U-league

Discussion on National League, K3 League and other related competitions.
Gambo
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

U-league

Postby Gambo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:23 am

Hi guys!
I am planning to study in a South Korean University next year, and I would really like to combine studies with playing soccer, so I was wondering what is the procedure of joining a University soccer team in South Korea?
Can internationals students apply to enter in South Korean universities and play in the soccer team like the American colleges system?
I am not looking for scholarships, I just want to be able to study in the university and play in the soccer team, with that being said which date is better to start applying for the universities?

Any help will be much appreciated :bounce:

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: U-league

Postby anamerican » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:48 am

I would certainly hope so. If youre a fully qualified student, i would be upset if you couldn't tryout / enter the soccer team or any collegiate sport.

That said, i think you should call the school/ schools you want to enter and speak to them about first entrance requirements and secondly the ability to tryout for the soccer team.

I see some problems. If you cant speak Korean very well, i suspect some lacky will tell you that you cant play on the soccer team. Your soccer team wont have a translator on staff. They might default to "no" because yes seems impossible.

Contact the KFA too. They assist the Uleague and would likely know if your presence on pitch would be a violation of some sort.

My advice in summary is do your homework and dont accept "you cant play on the soccer team" from some clueless soul.
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gambo
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Gambo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:49 pm

anamerican wrote:I would certainly hope so. If youre a fully qualified student, i would be upset if you couldn't tryout / enter the soccer team or any collegiate sport.

That said, i think you should call the school/ schools you want to enter and speak to them about first entrance requirements and secondly the ability to tryout for the soccer team.

I see some problems. If you cant speak Korean very well, i suspect some lacky will tell you that you cant play on the soccer team. Your soccer team wont have a translator on staff. They might default to "no" because yes seems impossible.

Contact the KFA too. They assist the Uleague and would likely know if your presence on pitch would be a violation of some sort.

My advice in summary is do your homework and dont accept "you cant play on the soccer team" from some clueless soul.

Thanks for the reply :D ,I am to going send an email to KFA asking if foreigners are able to play in the U-league
Do you know if the tryouts happen on a specific date or anyone who wants to join the football club can trial for their team anytime?

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:35 pm

A lot of unis in Korea with strong sports teams (including football) approach and sign up the best high school players and they basically spend their entire university years training and playing. They do have trials, but be aware that you would be up against existing squad players (in their 2nd, 3rd or 4th year) and players who have already been scouted and handpicked by the coaches. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you need to be aware what you're up against.

The odds would be a lot more in your favour if you made sure that YOU were one the people the coaches persuaded to come to that uni because they want you on their team. If you're a good player and serious about this then maybe you could contact the coaches of teams directly with a letter translated into Korean and some info about your playing background and perhaps a highlights DVD or something if some of your games have been recorded.

Then if you get any interest from them you can choose your uni based on who wants you in their team, rather than picking a uni first and gambling on them fancying you in an open trial (when they may have already given your position to someone else and just be going through the motions). I guess a lot depends on whether your main priority is study or football...

Good luck with it and let us know if you have any more questions.

Gambo
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Gambo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:03 am

Cyclops wrote:A lot of unis in Korea with strong sports teams (including football) approach and sign up the best high school players and they basically spend their entire university years training and playing. They do have trials, but be aware that you would be up against existing squad players (in their 2nd, 3rd or 4th year) and players who have already been scouted and handpicked by the coaches. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you need to be aware what you're up against.

The odds would be a lot more in your favour if you made sure that YOU were one the people the coaches persuaded to come to that uni because they want you on their team. If you're a good player and serious about this then maybe you could contact the coaches of teams directly with a letter translated into Korean and some info about your playing background and perhaps a highlights DVD or something if some of your games have been recorded.

Then if you get any interest from them you can choose your uni based on who wants you in their team, rather than picking a uni first and gambling on them fancying you in an open trial (when they may have already given your position to someone else and just be going through the motions). I guess a lot depends on whether your main priority is study or football...

Good luck with it and let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks for the tip, I play in a amauter team so have some games filmed, I am going to make a higlight DvD to send to the coaches.
Do you know if the universities normally display their coaches contacts on their websites ? or maybe in the KFA website?
Can international students Transfered from others universities play on the soccer team and play in the U-league?

Gambo
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Gambo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:49 am

Sorry for the double post, but I just got and email from KFA and it is possible for foreigners to play in the U-league, but they need to register in KFA.
Sorry to bother with more questions, does the Korean draft system still exists? and how does it works?

Sampo
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Sampo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:45 am

Gambo wrote:Sorry for the double post, but I just got and email from KFA and it is possible for foreigners to play in the U-league, but they need to register in KFA.
Sorry to bother with more questions, does the Korean draft system still exists? and how does it works?

The draft system is based on the model used in the major American sports, where there is a limited number of teams and talent, and is used (in theory, the NBA method is different) to create some semblance of parity in the league. The team with the worst record for the year has the first choice, the second worst has the second choice and so on.

In Korea... I'm really not sure what it is supposed to do. :smt108 It's complicated and is not a binding contract agreement, until the team and player sign the actual contract. One drafted player this year didn't like his team/contract and ran off to Japan for free.

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:45 pm

The Korean draft is slightly different from the American one in that draft picks are randomly drawn rather than allocated in order of reverse league finish. In theory the league champions could easily have first pick in the opening round if drawn out the hat. Suwon had first pick a few seasons ago, think it was Ha Tae-kyun who was the number one pick in the whole draft which would have been at the end of 2006, just a few weeks after Seongnam cheated their way to a championship final victory over Suwon :smt093

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Holyjoe wrote:The Korean draft is slightly different from the American one in that draft picks are randomly drawn rather than allocated in order of reverse league finish. In theory the league champions could easily have first pick in the opening round if drawn out the hat. Suwon had first pick a few seasons ago, think it was Ha Tae-kyun who was the number one pick in the whole draft which would have been at the end of 2006, just a few weeks after Seongnam cheated their way to a championship final victory over Suwon :smt093

Isn't the Korean draft system changing quite a lot with relegation, two leagues, and match fixing? I'm sure someone posted some draft changes here somewhere.
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:10 am

Yeah I think it will be done away with in the not-too-distant future, with the focus more on youth development through the various U12, U15 and U18 teams the clubs have all had to set up.

Gambo
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Gambo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:22 am

Thanks for the replies, does anyone know where I can find a list of the players drafted on the previous years?

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:55 pm

Gambo wrote:Thanks for the replies, does anyone know where I can find a list of the players drafted on the previous years?

In Korean, every draft and player selection since 1988.

Sampo
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Sampo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:28 pm

Holyjoe wrote:
Gambo wrote:Thanks for the replies, does anyone know where I can find a list of the players drafted on the previous years?

Well, I just found my free time reading. :shock:

Gambo
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Gambo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:04 am

Holyjoe wrote:

Thanks ^.^

I was reading about the 2012 draft but I didint manage to understand all, could anyone help me with this questions?

Here is the Link: http://footballk.net/mediawiki/2012%EB% ... 4%ED%8A%B8

In the first square named 우선지명 - What this list is suppossed to be ?This should be the first indication?

The second square named 드래프트 지명자 is the 2012 draft list right? with the name of players picked by each team

And in the second square there is a list named 번외지명 - is this any sort of special nomination? what are the diffenrece for the players that sign contract by this nomination?

And are usually 100 players or more nominated to the draft?
How are this playes choosen to enter in the draft?

Thanks ^.^

Gambo
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Gambo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:18 am

Does anyone know with colleges/ universities in South Korea allow the players to play in more than 1 sport?

If I have played professionally can I still play in South Korea university league?

Return to “Lower league football”