K League - Chunnam Dragons - Gwangyang Football Stadium

Got a question? Find the answer or ask it in here!
eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Re: K League - Chunnam Dragons - Gwangyang Football Stadium

Postby eujin » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:11 am

Evergreen wrote:Anyone know what the closest train station to the ground is?

The mugungwha trains from Suncheon to Jinju stop at a place called Okgok 옥곡역, which is probably your best bet for being closest, with the bus 88 or taxi from there to the ground, about 10km away. Otherwise you could haul yourself from Suncheon or Gwangyang Station (which is a long way from the ground) by bus, 11 or 13, or taxi. Naver is telling me that the 88 bus from Okgok runs every two hours and takes the scenic route, so it might require a lot of patience or a bit of planning.

There is a closer station, Taegeum 태금역, which is like a mile away, but I don't think there are scheduled passenger services there. You need to either charter a train, send yourself as a package or steal a loco to get there. Just in case any newbie is reading this, I don't recommend any of those three options.

Evergreen
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Evergreen » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:46 pm

Thanks mate, maybe the bus is the better option?

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:33 pm

Evergreen wrote:Thanks mate, maybe the bus is the better option?

It's great you want to go to GwangYang, but Daejeon is at home Saturday vs Seongnam.

Evidence Gwangyang is so hard to get to you have to plan weeks in advance.
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:49 pm

Evergreen wrote:Thanks mate, maybe the bus is the better option?

Dunno, haven't they started running KTX trains from Daejeon to Suncheon now for the Yeosu thing? So it might be reasonably fast to get to Suncheon, then bus or taxi from there. What's the story with buses from where you are (where are you these days?) to Dong Gwangyang?

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:47 pm

I made it to Gwangyang in my first season in Korea when I didn't speak hardly any of the language, this forum didn't exist, and there were no handy online apps to tell you about public transport options. It's trickier than the other K-League grounds but definitely not rocket science!

Evergreen
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Evergreen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Cyclops wrote:I made it to Gwangyang in my first season in Korea when I didn't speak hardly any of the language, this forum didn't exist, and there were no handy online apps to tell you about public transport options. It's trickier than the other K-League grounds but definitely not rocket science!

Yeah I'm just trying to figure out the cost/value for money ratio. KTX both ways plus beers and taxis is looking at near the 100,000 mark, which is unjustifiable considering we will almost certainly lose.

Maybe I'll just watch it on TV.

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:10 pm

Evergreen wrote:
Cyclops wrote:I made it to Gwangyang in my first season in Korea when I didn't speak hardly any of the language, this forum didn't exist, and there were no handy online apps to tell you about public transport options. It's trickier than the other K-League grounds but definitely not rocket science!

Yeah I'm just trying to figure out the cost/value for money ratio. KTX both ways plus beers and taxis is looking at near the 100,000 mark, which is unjustifiable considering we will almost certainly lose.

Away bus is free.
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:18 pm

anamerican wrote:
Evergreen wrote:

Away bus is free.

But the 8 hour journey back stopping every 15 minutes for a service station break might be even more painful than the dent in your pocket the KTX would make!

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:35 pm

Despite what I said about it being do-able it's definitely more of a mission than other away games. The bus might be a good option, it can't be more than about 4-5 hours tops from Daejeon.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:24 am

Cyclops wrote:Despite what I said about it being do-able it's definitely more of a mission than other away games. The bus might be a good option, it can't be more than about 4-5 hours tops from Daejeon.

Sure; the 8 was supposed to be an exaggeration regarding the irritating multiple stops that those supporters' buses make. :x

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:36 am

sjc_three wrote:
Cyclops wrote:Despite what I said about it being do-able it's definitely more of a mission than other away games. The bus might be a good option, it can't be more than about 4-5 hours tops from Daejeon.

Sure; the 8 was supposed to be an exaggeration regarding the irritating multiple stops that those supporters' buses make. :x

Well, have you taken every teams away bus multiple times? I have as yet never taken the away bus. We can guess it won't be on TV. Who wants to watch Chunnam? GO!! Leave yourself plenty of time!! Take lots of pictures!!
I figure getting a bus/taxi after the game is the most stressful / annoying.

(When I went to 2011 Chunnam : Gyeongnam's match I drove myself)
AnAmerican

Evergreen
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Evergreen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:05 pm

anamerican wrote:
sjc_three wrote:

Well, have you taken every teams away bus multiple times? I have as yet never taken the away bus. We can guess it won't be on TV. Who wants to watch Chunnam? GO!! Leave yourself plenty of time!! Take lots of pictures!!
I figure getting a bus/taxi after the game is the most stressful / annoying.

(When I went to 2011 Chunnam : Gyeongnam's match I drove myself)

Yeah I was considering driving but that means no beer, which at a Daejeon game means zero enjoyment.

I think I'm gonna get the supporters bus. 17,000 round trip including a match ticket is very reasonable IMO.

theglobalgnome
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby theglobalgnome » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:15 am

Cyclops wrote:It's trickier than the other K-League grounds but definitely not rocket science!

I went down today for the Incheon game and it wasn't too bad. KTX from Seoul to Suncheon, then Mugunghwa to Gwangyang. Gwangyang station is pretty isolated, so I walked into town (about 1.5k) and took a taxi out to the stadium, which was about 20 minutes. Same route home. A long day- for a very dull game- but a nice stadium and I'm glad I went.

Also, got to meet Ahn JungHwan who was signing autographs in front of the ground pre-match. Still has lovely hair.

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:16 am

Did you get a bow from Lee Chun-soo?

theglobalgnome

Postby theglobalgnome » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Did you get a bow from Lee Chun-soo?

Haha! No, just a smile, but a very handsome smile.

They made a big deal of Ahn's presence- he went around kicking balls into the stands at half-time- but no mention of Lee, funnily. Not a popular man in Incheon, so not surprised he didn't come round and apologies in the away end.

Return to “Travel & club guides”