The "48"

Discussion on National League, K3 League and other related competitions.
sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Re: The "48"

Postby sjc_three » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:09 am

The 4 professional divisions in England. 2 or 3 amateur divisions, can't remember which. Whichever one Hastings Town (as it was) was playing in at the time and similarly, Aldershot - quite a few years ago, so probably 2 or 3 divisions below the Conference.
FA Cup, League Cup, Johnstones Paint Trophy(!), Anglo-Italian Cup(!!) - probably a couple of other meaningless (although they never were to me) trophies that either West Ham or Brighton were involved in.
SPL
Dutch 1st and 2nd divisions.
Dutch Cup, incl Final.
German 1st Division.
Italian 1st Division.
Greek 1st Div.
Bulgarian 1st Div.
Serbian 1st Div.
Korean 1st and 2nd Div.
European CL.
UEFA Cup, incl a couple of finals, Liverpool v Alaves & Feyenoord v Dortmund
Asian CL.
Euro qualifiers.
WC Qualifiers.
International Friendlies.
EURO 96, 00, 04
WC 98, 02, 06
Er... Spanish preseason friendly (I'm scraping the barrel now!)

That's all I can think of...that was fun though! Happy memories!

Edit: Oh year, forgot about watching Beckham sit on the bench for 90 minutes at the Foxborough Stadium in New England a couple of years ago. Did a couple of MLS games about 10 years ago too!
Last edited by sjc_three on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Piggy
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi

Postby Piggy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:58 am

I like to take in games of football wherever I am. If theres a match on and I can get there I like to go. It probably explains why I'm usually single.

From a quick recollection I've been to games in all the English divisions down to at least tier 8 and some others a bit lower, I’m never really sure where some leagues fit in to the pyramid and a variety of cups including FA, League, Zenith Data Systems (for the Boro's first time at Wembley in 1990) plus other incarnations such as Full Members, Freight Rover, Simod and non league stuff like the Vase, Trophy etc.

The top four Scottish divisions plus stuff like the Highland League (Buckie Thistle!) and the Orkney League (watched and turned out for Stromness)

France – 1st Div and pre-season friendlies at lower league grounds

Spain – Top six divisions and a few cups including their cup final.

Italy – 2nd Div (Just one game about ten years ago and Verona clinched promotion in it. I drove around honking my horn afterwards with the rest of them as if I was a lifelong fan).

Portugal – Div 1 and 2

Germany – Just their cup final (I was in Berlin on the weekend it happened to be on)

Bulgaria – Div 1 and 2

Czech Republic – Div 1

Kazakhstan – Div 1

America – Beckham playing for LA Galaxy

Plus a few different grounds around Europe following the Boro on our 2 european campaigns, and tournaments like WC 2006 and 2010, Euro 2008 etc. plus qualifiers and random Champs league stuff. I’ve probably missed some as whilst getting old means I’ve had the opportunity to see plenty of football, it also makes it harder to remember where I’ve been.

toffeebrandon
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby toffeebrandon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:46 pm

A little late to comment but pics of the yourself at the 48 would be nice!

Not been to many myself (and don't know the names of the stadiums) but I've watched Incheon Korail, Nowon Hummel, Suwon BW, Seoul FC, Ansan & Seoul United at home.

I liked the little 'valley' that Incheon 2 play in, Seoul United take the crown for best ground though, spelling out 'SUFC' in bin bags across the seats :)
Ansan & Everton fan

http://www.ansanfc.co.uk

48 club grounds [19]

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:56 am

Nowhere near getting into the 46 club yet but having a look at all the games I've been to in Korea I reckon I am not too far away from having seen all 46 clubs. Planning on watching Namyangju tomorrow at Gyeongju and that will bring me up to 41.

With three of the other five playing in or around Gwangju over the next few weeks, should I maybe start thinking about a "lightweight 46"? :)
Bring back King Cha.

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:09 pm

Careful what you wish for. It could end up being riddled with in-fighting, sectarianism, sour grapes and lack of quality, and before you know it the biggest two clubs will start begging to join the heavyweights (which of course will be laughed at by the powers that be).
:albino:

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:14 pm

Cyclops wrote:Careful what you wish for. It could end up being riddled with in-fighting, sectarianism, sour grapes and lack of quality, and before you know it the biggest two clubs will start begging to join the heavyweights (which of course will be laughed at by the powers that be).
:albino:

If that happens then I'll just hit one of the big two with a tax bill that they can't pay and hope that the other one takes the hint. :-)
Bring back King Cha.

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:45 pm

Actual matches
  • Tancheon, Seongnam (home base)
  • Moran, Seongnam
  • Suwon (twice, Seongnam away matches)
  • Seoul (once, Seongnam away match)
  • Incheon (once, Seongnam away match)
  • Ulsan (once, Seongnam away match)
  • Yongin University (once, saw 75% of the match in serious rain)
  • Yongin FC Soccer Center (twice, neither time were complete games)
  • Chunnam Dragons (once, vs Gyeongnam )

Visited, no match
  • Yongin Police University : Supposedly the site where the police team play. I could be way off. Images on twitpic.com
  • Pohang SteelYard
  • Bucheon (visited the archery range next door a few times)

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:48 pm

Finally made it to Suwon City's current ground (Suwon WC mini stadium) for yesterday's National Sports Fest extravaganza. Had feared I wouldn't make it this season as Suwon refuse to play home games when I'm not at work. After getting to Sangmu back in March I've now been to both of this season's 'new grounds', thus extending my membership for another year. Hurrah! 2012 is scheduled to be my last full season in Korea (cue sarcastic comments from njs etc.), so I'll likely get booted out of the club at the end of 2013. Look forward to welcoming new members before that fateful day so that this proud organisation can stay in existence...

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:00 pm

Cyclops wrote:Finally made it to Suwon City's current ground (Suwon WC mini stadium) for yesterday's National Sports Fest extravaganza. Had feared I wouldn't make it this season as Suwon refuse to play home games when I'm not at work. After getting to Sangmu back in March I've now been to both of this season's 'new grounds', thus extending my membership for another year. Hurrah! 2012 is scheduled to be my last full season in Korea (cue sarcastic comments from njs etc.), so I'll likely get booted out of the club at the end of 2013. Look forward to welcoming new members before that fateful day so that this proud organisation can stay in existence...

How many of us will be at 숭의 for the first Incheon match there?

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Cyclops wrote:2012 is scheduled to be my last full season in Korea.

:( Where to next?

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:27 pm

I have 18 more months on my current visa/contract, and aiming to make that the last in Korea and head a bit closer to home, ideally somewhere in Europe.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:04 am

I made it to 20 grounds during my year in Korea, if you include four Sunday League grounds I played at.

Not bad, considering my goal at the time was to attend as many Busan I'cons matches as possible, rather than ground hop:

Busan Asiad World Cup Stadium
Daegu World Cup Stadium
Daejeon World Cup Stadium
Gwangju World Cup Stadium
Pohang Steelyard
Ulsan Munsu World Cup Stadium
Bucheon Stadium
Anyang Stadium
Riverside Football Ground I (Daegu)
Gimcheon Main Stadium
Gumi Civic Stadium
Jeonbuk World Cup Stadium
Ulsan Munsu World Cup Auxiliary Stadium
Busan Sango High School (Sunday League)
Yangsan Stadium Auxiliary Pitch (Sunday League)
Daegu Civic Stadium
Pusan National University (Sunday League)
Namhae Sports Ground
Pukyong National University (Sunday League)
Tongyeong Stadium

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:53 am

Did Gumi used to have a team? I walked past the stadium when we went to the volleyball there. Wondered if they ever used it anymore.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:01 pm

Gumi, Gimcheon and the Daegu Riverside were all used for football at the 2003 Daegu Summer Universiade.

Almost got attacked by an angry Chinese mob at the tiny Riverside ground... but that's another story for my book. COUGH
Last edited by MipoFanatic on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:37 pm

Couple questions.

Is this still the 48 club? With Sangju? Is it the 49 club? Didn't some teams in K3 disappear?

Where do the R-League Police play?

Return to “Lower league football”