K League - Pohang Steelers - Steelyard

Got a question? Find the answer or ask it in here!
anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: K League - Pohang Steelers - Steelyard

Postby anamerican » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:47 am

mustoe02 wrote:
It's had a bit of a paintjob and there's a new scoreboard in the away section.

Not the first time I've thought this about a Korean football stadium: who chose those colours?

:) Third grader :smt102
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

zippityzack
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby zippityzack » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:30 pm

mustoe02 wrote:
It's had a bit of a paintjob and there's a new scoreboard in the away section.

Not the first time I've thought this about a Korean football stadium: who chose those colours?

I know, it's not as if the Steelers share the Steelyard with another squad. The underside of the roof is painted the colors of the rainbow as well.

Alternating black/red would have been the coolest/most intimidating paint scheme on any stadium anywhere.

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:38 pm

They've installed a new dugout at the Steelyard too, seemingly the first "European-style" one in Korea:

Got to spend that ACL prize money somehow.

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:56 am

As part of a road safety campaign in Korea I suggest they put seatbelts on all of them and make the players wear them. Although most will probably tuck them down the side of the seat so they look better and you can't find them.
Anyang Fo' Life

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:39 am

njs wrote:As part of a road safety campaign in Korea I suggest they put seatbelts on all of them and make the players wear them. Although most will probably tuck them down the side of the seat so they look better and you can't find them.

:smt082

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:57 am

Could those seats be any closer together? Talk about "team bonding"... Image

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Fri May 18, 2012 8:25 am

I visited Pohang SteelYard Chuseok 2011. My initial impression was that it's fantastic....there wasn't a match there. The lawn mowing dude didn't like me and my son wondering around.

I returned to watch a well attended Sunday afternoon match. April 2012. I moved around a bit during the game. As I sat, fans at the second deck railing and fans moving about and also the angle made seeing action sometimes very difficult. I have come to the conclusion to see and enjoy the game you really have to pick your seat very very carefully. As much as 1/5 or more of the pitch may not be viewable if you choose the wrong seats. I would consider sitting in a corner if you really want to see everything. Due to this difficulty, I have a sour feeling about the place.

Pick your seat very carefully. I hope you like the place more than I did.
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:09 pm

I recommend pohang's "galaxy hotel" for after the game. Awesome price currently. Big PLUS.
9000won per person breakfast is optional. Make sure to clearly state you're desire for the breakfast when paying for the room or it won't be offered. It's a clean hotel that doesn't give you the dirty love nest feeling. Great! Coffee Shop on the first floor is a huge plus, too. It's becoming quite popular, so you definitely want to make a reservation. I almost forgot... It's right on the beach too.

I've stayed there on three occasions. I love the place. 
Don't want to go home after a game or a vacation at 해운대 too expensive? Consider coming here.
AnAmerican

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:41 am

I stayed in Pohang one summer vacation at Bukbu beach...to put it nicely the beach was a shitpit. Smoke stacks belching out smoke into the air at the end of the beach and who knows what into the water of the biggest beach of the city. The stadium is great but if you are looking to chill out somewhere nice I would give Pohang a wide berth. It isnt known as an industrial city for nothing....I suppose some of the cost of that is pillution.

I dont rate Haendae eithrr but I am from Australia..most beaches except a few on Jeju dont stand much of a chance in comparison to Aussie.

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:32 am

I'm not sure if the water is polluted. I agree it probably is. I can also guess some 해운대 water is dirty too. The sewers dump somewhere.

I drove up the coast from pohang and there were some nice white sand beaches.

I remember how secluded it was. Sure there were people and vehicles, but nothing major. It took maybe 3+hours to go from the coast to 안동시.
AnAmerican

jamesedrupt
National League champion
National League champion

Postby jamesedrupt » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:39 pm

Love the stadium. One of the best i've been too in Korea. You're really close to the pitch which I love. If anyone has been to Loftus Road (QPR) ground, it's very very similar.

But the FA Cup last minute defeat in the final still hurts. So, although it's a superb ground, it holds bad memories for me. :cry:

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Definitely one of the best grounds in Korea, but the location is obscure. Funny to usually see hundreds of soldiers in uniform at the games.

Drunk off my tits, I came close to chucking a plastic bottle on the pitch toward the ref at this one, but luckily thought better of it.

Return to “Travel & club guides”