K League - Chunnam Dragons - Gwangyang Football Stadium

Got a question? Find the answer or ask it in here!
InsaneIslander
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

K League - Chunnam Dragons - Gwangyang Football Stadium

Postby InsaneIslander » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:51 pm

So a group of us weigook Jeju fans are making the trip to Gwangyang for the final match of the season against Chunnam Dragons. I noticed on another thread that someone mentioned that the Gwangyang stadium is difficult to get too.

Can anyone give directions/advice? We are flying in to Gwangju the day before for sightseeing.

Also flights are pretty limited back to Jeju on Sunday evenings so we are looking at a 7pm flight from JINJU... With the match ending by 5pm is it realistic to expect to make it from Gwangyang to Jinju in time for the flight, and how would it be possible? (Train/Taxi/Bus)....

Thanks for the help!
Umaga

eujin
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion

Re: Gwangyang Stadium

Postby eujin » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:42 pm

Almost certainly the train won't get you there. Last train on Sunday is 16.01 from Gwangyang, gets to Jinju at 17.20. The line is very slow.

Bus might be possible but I think it's a squeeze, do you need 30 mins for check-in? I don't know where the airport is. You might be looking at a taxi. Even then, would be a bummer to miss the final minutes of the final game of the (regular) season. Can't you get another flight or take the ferry from Mokpo?

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:51 pm

The nearest bus station is Dong-Gwangyang (East Gwangyang). It's a fairly short taxi ride from the stadium. Gwangyang itself (where the train station and the main Gwangyang bus station are) is a bit further, but if there's a group of you it shouldn't be that much per head by taxi.

Suncheon is the next nearest place. It's quite big and has better transport links. You can get a bus from outside the station to the centre of Gwangyang. I guess it might cost 20 to 30,000 for a taxi between Suncheon and the stadium.

I reckon you might be forced to get a taxi if you want to make that flight from Jinju. There don't seem to be any buses.

kingkenny7
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby kingkenny7 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:04 pm

I dunno when the game is but there are two Airline to Yeosu Airport.
Friday and Sunday.. if you can, then flight to Yeosu then you can get Airport Limousine which head to Gwangyang
a Seongnam FC Fan living in Down Under.

InsaneIslander
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby InsaneIslander » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:24 am

Thanks for the info guys... Originally we had booked tickets out of Yeosu, but in their infinite wisdom Korean Air changed the flight time on Sunday to leave before the match even kicked off. Frankly I am shocked that they didn't check the K-League schedule before doing this as it really inconveniences the huge Jeju United travelling support. :smt082

So the only options are a 7:15 flight from Gwangju or the 7:00 from Jinju. I start work at 8 Monday mornings so the ferry/catching the first flight in the morning from Seoul/Busan won;t cut it...

But it seems distance wise Jinju isn't too far from Gwangyang... We'll probably make a couple of taxi drivers very happy....
Umaga

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:33 am

As you're almost certain to use a taxi from somewhere in Gwangyang to the match, you could try to agree a fare with that driver and arrange a pick up outside the stadium for when the game has finished. If memory serves me correct it's quite hard to find a taxi after the game there.

InsaneIslander
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby InsaneIslander » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:37 pm

Thanks for that... will defo try get the taxis booked in advance... Having said that if Jeju qualify for the play offs on the last day of the season I doubt any of us will be sober enough to be allowed on the plane...
Umaga

Salvatore
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Salvatore » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:12 am

As Cyclops has already pointed out, the best way to go to Gwangyang Stadium by bus and taxi is by going to Donggwangyang terminal, NOT Gwangyang terminal. The confusing thing is that Donggwangyang terminal is also referred to as Jungmadong (중마동) terminal. From there, it will cost around 4000 won by taxi.

Gwangyang Stadium is a nice ground, as it is much smaller and closer to the pitch. Not so sure about the atmosphere though. Only a very small number of home fans, the speaker keeps making attempts to get the crowd to cheer the team before every free kick or corner, but fails. It's so hard to concentrate on the football at K-League grounds, when people just keep walking in and out like in a shopping mall. Of all the people present, just about 20 % seem to be remotely interested in following the action on the pitch. Most people arrive around 20 minutes into the match. Still standing (and blocking your view of both penalty areas, they than finish the phone call they had started after parking their car - if you're lucky. They will then proceed to discuss the order in which their little group of five will be seated, before actually moving as close as possible to the foreigner and sitting down (always allowing exactly 1 empty seat safety zone). People younger than 30 will always wear baseball caps with some American initials, stating their support for the home team and the beautiful sport of 축구 in general. Always say 축구, if you prefer to avoid the term "soccer", as nobody will understand you if you use the word "football". After changing seats for at least three times, usually putting the youngest member of the group in the seat nearest to the foreigner, the members of the group will then remain seated for nearly two minutes, before discussing the menu and their groups catering for the next 90 minutes (or what's left of it) and actively running in and out of the stands providing food and drinks to everybody at 5 minutes intervalls. Don't get me wrong: these people are friendly. They are happy to offer you a piece of dried octopus any time and it is impossible to get angry with them. They are exactly the same Korean people I admire and like so much for their friendliness in daily life, on the streets, when hiking in the countryside. It's just, this is supposed to be a football match and I wish they would all have stayed at home. I long back to the old days when you were on the packed terraces and couldn't even move (not even for a piss) except for half-time.

Sorry, just two more weeks of K-League before I'll leave...

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:16 am

So true, so true...

Gerd Bibimbapper
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Gerd Bibimbapper » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:13 am

Great post, Salvatore, and spot on!
I'll never forget standing on packed terraces in England, except I never, ever used to bother with the bogs (I hesitate to call them 'toilets')!
Last time I was in Korea, I remember everybody launching toilet rolls onto the pitch (which back home carries an entirely different connotation) that had been given out by ground staff at the start of each half at Daejeon - as the second half drew to a close, a group of school kids (who yes, you guessed it, all of a sudden decided to install themselves one seat away from me) started rounding up all the toilet rolls that hadn't reached the pitch that they could find and launching them at each other and various other unfortunates!
I thought about telling them to p*ss off but decided, as I was on holiday and they weren't exactly ruining my enjoyment, to let it go.

On a separate note, I've been surprised at how easy it is to get in the 'press areas' in Korea (it just seems to be a case of 'first come first served' and you sit wherever there's an available seat/desk - am I right?) - I've managed it at a few grounds there (K1 and National League) but wouldn't even think of attempting it in any of the other countries I've watched football in.

InsaneIslander
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby InsaneIslander » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:34 pm

Thanks for all the info guys, it was all really useful! Gwangyang stadium is great, it would probably be my favourite stadium in the K-League if it wasn't for the fences behind the goals...

Took a taxi to Jinju airport, worked out at 40,000... Not bad at all when split between 4 people.

And yeah, if anyone is going to Gwangyang it makes sense to go to Jungmadong and not Gwangyang bus station.
Umaga

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: K League - Chunnam Dragons - Gwangyang Football Stadium

Postby anamerican » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Do we have some pictures of this stadium? Is this one of the teams moving to a new stadium soon?
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:27 pm

I am going to this stadium in about 3 weeks so some good information to know...

Waeguky
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby Waeguky » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Thinking of heading down to watch the evil empire (Seoul), play chunnam. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a deluxe bus straight there from Seoul. Been to yeosu before and know buses head to suncheon but finding it hard to find buses online for the mentioned terminal above, if not I'll hit the terminal in seoul to check. Want to tick this off the one to visit list but may be better in a sat match, above is lots of help just being lazy...

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:01 pm

Waeguky wrote:Thinking of heading down to watch the evil empire (Seoul), play chunnam. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a deluxe bus straight there from Seoul. Been to yeosu before and know buses head to suncheon but finding it hard to find buses online for the mentioned terminal above, if not I'll hit the terminal in seoul to check. Want to tick this off the one to visit list but may be better in a sat match, above is lots of help just being lazy...

had a quick look and there are many buses but NOT from the central gangnam terminal but Dong Seoul terminal out on the subway at gangbyeon. It seems the bus from Dong Seoul goes to both Donggwangyang (first) and then gwangyang bus terminal..

There are a couple buses from nambu bus terminal as well but not too many.

Dong Seoul bus times before 11am (trip takes 4 hours 20 mins): 6:30, 7:30, 8:30, 9:30, 10:30
Nambu bus terminal times (4 hours and 10 mins) : 8:20, 9:40

Coming back: gwangyang bus term first, (dong gwangyang second on the way (same bus)
To Dong Seoul:5:30 (17:50), 6:30 (6:50), 10:10 (10:30)
Nambu there are no buses late in the afternoon.

Return to “Travel & club guides”