New stadia thread (planned, under construction, finished)

Got a question? Find the answer or ask it in here!
njs
National League champion
National League champion

Re: Incheon Utd revealed their New Stadium Plan

Postby njs » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:50 am

If you're talking about protecting the field it doesn't matter much. They put down boards to protect the grass. Biggest rock concert in NZ is at Mt Smart Stadium with 40,000 there on the field for Big Day Out and it also hosts the likes of U2 and other big acts, and it is home to the NZ Warriors league team and used to be home to the Football Kingz soccer side. The field is always immaculate.

If it's a footie specific ground then the stands are closer to the stage as well which makes for a better atmosphere than the sparse, open-ness of an athletics stadium.
Anyang Fo' Life

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:28 pm

njs wrote:If you're talking about protecting the field it doesn't matter much. They put down boards to protect the grass. Biggest rock concert in NZ is at Mt Smart Stadium with 40,000 there on the field for Big Day Out and it also hosts the likes of U2 and other big acts, and it is home to the NZ Warriors league team and used to be home to the Football Kingz soccer side. The field is always immaculate.

If it's a footie specific ground then the stands are closer to the stage as well which makes for a better atmosphere than the sparse, open-ness of an athletics stadium.

Shoot you could put a basketball court on one end and play basketball, like San Antonio used to do

Sadly we know the largest limitation is the stadium management team.
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:21 am

I'm so psyched about this stadium. I'm going to try to get to the first game.

Which cities would realistically build a stadium like this? I can only think of Gwangju or Gangwon doing it.
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

oldsport
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Sung-ui Open Date

Postby oldsport » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:13 pm

A short bit of info for Sung-ui Stadium.

- The stadium is almost finished, and will be completed in coming September, barring any terrible contingencies
- The club, however, is not very eager to start holding matches there for the 2011 season. The reason? The grass needs a few months to settle down, and the club would like to make the opening match a more memorable match than a regular K-League season match.
(source: Sang-min Lee, UTD reporter for IUFC, https://www.incheonutd.com/press/lockerroom_list.asp)

- There are some disputes on the commercial development of the stadium. The original plan was to host a large supermarket(probably a full-scale Homeplus store), but there are objections from the local community. It seems they are looking for an alternative, such as a theater, but no conclusions yet.
(source: some internet rumors)

Too bad that there won't be any matches in 2011, but let's take a deep breath and see what happens. :o
Sing for Incheon, Incheon only!

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: Sung-ui Open Date

Postby anamerican » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:27 pm

oldsport wrote:A short bit of info for Sung-ui Stadium.

- The stadium is almost finished, and will be completed in coming September, barring any terrible contingencies
- The club, however, is not very eager to start holding matches there for the 2011 season. The reason? The grass needs a few months to settle down, and the club would like to make the opening match a more memorable match than a regular K-League season match.
(source: Sang-min Lee, UTD reporter for IUFC, https://www.incheonutd.com/press/lockerroom_list.asp)

- There are some disputes on the commercial development of the stadium. The original plan was to host a large supermarket(probably a full-scale Homeplus store), but there are objections from the local community. It seems they are looking for an alternative, such as a theater, but no conclusions yet.
(source: some internet rumors)

Too bad that there won't be any matches in 2011, but let's take a deep breath and see what happens. :o

You would laugh if you all could see my excitement. The original plan is similar to what EVERY new stadium should be like. The store/theater/whatever generates foot traffic. Those planners in Incheon did it absolutely RIGHT!! Here's hoping they can sell out nearly every game!!! SEPTEMBER 2011!! YES!! YES!! YES!! I'm going to take a trip over there game or not in September.

"regular k league season match" OK, that means they want the FA Cup final there or a playoff game!! They have to finish 4th now!!
AnAmerican

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:16 am

anamerican wrote:"regular k league season match" OK, that means they want the FA Cup final there or a playoff game!! They have to finish 4th now!!

That might in fact be a 'glamour' friendly before the 2012 season kicks off.. I remember their first ever home match as a club was held against a Japanese side (Gamba Osaka or Jubilo Iwata, I think) back in March 2004.

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:21 am

I could understand it if they could coax a top European or South American side over like Barcelona, Bromley, Boca Juniors, etc., but if the best they can manage is a team from across the pond who play in a lower-ranked league then they'd be as well off opening it with a normal domestic fixture.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:59 am

Cyclops wrote:I could understand it if they could coax a top European or South American side over like Barcelona, Bromley, Boca Juniors, etc., but if the best they can manage is a team from across the pond who play in a lower-ranked league then they'd be as well off opening it with a normal domestic fixture.

Glamour side? You're having a laugh. Boca Juniors have been rubbish for ages. :D

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm sure THIS stadium in Incheon will be the best place to watch soccer in the Seoul area, maybe all of Korea. I'll await the "48 Club" review of it. It will be a hidden gem while all those foreigners sit in so so seats in Sangam.

Teams, except stupid Seongnam, will envy Incheon's stadium.
AnAmerican

oldsport
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby oldsport » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:00 pm

anamerican wrote:
You would laugh if you all could see my excitement. The original plan is similar to what EVERY new stadium should be like. The store/theater/whatever generates foot traffic. Those planners in Incheon did it absolutely RIGHT!! Here's hoping they can sell out nearly every game!!! SEPTEMBER 2011!! YES!! YES!! YES!! I'm going to take a trip over there game or not in September.

"regular k league season match" OK, that means they want the FA Cup final there or a playoff game!! They have to finish 4th now!!

Yes indeed, I can hardly wait for it! But still, I can't eliminate the skepticism if everything will be alright and stick to the plan. There's always been something unexpected in virtually everything the club has planned, though that doesn't mean the club has not been improving in many stuffs.

It's going to be the best place to watch live football in Korea. It will be even better than Pohang's Steelyard, in many respects. Hope that leads to some new fans... :)
Sing for Incheon, Incheon only!

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:29 am

Holyjoe wrote:That might in fact be a 'glamour' friendly before the 2012 season kicks off.. I remember their first ever home match as a club was held against a Japanese side (Gamba Osaka or Jubilo Iwata, I think) back in March 2004.

Yup, Gamba Osaka.

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:08 pm

MipoFanatic wrote:
Holyjoe wrote:That might in fact be a 'glamour' friendly before the 2012 season kicks off.. I remember their first ever home match as a club was held against a Japanese side (Gamba Osaka or Jubilo Iwata, I think) back in March 2004.

Yup, Gamba Osaka.

Yep, I went to that game. It was soooooooo cold that most people left at halftime. I think my wife and I managed to stay until about halfway through the second half. Kinda ruined the day a bit because it kept the crowd down and everybody was shivering wondering if they should sod off or not.
Anyang Fo' Life

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:55 pm

I'll have to think twice about going to some game in fridged Feb. I'd much rather a warm September evening!!
AnAmerican

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:15 am

njs wrote:
MipoFanatic wrote:

Yup, Gamba Osaka.

Yep, I went to that game. It was soooooooo cold that most people left at halftime. I think my wife and I managed to stay until about halfway through the second half. Kinda ruined the day a bit because it kept the crowd down and everybody was shivering wondering if they should sod off or not.

Yup, that pretty much sums up the Korea v Japan U23 game at Changwon last season. Probably would've been a decent atmosphere if it had just been a month or so later. As it was, everybody just sat there shivering.

Gerd Bibimbapper
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Gerd Bibimbapper » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:29 am

sjc_three wrote:
njs wrote:
MipoFanatic wrote:

Yup, Gamba Osaka.

Yup, that pretty much sums up the Korea v Japan U23 game at Changwon last season. Probably would've been a decent atmosphere if it had just been a month or so later. As it was, everybody just sat there shivering.

Reminds me of when I went to Munhak for Incheon's season opener (mid-March 2008).
Lovely sunny day, but by half-time my feet were starting to go numb in my seat in the shade, and by full-time it was a race to the subway to get out of the cold air!

PLUS there was a yellow dust warning (which thankfully never materialized, but an old Korean guy gave me a mask!).
Anybody watched a game in Korea and had to contend with yellow dust?
Cheers.

Return to “Travel & club guides”