K League - Suwon Bluewings - Suwon World Cup Stadium

Got a question? Find the answer or ask it in here!
eujin
K-League Classic champion

K League - Suwon Bluewings - Suwon World Cup Stadium

Postby eujin » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:55 pm

Suwon Bluewings

City: Suwon
Stadium: Suwon World Cup Stadium
Capacity: 43,288
Formed: 1995
Division: K-League
Honours: K-League Champions, 1998, 1999, 2004; KFA Cup Winners 2002, 2009, 2010; Adidas Cup Winners 1999, 2000, 20001; Hauzen Cup Winners 2005, 2008; AFC Champions League Winners 2001, 2002

How To Get There

The stadium is a long way from the Suwon Korail Station. There are several buses from the station to the stadium, come out of the station and turn left, walk past the tourist information. I can't remember the numbers. It takes about 45 minutes depending on the traffic, which is usually quite bad in Suwon. Walking from the station to the stadium takes at least an hour, although one can combine it with a trip to the Hwaseong Fortress which is on the way. The fortress is about 15-20 minutes walk from the stadium and the stadium is visible from parts of the fortress.
There are direct buses from Seoul to the stadium, from Sadang, Gangnam and perhaps other places. Buses 7000, 7001 and 7002 (the red ones) run from Sadang.

Tickets

Tickets are available outside the stadium from the ticket booth which is about 100m northwest of the stadium. Tickets are 10,000 won for the East Stand, possibly the same for the others. The East and West Stands are covered. The home supporters congregate in the North Stand. Suwon have probably the largest home support in Korea.
Last edited by eujin on Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gerd Bibimbapper
National League champion
National League champion

Re: Suwon Bluewings

Postby Gerd Bibimbapper » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:51 am

If you've got a couple of hours to spare and are active:
Get a bus (11, 13, 36, 38, or 39) from outside Suwon Station (just past where the Tourist Office is, on the same side) to Paldalmun. At Paldalmun, turn right through an interesting market down to the fortress, then turn left and walk along the walls as far as the open area that's parallel to where the archery place is. (If you look to the right over across the walls, you can make out the stadium). Turn right to exit the fortress, cross the main road over the walkway, walk down the main road for a short while then take a left. There are lots of tasty (Korean) restaurants around here. Keep walking straight, until you come to a main road. The stadium is on the other side.
There's a small shop by the ticket office that sells beer (Cass Red!), crisps, and excellent filter coffee.
Some of the seats higher up in the stands are so dirty they look as though they haven't seen an a*se since the World Cup, but you shouldn't have a problem finding somewhere to sit.
Since this is a football-only stadium (=no athletics track) the views are terrific.
You can do the forthress walk at night too, it looks great all lit up.

mr methane
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby mr methane » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:00 pm

Like many of the ex-World Cup stadia, Suwon, although way out of town, is really easy if you're driving.

Dong-Suwon (East Suwon) IC on the Yeongdong Expressway (no.50, the Incheon to Gangneung one) is the junction it's near to. I've usually found it takes little time to get on the expressway afterwards, even when there's been a big crowd. Not so much of the match traffic seems to be heading out of Suwon.

Bear in mind that the Yeongdong expressway is often badly congested on the westbound part around Yongin and Everland though.

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:56 pm

Photo

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: K League - Suwon Bluewings - Suwon World Cup Stadium

Postby MipoFanatic » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:47 am

Any idea what the capacity of the north end is? :smt105

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:44 am

On KFA website they actually call this "big bird".

I wanted 2 note: the "new" seats right next 2 the pitch. Did anyone notice those? Some sort of "VIP"? They're just in front of E stand. Would any of you like 2 sit there?

Sampo
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Sampo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:36 pm

mr methane wrote:Like many of the ex-World Cup stadia, Suwon, although way out of town, is really easy if you're driving.

Dong-Suwon (East Suwon) IC on the Yeongdong Expressway (no.50, the Incheon to Gangneung one) is the junction it's near to. I've usually found it takes little time to get on the expressway afterwards, even when there's been a big crowd. Not so much of the match traffic seems to be heading out of Suwon.

Bear in mind that the Yeongdong expressway is often badly congested on the westbound part around Yongin and Everland though.

The stadium is out of town? :shock:

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:42 pm

anamerican wrote:On KFA website they actually call this "big bird".

I wanted 2 note: the "new" seats right next 2 the pitch. Did anyone notice those? Some sort of "VIP"? They're just in front of E stand. Would any of you like 2 sit there?

Yes, the real name of the stadium is Bid Bird. Suwon World Cup stadium is a general name.
VIP seats are in West stand, and they are different.
The seats in front of East stand are called "Blue Seats". And it can be booked from online. 70,000 won for 2 seats.

Sampo wrote:The stadium is out of town? :shock:

No, the stadium is only 2-3 miles away from downtown, City Hall. It is one of the best reachable places in Suwon and one of the best places as well.
Blue is the color!

Sampo
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Sampo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:39 pm

I was simply taking note of methane's comment. I've been there many times, it was actually where I saw my first professional soccer game. :shock:

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:09 pm

I'd second Gerd's suggestion about walking to the stadium via Paldalmun if there's anyone going tomorrow who's not been. Do that almost habitually now before any Suwon game and planning to do it tomorrow before the match, though I prefer to head in the opposite direction and go right up the big hill first. Essentially the long way round compared to the route to the stadium Gerd suggests, but it's a cracking walk and Hwaseong fortress is a fantastic place well worth seeing all of.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:37 pm

I'd go along with that too, especially at this time of year. Hwaseong Fortress is probably my favourite site in Korea.

The Henhouse is a complete dump though. :wink:
Bring back King Cha.

mr methane

Postby mr methane » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:41 pm

Suwonesque wrote:
Sampo wrote:The stadium is out of town? :shock:

No, the stadium is only 2-3 miles away from downtown, City Hall. It is one of the best reachable places in Suwon and one of the best places as well.

What I meant was that the stadium is on the outskirts of Suwon and is a bit of a distance from the city centre, just under 6km to be precise. You wouldn't want to walk there from Suwon station without a good hour or so to spare, nor would you want to be aiming for Suwon city centre if you were driving. And as I said, for drivers, it's very close to the expressway and handily placed for a reasonably quick getaway. It's barely 1500 metres to the Dong-Suwon junction of the Yeongdong Expressway, which skirts the north-eastern edge of Suwon.

I think British folk would've understood my use of "out of town" - we frequently refer to out of town shopping centres and other stuff which is away from the city centre and on the outskirts. But apologies to anyone from elsewhere who thought it meant 'in a different town'. It wasn't supposed to.

At least I think that's what I meant. It was nearly 3 years ago that I wrote it though :smt120

theglobalgnome

Postby theglobalgnome » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:31 pm

I'm playing football late morning/early afternoon in Gwacheon tomorrow and thinking of taking in the Suwon game in the afternoon.

Anybody know roughly how long the bus from Sadang to the Big Bird takes on a Saturday afternoon, please?

mathteacher
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby mathteacher » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:34 pm

I want to say around 40 minutes, I have never had to be back from Seoul fast via that line so I have never watched my watch. Traffic should not be too much of an issue as the bad traffic on that line is getting to Sadang Station coming from Suwon.

willamangiro
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi

Postby willamangiro » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:00 pm

I've just put up a ground guide for the Big Bird here.... http://kleaguetour.weebly.com/suwon-v-gangwon.html
http://www.kleaguefootball.com ; The unofficial English language home of Korean K-League football. Articles, News and Podcast. Follow on twitter or facebook at http://www.twitter.com/kleaguefootball or http://www.facebook.com/kleaguefootball

Return to “Travel & club guides”