2011 National League thread (pre-summer break)

Discussion on National League, K3 League and other related competitions.
sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Re: 2011 National League thread

Postby sjc_three » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:04 pm

Been in Mokpo for about a day now. Really nice little town. There's a big strip down by the water with loads of bars and restaurants which is very cool. The town centre is nice too. Not too many tall buildings, reasonably well laid out. It's not a nice feel about the place. Nowhere near as hectic as Gwangju was. Catching the game later tonight.

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:06 pm

Early results from today complete with attendances:

Chungju Hummel 1-1 Changwon (600)
Yongin 1-0 Incheon Korail (50)
Daejeon HNP 1-1 Gangneung (60)
Suwon City 2-0 Gimhae (234)

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:38 pm

Absolutely in love with Mokpo. The city is fucking great and just had a brilliant evening at the football. Beautiful little stadium, unique. A few hundred there, all entirely invested in proceedings. With better marketing, I'm sure they could make it a decently supported team in the city. Got picked up by some of the locals fairly early on and the beers flowed readily throughout. One of them gave me a lift back to town at the end too. Which was a relief cos the ground's in the middle bloody nowhere.

Had a very amusing moment in the 2nd half when what must have been one of the WAGs turned up with 2 daughters. All of them were dressed in Burberry, which I found amusing enough, until one of them pulled out a big Burberry rug for them all to sit on. I got the proper giggles. Couldn't keep it together at all, which I couldn't quite get across to the guys with me due to the language barrier. I think they thought I'd completely lost the plot at that point.

Oh, Mokpo lost 2-0, all in the first 25 minutes, when they were fucking awful, although in fairness to KB, the 2nd goal was a beautiful volley from 25 yards. After that Goyang sat back and let Mokpo waste a hatful of chances.

Results:
Mokpo City 0 - 2 Goyang KB
Busan Kyotong 2 - 0 Cheonan City
Ulsan Dolphins 2 - 2 Ansan Hallelujah

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:29 am

Holyjoe wrote:Early results from today complete with attendances:

Chungju Hummel 1-1 Changwon (600)
Yongin 1-0 Incheon Korail (50)
Daejeon HNP 1-1 Gangneung (60)
Suwon City 2-0 Gimhae (234)

If Yongin played at 6pm-8pm last night, I could have gone. Stupid scheduling.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:36 pm

Code: Select all

Pos Team                 P   W   D   L   F   A Pts  GD
 01 Yongin City           5   4   1   0   7   2  13   5
 02 Goyang Kookmin Bank   5   3   2   0   9   4  11   5
 03 Ulsan Mipo Dockyard   5   3   1   1  11   5  10   6
 04 Changwon City         5   3   1   1   6   4  10   2
 05 Busan Transport       5   3   0   2   4   5   9  -1
 06 Suwon City            5   2   2   1   8   4   8   4
 07 Gangneung City        5   2   2   1   4   3   8   1
 08 Cheonan City          5   2   1   2   6   8   7  -2
 09 Mokpo City            5   1   2   2   6   6   5   0
 10 Ansan Hallelujah      5   1   2   2   6   7   5  -1
 11 Incheon Korail        5   1   0   4   2   7   3  -5
 12 Gimhae FC             5   1   0   4   1   7   3  -6
 13 Daejeon HNP           5   0   2   3   3   6   2  -3
 14 Chungju Hummel        5   0   2   3   4   9   2  -5

Gerd Bibimbapper
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Gerd Bibimbapper » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:58 am

sjc_three wrote:Absolutely in love with Mokpo. The city is fucking great and just had a brilliant evening at the football. Beautiful little stadium, unique.

Stop, stop!
You're playing havoc with my travel plans... :-D

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:22 pm

Gerd Bibimbapper wrote:
sjc_three wrote:Absolutely in love with Mokpo. The city is fucking great and just had a brilliant evening at the football. Beautiful little stadium, unique.

Stop, stop!

The last 2 places we stopped were Mokpo and Yeosu and both were really pretty seaside towns. Alas, Yeosu doesn't have a football team, so might be hard in terms of squeezing into your itinerary, but couldn't recommend Mokpo more highly. Well worth fitting in if you can and there's quite a few other teams in that area with both Jeonju and Gwangju hosting 2 teams, if you're trying to fit as many games in as possible.

On a wider note, I thought the west coast was a great place for travelling. Would have been even better if it was warm enough to swim, but nevertheless, all the little towns along the way, deserted little fishing ports, etc, never a problem finding a place to crash - and the islands, of course. Can't believe how easy it is to get about as well. They all have car ferries connecting them, so you can just drive on and hop from one to the other for about 20 bucks a pop. Just wish I'd had more time, cos there's hundreds of the little bastards. If we really do end up staying here long term, I'd like to dedicate some proper time to it one summer.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:11 am

Aye you've got me thinking now... only been down to Mokpo once but didn't spend any time in the city. A group of us had decided on a spur of the moment trip to Jeju during my first summer in Korea so as it was too late to sort out flights we took the bus down from Suwon to Mokpo and then got the catamaran over to the island. Didn't see much else of Mokpo other than what we could see out of the taxi from the bus station to the ferry terminal. I've heard it's a decent wee place to visit and I was weighing up whether or not to pay a visit to the Mokpo football centre as there's a game there on October 1st - there's football on the Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday of that weekend and I had almost decided on a Busan, Gyeongju, Daegu (or Pohang), Suwon itinerary for the four days, but substituting Mokpo for Gyeongju on the Saturday and Gwangju for Daegu on the Sunday is also appealing. Hmm, decisions...

Gerd Bibimbapper
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Gerd Bibimbapper » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:58 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Aye you've got me thinking now... only been down to Mokpo once but didn't spend any time in the city. A group of us had decided on a spur of the moment trip to Jeju during my first summer in Korea so as it was too late to sort out flights we took the bus down from Suwon to Mokpo and then got the catamaran over to the island. Didn't see much else of Mokpo other than what we could see out of the taxi from the bus station to the ferry terminal. I've heard it's a decent wee place to visit and I was weighing up whether or not to pay a visit to the Mokpo football centre as there's a game there on October 1st - there's football on the Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday of that weekend and I had almost decided on a Busan, Gyeongju, Daegu (or Pohang), Suwon itinerary for the four days, but substituting Mokpo for Gyeongju on the Saturday and Gwangju for Daegu on the Sunday is also appealing. Hmm, decisions...

Holyjoe, you've got me thinking now!
Last time I attempted a sea crossing to Jeju, it ended in failure (season crossings only) so I decided to make the best of it by spending 2(3?) nights in Tongyeong.
I've checked out the 'Ferry to Jeju' page on the vistikorea website.
Do you know if you have to pre-book the ferry from Mokpo over to Jeju, or can you just rock up and buy a ticket just before departure?
Cheers.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:05 am

I don't recall having any problems buying tickets for either leg of the journey to and from Jeju when we went.. in fact I seem to recall the catamaran being rather empty on the way there. Coming back we decided to get the big lumbering Korean ferry, which was essentially one big carpeted room with a snack shop at one side. Our plan was to catch up on much-needed sleep to get rid of pounding hangovers however we didn't factor on countless groups of ajummas sitting around in circles playing clapping games and singing songs for the duration of the extremely slow crossing.

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:35 am

Yeosu is my favorite place in Korea. And while technically Yeosu doesn't have any football, Chunnam Dragons play in the town up the road. Yeosu could use a pro-football team to bring some attention to the town. Some "world expo" is going to be in Yeosu in 2012 or something. You can also fly from Seoul to Yeosu for like 80,000won one way, then take buses to Chunnam. I'd like to try that.

Korea's Space Center is on the island (나로우주센터?) southwest of Yeosu, but it takes almost an hour and half to drive around and down to it. (I drive) I went down to see the first launch!! But it was delayed five minutes before launch. I'll never forget that experience. HOT. Middle of no where and everyone angry it didn't launch. Everyone was so friendly. I remember a dude brought a field camera to photograph the launch. I would have loved to see the result of that shot.

sjc_three wrote:
Gerd Bibimbapper wrote:

Stop, stop!

The last 2 places we stopped were Mokpo and Yeosu and both were really pretty seaside towns. Alas, Yeosu doesn't have a football team, so might be hard in terms of squeezing into your itinerary, but couldn't recommend Mokpo more highly. Well worth fitting in if you can and there's quite a few other teams in that area with both Jeonju and Gwangju hosting 2 teams, if you're trying to fit as many games in as possible.

On a wider note, I thought the west coast was a great place for travelling. Would have been even better if it was warm enough to swim, but nevertheless, all the little towns along the way, deserted little fishing ports, etc, never a problem finding a place to crash - and the islands, of course. Can't believe how easy it is to get about as well. They all have car ferries connecting them, so you can just drive on and hop from one to the other for about 20 bucks a pop. Just wish I'd had more time, cos there's hundreds of the little bastards. If we really do end up staying here long term, I'd like to dedicate some proper time to it one summer.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:56 pm

Urghhhh - just seen this. Serious thinking of ditching Gangneung in favour of it. Been looking forward to that drive up the north east coast though since the fixtures came out. Decisions, decisions. Has anyone been to the bullfighting before? What should I do?

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:25 pm

sjc_three wrote:Urghhhh - just seen this. Serious thinking of ditching Gangneung in favour of it. Been looking forward to that drive up the north east coast though since the fixtures came out. Decisions, decisions. Has anyone been to the bullfighting before? What should I do?

Because of foot and mouth disease it has been cancelled mate so you can go to gangneung

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:48 pm

just because wrote:
sjc_three wrote:Urghhhh - just seen this. Serious thinking of ditching Gangneung in favour of it. Been looking forward to that drive up the north east coast though since the fixtures came out. Decisions, decisions. Has anyone been to the bullfighting before? What should I do?

Because of foot and mouth disease it has been cancelled mate so you can go to gangneung

Absolutely bow to your Korean knowledge mate, but are you absolutely sure? The guy at work said it had been cancelled in March and rescheduled to this weekend and the note in the English page that said it was postponed was just referring to that and kinda got lost in translation. Would you mind having a quick butchers at the Korean page for me? http://www.청도소싸움.kr/
Thanks a lot.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:23 am

Don't know why anyone would want to watch two mismatched opponents fight theatrical and pointless battles which are so rigged that only one can possibly win and which display a sickening, blood hungry attitude to sports....but I suppose if you feel you must then go watch a national league football game. :wink:

Incidentally five minutes research suggests that Korean bullfighting does look more entertaining and is much more acceptable than the Spanish shame.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/03/ ... 2820070328
Bring back King Cha.

Return to “Lower league football”