whatnot relating to the K-League club still to be found on walls and pillars around the ground.

Again not sure if it's still being used or not, but there's also a remote control car racing track to the rear of the venue which the kids may find more entertaining:

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:06 am

My floodlight fetish never fails to be satisfied by looking at images of that stadium. Can't understand how other men get their kicks from looking at pictures of buses. :smt102

mustoe02
National League champion
National League champion

Postby mustoe02 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:45 pm

My floodlight fetish never fails to be satisfied by looking at images of that stadium.

You've mentioned this about this stadium before...

It's a good point though- how did they paint them? Did someone paint them when they were on their side (quite a skill), or did some one in a crane show an amazing ability with persepctive and paint them when they were up? What if you dropped your brush?

The answer is probably simpler and less intersting (and Euijin will likely enjoy revelling in my stupidity), but I hope not.

Gerd Bibimbapper
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Gerd Bibimbapper » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:02 pm

My floodlight fetish never fails to be satisfied by looking at images of that stadium.

It sounds terminal... :smt107
Photo: Suwon City 3 Incheon Korail 1, Tue 02 Oct 2007 (7pm)
This is where I first saw the 'Graffiti Express' (Korail's Team Bus) but you won't want to go down that road...

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:25 pm

mustoe02 wrote:so you may need to hop barriers to get in.

That's never presented much of a problem in the past. ;-)

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:16 pm

Cyclops wrote:My floodlight fetish never fails to be satisfied by looking at images of that stadium. Can't understand how other men get their kicks from looking at pictures of buses. :smt102

Absolutely agree. They are just superb and that photo captures them brilliantly!

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:07 pm

This talk of Bulgarian floodlights is making me horny all over again.

how did they paint them? Did someone paint them when they were on their side (quite a skill), or did some one in a crane show an amazing ability with persepctive and paint them when they were up? What if you dropped your brush?

I've no idea how they paint them, but I'm pretty sure that when I first saw the stadium a few years ago they didn't have the current design on the "pylons" (I know that's the wrong word but I can't think what else to call them!). I seem to remember something far less artistic and more basic, although I can't be more specific. It seems inconceivable that they could have taken them down and put them back up for repainting, therefore I have to assume that either some kind of trapeze-like contraption or a very tall person was involved.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:18 pm

Simple. Stilts.

Return to “Travel & club guides”