2016 WK-League

Discussion on National League, K3 League and other related competitions.
Gyongmaman
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

2016 WK-League

Postby Gyongmaman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:43 pm

Was wandering near Hyochang Park on Monday morning and saw they had the signs up for the WK-League so went back in the afternoon to watch Seoul City Hall vs Hwacheon KSPO. Dreadful first half but the sun was shining so no matter.

More happened in the second-half. In the first minute, Seoul had a Jamie Vardy-esque backheel disallowed for offside before Hwacheon went straight up the other end and took the lead. Free header from six yards. Seoul scrambled an equaliser about ten minutes later and then added two more - both from punts over the top catching out the Hwacheon defence (such as it was) with a Seoul attacker running on and finishing well (I'd do the names but I wasn't paying that much attention) for a final score of 3-1.

It turns out it is round 3 already. Seven teams this year (Busan Sangmu have become Boeun Sangmu) so one team sits out each round. Games played on Mondays/Thursdays. Kick offs will all be at 7pm except Seoul whose home games in Hyochang will normally be at 4pm. Results so far:

Round 1 (March 14th)
Incheon Hyundai 2-1 Seoul City Hall
Suwon 1-2 Hwacheon KSPO
Boeun Sangmu 0-1 Gumi Sportstoto

Round 2 (March 21st)
Icheon Daekyo 1-0 Boeun Sangmu
Gumi Sportstoto 0-0 Suwon
Hwacheon KSPO 1-1 Incheon Hyundai

Round 3 (March 28th)
Seoul City Hall 3-1 Hwacheon KSPO
Incheon Hyundai 0-0 Gumi Sportstoto
Suwon 0-1 Icheon Daekyo

Round 4 (March 31st) fixtures as follows (all kick off at 7pm):
Boeun Sangmu vs Suwon (보은종합운동장)
Icheon Daekyo vs Incheon Hyundai (이천종합운동장)
Gumi Sportstoto vs Seoul City Hall (구미종합운동장)

Table:
1. Icheon Daekyo P2 6pts (+2)
2. Gumi Sportstoto P3 5pts (+1)
3. Incheon Hyundai P3 5pts (+1)
4. Hwacheon KSPO P3 4pts (-1)
5. Seoul City Hall P2 3pts (+1)
6. Suwon P3 1pt (-2)
7. Boeun Sangmu 0pts (-2)

Random things I noticed: Seoul City Hall have hired the woman who does the in-game announcing/rabble rousing at Samsung Thunders basketball (I'm pretty sure she does kt wiz rounders games too in Suwon). She has a very loud voice and instead of "Half-time" yells "First Half Time Out!". If Seoul concede a corner, it is something called "Deep End Time!". At Thunders games she gets up and dances as well but mercifully stayed seated this time, There were about 75 people there with Seoul having a small "cheering section".

Among those 75 was another foreigner. I thought it might have been someone from on here but he told me he doesn't really follow football and only watches women's sport. So I guess not.

Sampo
National League champion
National League champion

Re: 2016 WK-League

Postby Sampo » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:21 pm

I only made it to one Hwacheon game last season (against Suwon) but the game was a lot more entertaining than a lot of men's games I've seen in Korea. :D

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:54 pm

I was at the Suwon game on Monday.

For 80% of the time Icheon were dominating. not surprising, considering Suwon looked like pigmies against Icheon.

Two of the women in Icheon were giant. The striker that cam on at half time had her shoulders about half a hand higher than the defender who was trying to mark her. It was a bit ridiculous, really. (Mini Me made up for her size by running like crazy and never backing down. She ran into the giant a few times to try and get her off the ball. Funny, and brave as hell.)

I haven't seen any of the other teams yet, but Icheon looks strong, Suwon not so much.
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

Gyongmaman
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby Gyongmaman » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:58 am

Round 4 Results
Boeun Sangmu 0-0 Suwon
Icheon Daekyo 1-4 Incheon Hyundai
Gumi 0-0 Seoul

Round 5 Results
Hwacheon 1-2 Gumi
Seoul 0-2 Icheon Daekyo
Incheon Hyundai 3-0 Boeun Sangmu

Incheon Hyundai are two points clear of Gumi and Icheon Daekyo at the top. They in turn are already five points clear of Seoul who come next.

OttoSilver wrote:I was at the Suwon game on Monday.

For 80% of the time Icheon were dominating. not surprising, considering Suwon looked like pigmies against Icheon.

Two of the women in Icheon were giant. The striker that cam on at half time had her shoulders about half a hand higher than the defender who was trying to mark her. It was a bit ridiculous, really. (Mini Me made up for her size by running like crazy and never backing down. She ran into the giant a few times to try and get her off the ball. Funny, and brave as hell.)

I haven't seen any of the other teams yet, but Icheon looks strong, Suwon not so much.

Went to Hyochang on Monday to see Seoul v Icheon Daekyo and Icheon outplayed Seoul too. Icheon's annoying drummer was there and there was a minion handing out Icheon posters. Cheekily he went over and gave them to the Soeul "cheering section" which numbered about three people this week. I noticed Park Eun Sun plays for Icheon now - she scored the second goal and they also have a tall foreign striker. Seoul did hit the bar but didn't really create much. Not seen Hyundai yet but if they put four past Icheon they must be half decent.

Valeri Sarychev (Shin Eui Son) was sitting on Icheon's bench - seems he is their goalkeeper coach now. Icheon's manager is his old Ilhwa team-mate Park Nam Yeol.

Round 6 isn't until Monday April 18 (all 19:00)
Suwon v Incheon Hyundai (Suwon Civil Stadium)
Boeun Sangmu vs Seoul (Boeun Stadium)
Icheon Daekyo vs Hwacheon (Icheon Civil Stadium)

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:25 pm

Icheon's drummer has nothing on the Suwon Lost Boys.

There are three. Big Mouth beats a drum once ever few minutes, but spends most of the game time politely fighting with a bunch of old men a few rows up. I'll not be surprised if their reason for turning up every game is just to annoy him.

Big Mouth's friend, Dufus, mostly just stands with a loud speaker doing the same chant every 10 minutes or so. Each time he does it he stops at some random point and pretends the speaker cut out. No one is fooled though.

Lastly there is Genius. I call him that because he figured out it s a better idea not to stand anywhere close to Big Mouth. The split happened some time last season. Seems like he had had enough of of Big Mouth always shouting at him and and telling him what to do. Genius is a bit more active with his drum. Funny thing is that half the time he is the trigger for the Big Mouth to start doing the same drum rhythm and chant in an effort to drown out the Genius.

This all goes on WHILE the Icheon's guy does his thing. There is no contest in terms of annoyance/distraction value.

Where is Seoul playing this season? Last season they were playing their come games just short of Busan.
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Gyongmaman
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby Gyongmaman » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:46 pm

OttoSilver wrote:Icheon's drummer has nothing on the Suwon Lost Boys.

There are three. Big Mouth beats a drum once ever few minutes, but spends most of the game time politely fighting with a bunch of old men a few rows up. I'll not be surprised if their reason for turning up every game is just to annoy him.

Big Mouth's friend, Dufus, mostly just stands with a loud speaker doing the same chant every 10 minutes or so. Each time he does it he stops at some random point and pretends the speaker cut out. No one is fooled though.

Lastly there is Genius. I call him that because he figured out it s a better idea not to stand anywhere close to Big Mouth. The split happened some time last season. Seems like he had had enough of of Big Mouth always shouting at him and and telling him what to do. Genius is a bit more active with his drum. Funny thing is that half the time he is the trigger for the Big Mouth to start doing the same drum rhythm and chant in an effort to drown out the Genius.

This all goes on WHILE the Icheon's guy does his thing. There is no contest in terms of annoyance/distraction value.

Where is Seoul playing this season? Last season they were playing their come games just short of Busan.

Seoul are playing at Hyochang Park, right in the middle of Seoul. They played there last season too - I think it was two years ago there were down in Gimcheon or somewhere but they all reverted to having their own home grounds last season and while, on the fixture list I was given by the Icheon minion it said the game was at Jamsil, we were definitely in Hyochang.

I'm not sure why they play at 4pm although Hyochang has a sign up boasting of the stadium being used 360 days each year or something so maybe it's a booking thing (there are often games going on there from 10am to 10pm every day - lots of the University League is being played there this year - still waiting for anamerican's U-League thread, by the way) or it might be that the floodlights are a bit crap.

The Icheon Drummer relies a lot of the time on a lady sitting on the Icheon bench to turn around and tell him the name of the player who has just missed an open goal from 3 yards so that he can chant it and beat his drum. I think he is short-sighted. Either way, he's not in the same class as the Seoul Martyrs Drummer.

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:53 pm

Gyongmaman wrote:The Icheon Drummer relies a lot of the time on a lady sitting on the Icheon bench to turn around and tell him the name of the player who has just missed an open goal from 3 yards so that he can chant it and beat his drum. I think he is short-sighted. Either way, he's not in the same class as the Seoul Martyrs Drummer.

That guy was great. First Martyrs game I saw was against United. He stood there alone, facing the might of about 7 United fans. (Thems big numbers in the K3 "Ultras" world). He had a scarf, shirt, drum and a collection of chants. With a few people behind he could have been great. He could have made the Martyrs contenders. :smt109

Gyongmaman
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby Gyongmaman » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:28 pm

Round 6
Suwon 0-2 Incheon Hyundai
Boeun Sangmu 0-3 Seoul City Hall
Icheon Daekyo 0-0 Hwacheon KSpo

Round 7
Gumi Sportstoto 1-1 Icheon Daekyo
Boeun Sangmu 2-2 Hwacheon KSpo
Seoul City Hall 3-1 Suwon

Round 8
Gumi Sportstoto 3-0 Boeun Sangmu
Seoul City Hall 2-4 Incheon Hyundai
Hwacheon KSpo 1-1 Suwon

The Red Steelwomen of Incheon lead the table with 17 points, four clear of Gumi who went up to 2nd ahead of Icheon Daekyo (according to an FC Seoul fan at the game yesterday, Daekyo sponsor a womens' team in order to appeal to "mothers who are Daekyo's customers...although I don't think many mothers realise that") who sat the most recent round out. I went to Hyochang yesterday and while Incheon were a bit sloppy in the first half, twice taking the lead only to concede equalisers within two minutes each time, they could have scored ten. Can't imagine anybody is going to get close to them this season. Even with those two yesterday included, they have only let in five goals in seven games and have scored sixteen. Boeun Sangmu are winless at the bottom.

Round 9 is Monday May 2nd (All games 7pm)
Incheon Hyundai v Hwacheon KSpo (Incheon Namdong Asiad Rugby Stadium)
Boeun Sangmu v Icheon Daekyo (Boeun Civil Stadium)
Suwon v Gumi Sportstoto (Suwon Civil Stadium)

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:03 pm

Since I started following that league Incheon have been leading the pack with Daekyo doing their best to keep the race going. The rest have bobbed up and down with Sangmu mostly stuck at the bottom. Will this year be the year we see a new league leader and play-off champion. (Finals had to go to penalties last year.)

Sampo
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Sampo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:07 am

Hwacheon seems to be continuing their form from last season; always playing to their opponents' levels...

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:53 pm

Highlights of the playoff final first leg between Icheon Daekyo and Incheon Hyundai Steel Red Angels

Gyongmaman
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby Gyongmaman » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:20 am

Went along to Namdong tonight to watch the second leg. Incheon Hyundai absolutely strolled it, winning 4-0. Beatriz, their Brazilian striker scored a hat-trick with Yoon Young Ah getting the other. Icheon started ok but Hyundai scored two goals in three minutes midway through the first half and it was pretty much all over. Incheon's other foreigner managed to get herself sent off towards the end but it didn't make any difference.

That's four titles in a row for Hyundai. Decent turnout, probably about 1000 including the press-ganged employees of Daekyo who were out in force as usual. Have to say, the pitch looked amazing - maybe Jeonbuk can play the AFC final there.

Return to “Lower league football”