New stadia thread (planned, under construction, finished)

Got a question? Find the answer or ask it in here!
changwonmatty
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Re: New stadia thread (planned, under construction, finished

Postby changwonmatty » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:58 pm

MipoFanatic wrote:
changwonmatty wrote:
Holyjoe wrote:Daegu seem to have received planning permission for a 12,000 football specific stadium which will be built on the site of the current civil stadium in the city. I think the target is to have it ready for the beginning of the 2018 season..

Thats brilliant...the civil stadium location is in a very central location in Daegu and it is well past its used-by date. If you farted hard enough I reckon you could make it crumble into dust it is getting that dodgy.

Reminds me of the Anyang Stadium. When I visited in 2003, njs gave me a souvenir in the form of some stadium concrete. :smt100

Probably built at the same time during the mass concrete pouring construction boom of the 60s and 70s that produced the almost exact proliferation of concrete bowls across the country..wiki might know the answer

(Goes and checks)
Daegu Civil Stadium 1975 was its current reconstruction.
Anyang 1986 it was constructed.

Basically, if Anyang was falling apart by 2003 (after 17 years) just imagine what shape Daegu stadium is now
Kleague Classic (9) - 서울WC, 수원WC, 인천숭의, 성남탄천, 전주WC, 포항스틸야드, 울산문수, 광주WC,상주종합
Kleague Challenge (9) - 창원축구센터, 창원종합, 마산종합, 진주종합, 양산종합, 대구종합, 함안종합, 부산아시아드, 대전WC
National League (3) - 창원축구센터, 부산구덕, 울산장합

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:41 am

went on the everland line yesterday, and as i looked out of the window out of boredom, there was a stadium under construction.... huge, bold, and in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. looked for plans and it looks like a stadium that would compete with daegu's for the least used stadium in korea. same population as suwon, yet the area is 5 times as big... it's gyeonggi-do farm land..

if anyone wants to save my face from getting a palm in disbelief of this monster in the middle of nowhere, please give me some reasoning in this...

well well well

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:25 pm

They obviously need the stadium for the return of Yongin Citizen to the K3 League.

Either that, or they city has decided that the success of Orlando City SC - being next to Disneyland and pulling in tourists for an afternoon of sports - is something that they'd like to try out themselves.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:54 pm

its absolutely massive!!
well well well

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:42 pm

Whew - for a minute there, I worried it wouldn't include a running track!

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:26 pm

We've talked about this stadium for pages. I'm a little confused you hadn't heard about it.

Alex43 wrote:went on the everland line yesterday, and as i looked out of the window out of boredom, there was a stadium under construction.... huge, bold, and in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. looked for plans and it looks like a stadium that would compete with daegu's for the least used stadium in korea. same population as suwon, yet the area is 5 times as big... it's gyeonggi-do farm land..

if anyone wants to save my face from getting a palm in disbelief of this monster in the middle of nowhere, please give me some reasoning in this...

AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:23 pm

anamerican wrote:We've talked about this stadium for pages. I'm a little confused you hadn't heard about it.

Alex43 wrote:went on the everland line yesterday, and as i looked out of the window out of boredom, there was a stadium under construction.... huge, bold, and in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. looked for plans and it looks like a stadium that would compete with daegu's for the least used stadium in korea. same population as suwon, yet the area is 5 times as big... it's gyeonggi-do farm land..

dont be confused. i ran a search and nothing with yonging came up as far as i could see, so i searched the stadium. just probably over looked it, dont be confused
well well well

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:47 pm

Yeah anamerican's been on top of this story since at least 2010.. absolutely nuts but then great at the same time.

Whilst on plans for future construction, this is what the new football specific venue in Daegu will most probably look like. A proposed capacity of 10-12,000 which is perfect.
Attachments
167172_223169_3010.jpg

changwonmatty
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby changwonmatty » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:10 pm

But just look at all the people!!!!......I noticed none of them are inside the stadium though so at least they got that part right
Kleague Classic (9) - 서울WC, 수원WC, 인천숭의, 성남탄천, 전주WC, 포항스틸야드, 울산문수, 광주WC,상주종합
Kleague Challenge (9) - 창원축구센터, 창원종합, 마산종합, 진주종합, 양산종합, 대구종합, 함안종합, 부산아시아드, 대전WC
National League (3) - 창원축구센터, 부산구덕, 울산장합

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:22 pm

changwonmatty wrote:But just look at all the people!!!!......I noticed none of them are inside the stadium though so at least they got that part right

Funny because it's true.
:lol:

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 am

Holyjoe wrote:...this is what the new football specific venue in Daegu will most probably look like.

Covered seating in Daegu! They'll put Gwangyang and Changwon to shame.

Now if only they could sneak a running track in there...
Last edited by MipoFanatic on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:21 am

I wouldn't really describe it as the middle of nowhere. The stadium is basically right between the downtown of Yongin City and the high-rise, high-density, commuter burbs of Suji and Giheung next to Highway 1. The road that runs past the stadium, the 42, is always busy and there are far more apartment blocks around than farm land. As you say, Yongin has ample room to grow. The rents are far cheaper than in Bundang and yet it's only ~35 mins from Gangnam and about 50 mins from Gwanghwamun. New apartment blocks are going up all the time. The people who own the land in Yongin and particularly the people who own the infrastructure all benefit from expanding the city's services and attracting more people to live there. Exactly like the kind of people that had the Noddyline built.

Things are changing all the time in Korea and you have to have vision to get ahead of the pack. In the same way that the mayor of Incheon dreams of turning the Seoul area into the "Twin Cities Region" the mayor Yongin is competing directly with Suwon. One is down Highway 1 on the right and the other is down Highway 1 on the left. Suwon has a big fancy World Cup stadium that everyone in Korea has heard about, and now Yongin has one too. The Jummarellas are going to play there. It's all about making a impact and marketing the place to get national recognition. As Seoul expands steadily away from the DMZ and towards the rest of the country, Yongin is set to just grow and grow.

And if you question whether sports is an effective way to gain a lot of cheap publicity, just ask yourself which of these parts of London are most familiar to you; Chelsea or Hammersmith, Southwark or Tottenham, Uxbridge or Wembley.
Last edited by eujin on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:42 am

eujin wrote:Uxbridge or Wembley.

Wembley FC is massive!

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:50 am

eujin wrote:And if you question whether sports is an effective way to gain a lot of cheap publicity, just ask yourself which of these parts of London are most familiar to you; Chelsea or Hammersmith, Southwark or Tottenham, Uxbridge or Wembley.

Hammersmith! Chelsea dont do horse shoes worth, urm, money?
Southwark! Fresh fish market. Nothing beat the smell.
Uxbridge! Where I take my uxes to get them to the other side.

Next question?
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:19 pm

Some further images of what the proposed new Daegu stadium will look like... brilliant if it comes off.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1477570668507.jpg
FB_IMG_1477570663991.jpg

Return to “Travel & club guides”