2017 K3 League Advanced (D4) season

Discussion on National League, K3 League and other related competitions.
paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Re: 2017 K3 League Advanced (D4) season

Postby paquebot » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:53 pm

paquebot wrote:[126] Yangju 2:2 Cheongju City (124)

Forgot to post a write-up about this match, but it was decent viewing. Yangju looked fairly equal in terms of skill and effort, so that's a promising sign for next season.

Mainly wanted to mention that midway through the first half I was told by an official to take off my Yangju top, as it was apparently causing the assistant referee to mistakenly call for offside.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Postby eujin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:57 pm

So I'm in Korea for the next week. How do I find out reliably about fixtures? It looks like a lot of leagues are going into playoff phases and a lot of the fixture lists are incomplete. When and where do the playoff matches get fixed? It should be easier to get to a football match than a baseball game.
Last edited by eujin on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:20 am

The last of the regular season K3 Basic matches take place tomorrow (Sunday), with kick-off taking place at 2pm:

Pyeongtaek vs. Goyang
Pyeongchang vs. Seoul Jungnang
Siheung vs. Busan
Uijeongbu vs. Seoul United

Uijeongbu's match would be easiest to attend from Seoul; hop on Line 1 and get off at Nogyang Station. You could do a bit of walking from there or grab a taxi to the stadium.

These are the upcoming play-off fixtures in the K3, assuming I'm reading the schedule in my handy-dandy 2017 K3 League Guidebook correctly:

K3 Basic -- 29 October -- PO Round 1-1; 2nd vs. 5th
K3 Basic -- 29 October -- PO Round 1-2; 3rd vs. 4th
K3 Basic -- 5 November -- PO Round 2; PO1-1 Winner vs. PO1-2 Winner

K3 Advanced -- 4 November -- Championship PO Round 1-1; 2nd vs. 5th
K3 Advanced -- 4 November -- Championship PO Round 1-2; 3rd vs. 4th
K3 Advanced -- 11 November -- Championship PO Round 2; PO1-1 Winner vs. PO1-2 Winner

K3 Advanced -- 18 November -- Championship Match; PO2 Winner vs. Pocheon
K3 Advanced -- 25 November -- Championship Match; Pocheon vs. PO2 Winner
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:29 am

Thanks. Is there then a two week vacation period before the playoffs start on 29th October? I'm only here until the 24th and tomorrow might be a bit difficult.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:37 am

Looks that way, yeah. Not sure what's going on in any of the higher divisions though as it's been a while since I've paid them any attention.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:40 am

Round 22
[Match #] Result (Attendance)

[127] Paju 0:0 Gyeongju (231)
[128] Cheongju FC 0:0 Pocheon (116)
[129] Hwaseong 2:0 Yangpyeong (262)
[130] Jeonju 0:4 Cheongju City (220)
[131] Yangju 3:0 Gimpo (284)
[132] Chuncheon 0:5 Icheon (227)

Final Standings

01 Pocheon -- 44 pts
02 Cheongju City -- 35 pts +10
03 Hwaseong -- 35 pts +4
04 Yangpyeong -- 35 pts -2
05 Gimpo -- 33 pts
06 Icheon -- 32 pts
07 Cheongju FC -- 30 pts
08 Gyeongju -- 26 pts +0
09 Jeonju -- 26 pts -6
10 Chuncheon -- 24 pts -6
11 Paju -- 24 pts -9
12 Yangju -- 16 pts

Play-Offs

PO1-1: Cheongju City vs. Gimpo
PO1-2: Hwaseong vs. Yangpyeong

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:13 pm

paquebot wrote:[131] Yangju 3:0 Gimpo (284)

Brilliant day yesterday for Yangju, with two goals coming from open play and their third from a penalty. Yangju's keeper also saved a Gimpo penalty plus made a couple of fingertip saves to keep a clean sheet. Good communication between players, some nice passing to get past the offside trap and release players down the wings, and a few occasions when Yangju's forwards were pressuring Gimpo deep in their own half and forcing turnovers. Caretaker coach 김철 has done a good job of getting the team playing at a higher level; I wonder where Yangju would have finished in the standings were he in charge for a bit longer.

Speaking of coaches, I was told after the match that the team was looking to hire 김성일 for next season. His previous coaching experience includes Incheon United (2015), Bucheon FC's U18 side (2014), and Seongnam Cheonma Ilhwa (2007-2012). Not bad, though I wonder what made him interested in working at Yangju.

Five yellow cards for Yangju during the match, though two of those were for "time-wasting". The second, for our keeper, was deserved, but I'm a little conflicted on the first. One of our players set the ball down for a free kick, called to a teammate twice to get his attention, then lifted his arm and started running toward the ball to resume play. As he was running to the ball the ref whistled for the infraction and issued a card. I agree that time wasting is annoying and should be minimized, but the timing in that case seemed a little off. While he's calling to a teammate? Sure. If he ran at the ball and then stopped? Okay. But while he's running and just about to make contact? I don't know.

After the match I asked about getting one of next season's jerseys - because why not? - and was not only told they'd make one up for me but also given shirts from this season and last season. At least they look a lot better than what Gimpo were sporting on Saturday; I'm definitely not a fan of gradient coloring for player numbers.

And, finally, Homer Simpson made an appearance at the match:

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:21 am

K3 Advanced Play-Offs Round 1
4 November 2017

PO 1-1 Cheongju City (2nd) vs Gimpo (5th)
Attendance: 452

20' ..... Cheongju City 0:1 Gimpo
41' ..... Cheongju City 1:1 Gimpo
45'+1. Cheongju City 2:1 Gimpo
60' ..... Cheongju City 3:1 Gimpo
72' ..... Cheongju City 3:2 Gimpo
90'+8. Cheongju City 3:3 Gimpo (penalty)

Looks like this one was quite the thriller: 100 minutes long with Gimpo pulling level from the penalty spot deep in injury time after having one of their players sent off with a second yellow in the 92nd minute. Perhaps worth noting that Cheongju made a substitution in the 92nd minute (tied to the red card Gimpo received?) and also switched keepers in the 94th minute.

PO1-2 Hwaseong (3rd) vs. Yangpyeong (4th)
Attendance: 550

45' ..... Hwaseong 0:1 Yangpyeong
59' ..... Hwaseong 1:1 Yangpyeong

Another draw, this time in a match that stretched to the 97th minute. And again, a player received a red card in injury time. This time it was Hwaseong's 한범서 picking up a second yellow in the 93rd minute. According to the match report, Yangpyeong had two players injured so badly that they were taken to the hospital from the stadium -- 김여호수아 in minute 10 and 이정헌 as soon as full-time was called.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:17 pm

K3 Advanced Play-Offs Round 2
11 November 2017

Cheongju City 0:0 Hwaseong
Attendance: 398

Lower attendance in this fixture than either of the Round 1 play-offs. Should we attribute that to the match falling on Peppero Day? No goals, but it looks like Hwaseong's 김재연 was sent off in the 83rd minute from a second yellow card offense.

A 0:0 draw was enough for Cheongju City to advance to the championship match against Pocheon. First leg this weekend (18 November) in Cheongju with the second leg scheduled for the weekend after that (25 November) in Pocheon.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:57 pm

K3 Advanced Championship Series, Match 1
18 November 2017

Cheongju City 1:0 Pocheon
Attendance: 710

Cheongju scored in the 88th minute to give themselves the advantage going into the second leg next week.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:12 am

4-0 second leg, then?

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:12 am

K3 Advanced Championship Series, Match 2
25 November 2017

Pocheon 2:0 Cheongju City
Attendance: 614

Serious disappointment for Cheongju City. They had a one-goal lead going into this match and it was a Cheongju City own-goal that made the score 1:0 in the first half of the return leg. No more scoring for the rest of the standard 90 minutes, so the match went on to extra time. The duck shaggers scored at 105(+1), which was enough to give them yet another league championship. Hooray, I guess.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:17 pm

Why don't they go up to the National League?

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:11 pm

MipoFanatic wrote:Why don't they go up to the National League?

Because nobody cares about the National League?

That might not actually be true, but it's probably better for the team to be a big duck in a small pond than moving up to the National League and not really knowing what to expect. Winning the K3 season after season probably keeps the mayor, citizens (any who care about local football), and sponsors happy, which is a decent situation for the club to be in. While fans might relish the thought of Pocheon playing against stronger opponents in the National League, the mayor and sponsors might not be as keen to pay out more money to keep the team competitive against stronger opponents.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:06 am

Good point: no financial incentive to go up. Korean club football needs a complete rebuild.

Return to “Lower league football”