K League - Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma - Tancheon Stadium

Got a question? Find the answer or ask it in here!
anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: K League - Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma - Tancheon Stadium

Postby anamerican » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:38 am

I saw about 5 foreigners at the gate to Tancheon for the game against Gyeongnam. One of the foreigners was wearing a Seongnam scarf, so I assumed I didn't need to assist them in anyway. I had never seen them before. I don't know where they sat. I have yet to see any other foreigners in W2. That doesn't mean their aren't any. Just I haven't seen them.
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gerd Bibimbapper
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Gerd Bibimbapper » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:22 pm

I saw about 5 foreigners at the gate to Tancheon for the game against Gyeongnam.

Scouts?
:albino:

kingkenny7
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby kingkenny7 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:11 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajOhirznsHw

I made this intro vid by myself for oversea away fans. lol
a Seongnam FC Fan living in Down Under.

kingkenny7
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby kingkenny7 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:13 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajOhirznsHw

I made this intro vid by myself for oversea away fans. lol

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sun May 02, 2010 5:08 am

Good idea!

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Sun May 02, 2010 12:08 pm

Went to the AFL Champions League game v Melbourne on Wednesday.

Asked for tickets for the East Stand (9,000 won), but when we tried to get in we were told we had been sold tickets for the South Stand (also 9,000 won) because that's where the Melbourne fans have to go (I've never been to Melbourne but anyway...). After arguing briefly we decided we didn't want to miss kick off so walked down the street until we found the entrance to the South Stand. And me and my friend were the only people in there, miles from the pitch, without another Melbourne fan in sight...

So we walked around towards the East Stand, which was separated from our section by some lego brick barriers and a steward. As we approached we were greeted by a shake of the head and his forearms crossed in the form of the letter "X". I told him in my bestest Korean that we tried to buy tickets for the East but were put in the South, and we want to move. He said we can't because the East tickets are more expensive. I asked him what the difference in price was and he didn't know. So I told him that both stands were 9,000 won, and asked again what the price difference is. This time he started saying "No" in English over and over again while maintaining the "X". I (still calmly) asked why we couldn't move, and he said Melbourne fans have to go here. I said I'm not a Melbourne fan and I can't see any others. More "X"s. I don't like to play the race card, but my patience snapped and I asked him whether his employer has a policy of keeping Koreans and foreigners separated. More "No"s, but I don't know whether they were denials or more of the same from earlier. It was clear that the only way past would be to physically move him out of the way, but we were more interested in watching the game than dabbling with police cells and deportation, so we gave up.

This time we decided to try the West Stand. Much politer and mentally sound steward this time, but we got the same line about the price difference (which was true in this case, it's 13,000 to sit in the bigger West Stand). We explained that we had tried to buy tickets for the East Stand but been forced to go here on account of being foreigners. He offered to take us to the East Stand and sort it out, but we'd had enough of the steward over there and didn't want a sequel. So we asked him how much extra for entry to the West stand. He told us 3,000 won each, so we took out the cash, placed it on his barrier, and walked through. Suddenly he became a doppelganger of steward number one, shouting "No" in English over and over again while making the "X" gesture (must be some kind of moonie thing). I told him that we were happy to to pay the extra money. It's a gift. More "No"s and "X"s. So, I asked, if it's not about the money what's the problem? Same answer. So we pocketed our money, left him to his rantings, and after much searching finally found the secret door that leads to the staircase to the upper tier of the West Stand. Which offered an excellent view of the game.

The craziest part: there were less than 500 people at the game, 2 away fans (who we met after the game), no-one looking for trouble, and yet they felt the need to steward the game as if there were 30,000 blood-thirsty nutters there. My opinion of Seongnam FC is much lower than before my visit, and if they treat all their guests like that it's not in the least surprising that they get such pathetic attendances. :finger

On the plus side, we got our own back after the game by posing as (pissed) journalists and attending the press conference. :smt083

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Sun May 02, 2010 6:42 pm

Yeah, Jesus that's bizarre and in stark contrast to the experience we, as five foreigners, had at the Pohang v Adelaide game a few weeks ago, where we were greeted with thumbs up by the club officials at the entrance (a couple of us had Adelaide shirts) and then left to roam freely around the entire stadium. They were even very good humoured about our pitch invasion at the end.

kingkenny7
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby kingkenny7 » Sun May 02, 2010 9:41 pm

Cyclops wrote:Went to the AFL Champions League game v Melbourne on Wednesday.

Asked for tickets for the East Stand (9,000 won), but when we tried to get in we were told we had been sold tickets for the South Stand (also 9,000 won) because that's where the Melbourne fans have to go (I've never been to Melbourne but anyway...). After arguing briefly we decided we didn't want to miss kick off so walked down the street until we found the entrance to the South Stand. And me and my friend were the only people in there, miles from the pitch, without another Melbourne fan in sight...

So we walked around towards the East Stand, which was separated from our section by some lego brick barriers and a steward. As we approached we were greeted by a shake of the head and his forearms crossed in the form of the letter "X". I told him in my bestest Korean that we tried to buy tickets for the East but were put in the South, and we want to move. He said we can't because the East tickets are more expensive. I asked him what the difference in price was and he didn't know. So I told him that both stands were 9,000 won, and asked again what the price difference is. This time he started saying "No" in English over and over again while maintaining the "X". I (still calmly) asked why we couldn't move, and he said Melbourne fans have to go here. I said I'm not a Melbourne fan and I can't see any others. More "X"s. I don't like to play the race card, but my patience snapped and I asked him whether his employer has a policy of keeping Koreans and foreigners separated. More "No"s, but I don't know whether they were denials or more of the same from earlier. It was clear that the only way past would be to physically move him out of the way, but we were more interested in watching the game than dabbling with police cells and deportation, so we gave up.

This time we decided to try the West Stand. Much politer and mentally sound steward this time, but we got the same line about the price difference (which was true in this case, it's 13,000 to sit in the bigger West Stand). We explained that we had tried to buy tickets for the East Stand but been forced to go here on account of being foreigners. He offered to take us to the East Stand and sort it out, but we'd had enough of the steward over there and didn't want a sequel. So we asked him how much extra for entry to the West stand. He told us 3,000 won each, so we took out the cash, placed it on his barrier, and walked through. Suddenly he became a doppelganger of steward number one, shouting "No" in English over and over again while making the "X" gesture (must be some kind of moonie thing). I told him that we were happy to to pay the extra money. It's a gift. More "No"s and "X"s. So, I asked, if it's not about the money what's the problem? Same answer. So we pocketed our money, left him to his rantings, and after much searching finally found the secret door that leads to the staircase to the upper tier of the West Stand. Which offered an excellent view of the game.

The craziest part: there were less than 500 people at the game, 2 away fans (who we met after the game), no-one looking for trouble, and yet they felt the need to steward the game as if there were 30,000 blood-thirsty nutters there. My opinion of Seongnam FC is much lower than before my visit, and if they treat all their guests like that it's not in the least surprising that they get such pathetic attendances. :finger

On the plus side, we got our own back after the game by posing as (pissed) journalists and attending the press conference. :smt083

I translated it into Korean and uploaded to Official homepage bulletin board. I know, they are PISH!

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sun May 02, 2010 10:13 pm

kingkenny wrote:I translated it into Korean and uploaded to Official homepage bulletin board. I know, they are PISH!

Good work. :-)

Just for future reference how do you translate - "must be some kind of moonie thing" and "30,000 bloodthirsty nutters". :albino:
Bring back King Cha.

kingkenny7
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby kingkenny7 » Sun May 02, 2010 10:45 pm

Rothesay Saint wrote:
kingkenny wrote:I translated it into Korean and uploaded to Official homepage bulletin board. I know, they are PISH!

Good work. :-)

Just for future reference how do you translate - "must be some kind of moonie thing" and "30,000 bloodthirsty nutters". :albino:

I didn't put later one but I translate 'moonie thing' exactly. I'm saccarstic person so it's good.

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Sun May 02, 2010 11:34 pm

That story is crazy. I've NEVER had a problem at any of the games I've gone to.
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gerd Bibimbapper
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Gerd Bibimbapper » Mon May 03, 2010 10:35 am

Cyclops, thanks for your account of the ACL game between Seongnam and Melbourne at Tancheon.
Interesting reading, and it particularly resonated for me since so much of the 'negative' you experienced there matched what I experienced when I watched Seongnam play Urawa Reds in the 2008 competition.
Plus ca change - albeit with a roof now. :albino:

On the subject of sad authority-freaks, when I was at the Melbourne-Kawasaki match a few weeks ago, I decided to wander over to the Kawasaki section and see if I could recognize any of the fans I met at Central Coast in the 2009 competition (which meant going in there and looking).

As I was about to go in, the young buck steward checked my ticket and informed me that I had to go to the Gate printed on the ticket (same price), which happened to be a 'Melbourne' section.
I went outside, exchanged the ticket for the 'Kawasaki' section, went back in via the neighbouring Gate, started taking photos of the banners/flags the Kawasaki fans had tied to the seats, took out the Kawasaki scarf the fans had given me as a present at Central Coast, and looked for my friends (in vain, as it turned out, though I'm sure I recognized a couple of faces from 2009).
Whereupon the young buck steward comes running up, apologizing profusely for refusing me admission earlier, saying that if I'd shown him the scarf, you wouldn't believe the trouble that kicks off if we let opposing fans in the same section etc etc blah blah. (course I wouldn't, I've only been going to football matches for the past 35 years...)
And I thought he'd been politely redirecting this lost soul to his seat all the while. :albino:

Incidentally, when the pissed-up dickhead Melbourne fan spent the entire second half outside the Kawasaki section counter-chanting to bait the Kawasaki fans in the second half, the stewards did absolutely f*ck all about it. :smt102

My biggest problem with this lot is consistency (or lack of).
I was once at a game at Norwich and we were told to sit - but it was too much hassle for them to go down a few rows to the people in from of us who were standing. So we couldn't see. Which is why we stoood up. And there was no-one behind us anyway (just a wall). I went there to see the game.

In writing this post, I meant to concur with some fellow views on the 'Tancheon Experience', but I think I've inadvertently covered my pet hates in the modern-day live football experience at a stroke:
-petty officialdom
-sitting
-stewards (maybe one day I'll understand the reason for them)
!!!

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:32 pm

so how far from yongsan or itaewon. i know there are a few changes on the subway.

thinking of skipping the supporter bus, taking a train to yongsan, eating at itaewon and getting some limes!! then a transfer at Dogok.... any ideas on time?
well well well

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:55 pm

Alex43 wrote:so how far from yongsan or itaewon. i know there are a few changes on the subway.

thinking of skipping the supporter bus, taking a train to yongsan, eating at itaewon and getting some limes!! then a transfer at Dogok.... any ideas on time?

1hour ten mins Itaewon to Yatap.

Or 42 mins on the driverless new Bundang line to pangyo and a short bus/taxi ride to the ground.

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:58 pm

daeguowl wrote:
Alex43 wrote:so how far from yongsan or itaewon. i know there are a few changes on the subway.

1hour ten mins Itaewon to Yatap.

Or 42 mins on the driverless new Bundang line to pangyo and a short bus/taxi ride to the ground.

i thought seoul was suppose to be convenient... 1h40m to seoul, 1h20m from taco bell to soccer.....

:lol:

thanks daegu!!!
well well well

Return to “Travel & club guides”