K League - Busan I'Park - Busan Asiad Stadium

Got a question? Find the answer or ask it in here!
eujin
K-League Classic champion

K League - Busan I'Park - Busan Asiad Stadium

Postby eujin » Wed May 13, 2009 12:43 am

Busan I'Park

City: Busan
Stadium: Busan Asiad Stadium/Gudeok Stadium
Capacity: 53,864/24,363
Formed: 1983
Division: K-League
Honours: K-League Champions, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1997; KFA Cup Winners 2004; Adidas Cup Winners 1999, 2000, 2001; League Cup Winners 1997, 1998

How To Get There

The Asiad Stadium is about 10 minutes walk from either Sports Complex or Sajik on line three of the Busan Subway and is part of a large sports complex that also contains the basketball stadium (Busan KTF Magic Wings) and the baseball stadium (Lotte Giants). Arriving by train from Seoul, Daejeon or Daegu it is probably easiest to get off at Gupo station and take line three from there.

Gudeok Stadium lies at the foot of Gudeok hill and is a short taxi ride or 25 minute walk from Busan main railway station. It is also about 500 metres from either Seodaeshindong or Dongdaeshindong, both on Line 1 of the Busan Subway.

Tickets

Tickets are available outside both stadiums and cost 8,000 won for adults (Asiad, 2009). At Asiad a temporary uncovered stand has been erected on the East side of the pitch and temporary terraces on the North side, although it is also possible to sit anywhere in the main covered part of the stadium. The home fans stand on the terraces behind the North goal.

At Gudeok the south side is covered, but there is access to all parts of the stadium. The home fans gather at the West side.

Nearby

There are lots of restaurants, bars and internet cafes in Sajik, which is just across the road from the baseball stadium. There's even one of those overpriced pizza places.
Last edited by eujin on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:04 am, edited 6 times in total.

eujin

Re: K League - Busan I'Park - Busan Asiad Stadium

Postby eujin » Wed May 13, 2009 1:29 am

This is partly for the benefit of sjc_three, but I've been meaning to do it for a while. Both stadiums are mentioned, despite the thread title, same as with Seongnam. Some people know a lot more about Busan I'Park than I do. Hopefully they'll add something to this thread.

If you go to the Sports Complex metro station the walls are covered with photos and stats from the Magic Wings and Giants, but there is nothing about the football team.

mr methane
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby mr methane » Sat May 16, 2009 12:38 pm

If you're driving to the Asiad, home plus next door is your best bet for parking. Although bear in mind that surprisingly many others, given the attendances they get, seem to have the same idea, so don't arrive too close to kick-off. Or perhaps home plus is a more exciting prospect than watching I-Park :?: :smt082

Haven't been to the Asiad since the season before last, btw, so apologies if the above has changed.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Sun May 17, 2009 12:17 am

Many thanks. The Busan Asiad does look extraordinary with that funny little temporary stand stuck up next to the pitch! I look forward to seeing it myself in a few months time.

Why do they use two stadiums though? The Gudeok looks more than adequate for their needs. It must cost a small fortune leasing that huge World Cup venue.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon May 18, 2009 2:29 am

Gudeok is located closer to the "downtown", but it's old and falling apart. Asiad is in Sajik-dong, which is kind of in the middle of nowhere (it's populated, but primarily residential, other than a bit of a strip in central Sajik).

The club were pretty much pressured by the political authorities to play in the Asiad World Cup stadium, otherwise it would have no tenants and would be even more of a white elephant.

The introduction of a third subway line a few years ago, with a stop at the sports complex, definitely helps getting there. I used to have to take the subway to "Busan Nat'l. Univ. of Education" on Line 1 (orange), and then take a bus to Sajik-dong. I actually then discovered a bus that took me virtually door-to-door from my apartment to the stadium, but it only ran once an hour and wasn't reliable.

Funny that the new station is kitted out in basketball and baseball stuff. Back in 2003/04, the basketball team was playing in some really obscure complex if I remember correctly, near the northern tip of one of the subway lines.

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon May 18, 2009 1:36 pm

Koreans love building things that they then don't use. There's money in it for local politicians and construction companies. Airports, roads, ski resorts, stadiums, museums, exhibition centres, hotels...

This just appeared on the BBC;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8052742.stm

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Mon May 18, 2009 5:11 pm

Airport story is incredible. $400m down the tube. Terrifying.

Yes, I saw there was skiing in Korea, which initially I was pretty excited about as I thought it might be a chance to get some skiing in relatively cheaply. However, from what I've been able to establish on the internet, they seem hideously expensive, at least on a par with Europe's top resorts, and considerably more expensive than the likes of Bulgaria.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Mon May 18, 2009 6:39 pm

Can see temporary stands here from last year's match between Busan and Jeonbuk.
Looks weird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxKUWwgHD8k

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon May 18, 2009 8:27 pm

I think the temp stands are pretty good and it works really well. The one behind the goal is actually terracing, there are no seats. Not many places in Korea have terracing (but Sagan Tosu in Japan do).

Bumper crowd at that Jeonbuk game, much more than the recent one (2009 K-League). Jeonbuk a much bigger draw when it's the first game of the season than when they're top of the league.

Gerd Bibimbapper
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Gerd Bibimbapper » Thu May 28, 2009 2:35 pm

Yes, I saw there was skiing in Korea, which initially I was pretty excited about as I thought it might be a chance to get some skiing in relatively cheaply. However, from what I've been able to establish on the internet, they seem hideously expensive, at least on a par with Europe's top resorts, and considerably more expensive than the likes of Bulgaria.

Go to Japan to ski - it's incredible (both alpine and cross-country) and considerably less expensive than flying to the likes of Bulgaria. ;-)
The slopes are refreshingly (surprisingly?) uncluttered with people too - at least that's been the case every time I've been (various points around Nagano Prefecture).

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:55 pm

eujin wrote:Gudeok Stadium lies at the foot of Gudeok hill and is a short taxi ride or 25 minute walk from Busan main railway station.

Planning on going Wednesday. Can anyone confirm, is the Busan main railway station the same metro stop labelled "Busan Station" on line 1 of the metro map: http://www.urbanrail.net/as/busa/busan.htm ?
Thanks.

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:42 am

Busan Station is the main railway station. But if you're going by metro on Line 1 you might be better off getting off at somewhere like Dongdaeshindong (Dongdaesin on your little map). You could pretty much walk from there. I wasn't thinking of people living in Busan when I wrote it, which was dumb because I wrote it partly for your benefit. I'll update it for you.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:04 am

Sweet. Thanks for that, Dennis. My fondest regards to Gnasher. I trust he is keeping Foo Foo on her toes.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:01 am

Just stumbled across an English-language highlight of several Sajik restaurants near the footie/baseball complex (in PDF format): "Nourishment before or after the big baseball game".

The easiest way of pinpointing the exact location of these restaurants is to copy the phone number, and paste it into Daum Maps. Bob's yer uncle.

willamangiro
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi

Postby willamangiro » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:08 pm

My guide & photos from the Asiad Stadium can be found here....

http://kleaguetour.weebly.com/busan-v-gangwon.html
http://www.kleaguefootball.com ; The unofficial English language home of Korean K-League football. Articles, News and Podcast. Follow on twitter or facebook at http://www.twitter.com/kleaguefootball or http://www.facebook.com/kleaguefootball

Return to “Travel & club guides”